Facebook Ads

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FB campaign is over. It created no current bookings, but I did get 249 clicks at an average of $.44 per click. It's difficult to tell if this was really "worth it" or not. I targeted to my "perfect guest", so who knows how many of those 249 clicks added us to their "Like" list for possible bookings in the future. The campaign cost $110
Would I do it again? Probably not..
Thank you for the update.

The FB campaign is over. It created no current bookings, but I did get 249 clicks at an average of $.44 per click. It's difficult to tell if this was really "worth it" or not. I targeted to my "perfect guest", so who knows how many of those 249 clicks added us to their "Like" list for possible bookings in the future. The campaign cost $110
Thanks for sharing! It's very hard to track the long term effectiveness of these things. Even though your 249 clickers didn't buy right away, some will be more likely to buy at a future date now that you're in their frame of reference. And if any became fans, they'll get even more exposure to you over time. Multiple impressions build a sense of trust in consumers. I call it the 'slow drip' marketing strategy. :)
I will likely try a campaign (later, after bug season!) and will let you know how it goes.

The thing is, you can put out the line but need to have a HOOK. That is the whole BUY NOW mentality that works in sales.
I have had tweets from a couple Inns in other states that really draw me in, they are usually for THIS weekend only, and I cannot get away without any notice like that, but perhaps others can? A hard day at work and they see it and say, "I'm going!"
RED HOT SPECIAL!
BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL!
LAST CHANCE!
FINAL!
Advertising might not be enough in this economy, as we seem to have "the planners" and those off the cuff who want packages and last minute escapes.

The thing is, you can put out the line but need to have a HOOK. That is the whole BUY NOW mentality that works in sales.
I have had tweets from a couple Inns in other states that really draw me in, they are usually for THIS weekend only, and I cannot get away without any notice like that, but perhaps others can? A hard day at work and they see it and say, "I'm going!"
RED HOT SPECIAL!
BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL!
LAST CHANCE!
FINAL!
Advertising might not be enough in this economy, as we seem to have "the planners" and those off the cuff who want packages and last minute escapes..
Yeah, we've got to appeal to all of these folks. It's not that easy!

RED HOT SPECIAL!
BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL!
LAST CHANCE!
FINAL!
Advertising might not be enough in this economy, as we seem to have "the planners" and those off the cuff who want packages and last minute escapes..
My ad was set up for a FB special...book 2 nights in May and receive a 10% discount on entire stay.

JB has a point! Additionally, we have to remember that FB Ads are unlike the PPC ads on Google etc. Google PPC can be very targeted, limited to certain regions and those looking for just what you have to offer. The ads of FB are much more random spots, haven't really looked into this, but you are able to target certain regions or areas (I guess)? People see your ad and may just say this sounds interesting or I wounder where this place is... Trouble is they most likely are not in the market for a getaway at the current time and even if these people look at your place, how many can just jump at a whim and take a getaway within a month?
Taking a peek at some of the ads, some are whim purchase type things - special deals on purses, rings etc... A couple of travel ads but were more geared to planning a trip in the summer or fall not a 'last minute' type of thing. In my feed I have been seeing one B&B/cottage ad for about a month now. It is a basic ad, not targeting any given time, I believe it is targeting a certain distance from the place as I am about 2hrs from them.
Well just additional food for thought here.

You mean like the red lawn and garden tractor from sears on the right side of this forum every time I log in? I still have not clicked on that or the Tommy Hilfiger cologne ad right below it.

JB has a point! Additionally, we have to remember that FB Ads are unlike the PPC ads on Google etc. Google PPC can be very targeted, limited to certain regions and those looking for just what you have to offer. The ads of FB are much more random spots, haven't really looked into this, but you are able to target certain regions or areas (I guess)? People see your ad and may just say this sounds interesting or I wounder where this place is... Trouble is they most likely are not in the market for a getaway at the current time and even if these people look at your place, how many can just jump at a whim and take a getaway within a month?
Taking a peek at some of the ads, some are whim purchase type things - special deals on purses, rings etc... A couple of travel ads but were more geared to planning a trip in the summer or fall not a 'last minute' type of thing. In my feed I have been seeing one B&B/cottage ad for about a month now. It is a basic ad, not targeting any given time, I believe it is targeting a certain distance from the place as I am about 2hrs from them.
Well just additional food for thought here..
copperhead said:
The ads of FB are much more random spots, haven't really looked into this, but you are able to target certain regions or areas (I guess)?
You can target the ads on FB very specifically in terms of the demographic of the viewer - age, gender, location, marital status, interests, etc. The usual example of this is an ad for wedding services can be targeted to women between 25 and 35 in a specific city whose status is engaged.
You are right, though, that they might not be looking to book a vacation right now, since FB is not a search engine. For our potential guests, you could target a geographic region and then hope that they become a fan and will book with you when they are looking for a vacation because they follow you on FB. But an immediate booking is probably not as likely with a FB 'like' as it is with a google search.

