Face Book Question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been very active with our Facebook page. So many people, including myself, are on Facebook way too much so we're trying to get into their status streams so we can get more exposure.
As a Page, you can Like other Pages. I've done this with all the other local businesses that have a Facebook presence as well as Pages for the Forestry Division, Sheriff's Dept, State Parks, etc. When in admin mode, I can see my Page's wall which includes all the status updates of the other Pages that I have Liked - just like looking at your own personal wall to see what family & friends are up to. This helps me keep up with what's going on in town. I can then Share things from other Pages onto my wall - such as an event at the local winery, an accident closing down our main thoroughfare, sale going on at the furniture store, etc. The other business can see that I've shared their link (creating goodwill) and I've created another chance for our audience to see our name on their feeds.
I also created a Google calendar (free) with all the events happening in the local 3 county area. I was able to make a special tab on our FB page that shows our calendar. I'll regularly post events - again to get our name in people's feeds and build loyalty (I want them to come to us for the most extensive event calendar).
We regularly ask our guests if they are on FB and then ask them to Check-In (a FB feature that lets others see where an individual is located) and to Like our page. We've had guests post great reviews on our page. I also post comments from our in-house guest book. Just this weekend I got a new Like on our page because someone on the Scenic Railway was talking about their stay with us and how much they enjoyed it. The new guy posted on our page that he Liked us as a result of that conversation.
I've been really pleased how well the page has taken off and the more Likes we get the more exposure we get. It's becoming an excellent marketing venue.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueRidgeInnBedandBreakfast.
Where is it that lets you edit what is in the boxes "trip advisor reviews", "calendar". etc? I haven't been able t figure that out yet.
I've been using an app called Woobox. I stumbled across it trying to find a program that would allow me to make a tab & put HTML on it. I used this ap once to create a Special - it had an expiration date, gave out custom discount codes, allowed you to set special requirements like "fan has to get 3 new likes on your page before they can get the discount code" or "fan has to share this page 5 times to get discount code" or "guest must Like the page before they can get discount code". Pretty neat. I just searched & played around until I found something that worked. I can't remember how I got TripAdivsor on there. I believe I found the instructions & link in TripAdvisor itself. You can do a Google search for "how do I add TripAdvisor reviews to my facebook page?" and you'll get some pages of instructions. That's how I figured it all out - googling & reading as much as I can. Each thing I read put one more piece of the puzzle in my head until I understood it.
Sorry I don't have specific instructions =( I fumbled so much trying to get it to work that I don't really remember what finally did it!
There is a FB app that allows you to insert the code for the calendar. I cannot get the FB app to load. I click the link for Google calendar app and nothing shows up. Until I can get that, I can't insert the code I copied from Google calendar.
I agree that GC is ugly. I had it all set up with different colors for different kinds of events, it only shows up as the default color no matter what. I set ALL of the events to be 'full day' rather than a particular time. I do not have time to go to every website and find out what time an event opens and closes. If I need to do it, or if a guest wants to know, the URL is in the event info.
I found a Facebook app that is made for Google Calendar (searched FB for "Google Calendar"). Well, sounded good but... I kept getting an error saying that it was not compatible with secure server (https://). Google switched to secure server yeah-many years ago and the app did not update. So, it won't work at all.
RE: GC only showing up in default color - do you think clearing your cache would help? Sometimes it works on weird things.

I have been very active with our Facebook page. So many people, including myself, are on Facebook way too much so we're trying to get into their status streams so we can get more exposure.
As a Page, you can Like other Pages. I've done this with all the other local businesses that have a Facebook presence as well as Pages for the Forestry Division, Sheriff's Dept, State Parks, etc. When in admin mode, I can see my Page's wall which includes all the status updates of the other Pages that I have Liked - just like looking at your own personal wall to see what family & friends are up to. This helps me keep up with what's going on in town. I can then Share things from other Pages onto my wall - such as an event at the local winery, an accident closing down our main thoroughfare, sale going on at the furniture store, etc. The other business can see that I've shared their link (creating goodwill) and I've created another chance for our audience to see our name on their feeds.
I also created a Google calendar (free) with all the events happening in the local 3 county area. I was able to make a special tab on our FB page that shows our calendar. I'll regularly post events - again to get our name in people's feeds and build loyalty (I want them to come to us for the most extensive event calendar).
We regularly ask our guests if they are on FB and then ask them to Check-In (a FB feature that lets others see where an individual is located) and to Like our page. We've had guests post great reviews on our page. I also post comments from our in-house guest book. Just this weekend I got a new Like on our page because someone on the Scenic Railway was talking about their stay with us and how much they enjoyed it. The new guy posted on our page that he Liked us as a result of that conversation.
I've been really pleased how well the page has taken off and the more Likes we get the more exposure we get. It's becoming an excellent marketing venue.
Where is it that lets you edit what is in the boxes "trip advisor reviews", "calendar". etc? I haven't been able t figure that out yet.
I've been using an app called Woobox. I stumbled across it trying to find a program that would allow me to make a tab & put HTML on it. I used this ap once to create a Special - it had an expiration date, gave out custom discount codes, allowed you to set special requirements like "fan has to get 3 new likes on your page before they can get the discount code" or "fan has to share this page 5 times to get discount code" or "guest must Like the page before they can get discount code". Pretty neat. I just searched & played around until I found something that worked. I can't remember how I got TripAdivsor on there. I believe I found the instructions & link in TripAdvisor itself. You can do a Google search for "how do I add TripAdvisor reviews to my facebook page?" and you'll get some pages of instructions. That's how I figured it all out - googling & reading as much as I can. Each thing I read put one more piece of the puzzle in my head until I understood it.
Sorry I don't have specific instructions =( I fumbled so much trying to get it to work that I don't really remember what finally did it!
There is a FB app that allows you to insert the code for the calendar. I cannot get the FB app to load. I click the link for Google calendar app and nothing shows up. Until I can get that, I can't insert the code I copied from Google calendar.
I agree that GC is ugly. I had it all set up with different colors for different kinds of events, it only shows up as the default color no matter what. I set ALL of the events to be 'full day' rather than a particular time. I do not have time to go to every website and find out what time an event opens and closes. If I need to do it, or if a guest wants to know, the URL is in the event info.
I found a Facebook app that is made for Google Calendar (searched FB for "Google Calendar"). Well, sounded good but... I kept getting an error saying that it was not compatible with secure server (https://). Google switched to secure server yeah-many years ago and the app did not update. So, it won't work at all.
RE: GC only showing up in default color - do you think clearing your cache would help? Sometimes it works on weird things.
[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]This from GOOGLE HELP:[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]"Color coding is private to you and anybody who can edit your calendar. People with whom you share your calendar will not be able to see the colors you’ve assigned to events unless you give them “Makes changes and manage sharing” rights to your calendar"[/COLOR]
So what good does that do anyone else??? Not much.

[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]This from GOOGLE HELP:[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]"Color coding is private to you and anybody who can edit your calendar. People with whom you share your calendar will not be able to see the colors you’ve assigned to events unless you give them “Makes changes and manage sharing” rights to your calendar"[/COLOR]
So what good does that do anyone else??? Not much.
Thanks. Never saw that and wish I had as I was peeved I went thru and did that and it didn't show up!

Back