European directory spam

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
I received a spam today from a free directory that advertises as a free European booking directory. This line caught my eye (emphasis mine)
  • All confirmed bookings are mailed to you along with client credit card details as guarantee
  • All communications are via e-mail
angry_smile.gif
Sure enough. They are sending credit card data through email...which is not ever secure. This raises an interesting situation too. Seemingly you would think that the responsibility is theirs should cc data fall into the wrong hands. However, I think it would actually be the innkeepers.
Here's my logic. The directory sending data through email has no aggreement with a credit card processor. All the processing is on your end so you are the only one with a security agreement under contract. Signing up for the service, you are aware that the info is coming through email (which is not allowed by your contract) and so you are aware that the data is not secure. If you use the service, then you are accepting the responsibility for the data and its mis-handling.
And of course the other aspect is that they are overseas, so good luck with taking them to court to get their share of the penalties out of them
I believe this is an example when a "free" listing could become VERY costly.

Thanks for the heads up. I tend to avoid European directories as it just encourages more fraudulelnt bookings for groups larger than I could ever accommodate.

Thanks for the heads up. I tend to avoid European directories as it just encourages more fraudulelnt bookings for groups larger than I could ever accommodate..
What you mean you do not want the 12 ordained priests or 6 honeymoon couples for 10 days.

Thanks for the heads up. I tend to avoid European directories as it just encourages more fraudulelnt bookings for groups larger than I could ever accommodate..
What you mean you do not want the 12 ordained priests or 6 honeymoon couples for 10 days.
Copperhead said:
Yeah then they want to overpay you with a bogus cashiers check and ask for money back. I have a fake cashiers check on my office wall that is so perfect, you would never know its a fake. Water marks and all. I keep it as a constant reminder to stay vigilant.

I'm still trying to figure out how to book the Nigerian who wants to put a million francs into a swiss account in my name.
smiley-whacky011.gif

At least these scammers are consistent in their saturation of every market out there.
We junk just about all of it without even getting a luagh out of it anymore. I'd rather spend my free computer time with you all.

Back