Well just additional food for thought here..
copperhead said:
The ads of FB are much more random spots, haven't really looked into this, but you are able to target certain regions or areas (I guess)?
You can target the ads on FB very specifically in terms of the demographic of the viewer - age, gender, location, marital status, interests, etc. The usual example of this is an ad for wedding services can be targeted to women between 25 and 35 in a specific city whose status is engaged.
You are right, though, that they might not be looking to book a vacation right now, since FB is not a search engine. For our potential guests, you could target a geographic region and then hope that they become a fan and will book with you when they are looking for a vacation because they follow you on FB. But an immediate booking is probably not as likely with a FB 'like' as it is with a google search.
muirford said:
copperhead said:
Exactly my point. FB may be a good spot to advertise for the future as in "Hay, We're Here, Think of Us when you need a break." But for a fast return on investment, I do not see this happening. And the cost of each click, what was it? .44 each? I would rather invest in PPC Google spots at that or a little more and target those actually looking to visit here & need a place to stay!

I just created my first FB ad...
It targets alumni of our university, 27 years or older, any marital status or gender, living anywhere in the U.S., not currently associated with our B&B, who are interested in (i.e., like) our university's athletics or our town. This works out to only about 480 people out of the 400,000,000 on FB. The cost per click is around $0.51.
In about 24 hours, I've had 150 impressions and no clicks. I'm happy about that. So far I've spent no money but told people who love my town and my university that we are here.
I'll report more later.
=)
Kk.

I just created my first FB ad...
It targets alumni of our university, 27 years or older, any marital status or gender, living anywhere in the U.S., not currently associated with our B&B, who are interested in (i.e., like) our university's athletics or our town. This works out to only about 480 people out of the 400,000,000 on FB. The cost per click is around $0.51.
In about 24 hours, I've had 150 impressions and no clicks. I'm happy about that. So far I've spent no money but told people who love my town and my university that we are here.
I'll report more later.
=)
Kk..
Now that is good targeted marketing, YS. That 480 # will go up and as it does the clicks will start. Until then no # spent but that does not mean that people do not see your name on the side and the more times they see that, the more it will stick in their heads even without the click thru. There are 2-3 FB ads that I have not clicked thru but I now have them in my memory book for future use.
Good luck with this.

$110 makes FB too rich for our blood. Thank you for reporting back.

$110 makes FB too rich for our blood. Thank you for reporting back.
It depends on the keywords you use and how long you run the ad. It's worth checking it out to see what you might have to pay.

Just went to use my coupon from FB, but because I don't trust them I read the policies. (Also couldn't figure out how to cancel the ad if I wanted to.)
OK, this was in the terms and conditions...
You can cancel the ad but they don't tell you how. (So, research is needed.) They will take the ad down, but until it comes down (not immediate) you have to continue to pay for it.
If you submit your credit card for payment you are giving them permission to retrieve a business and/or personal credit report at any time. (Stopped right there, removed all info from form, will never post an ad on FB.)
Just wanted to let folks know because there is no reason FB needs to know anything about my credit other than the card is valid, just like any other purcase I make.

Just went to use my coupon from FB, but because I don't trust them I read the policies. (Also couldn't figure out how to cancel the ad if I wanted to.)
You can cancel the ad but they don't tell you how. (So, research is needed.) They will take the ad down, but until it comes down (not immediate) you have to continue to pay for it.
If you submit your credit card for payment you are giving them permission to retrieve a business and/or personal credit report at any time. (Stopped right there, removed all info from form, will never post an ad on FB.)
Just wanted to let folks know because there is no reason FB needs to know anything about my credit other than the card is valid, just like any other purcase I make..
Morticia said:
Just wanted to let folks know because there is no reason FB needs to know anything about my credit other than the card is valid, just like any other purcase I make.
Wow! Good catch. I would NEVER have presumed something like that would be there, and, of course, would never be able to fight it after-the-fact (if I ever even found out).

I placed an ad om FB for the Y and X generation in DC and female only, I will report back if anything comes from it. I set it for only a certain amount of days.

Back