Failed experiment - back to basics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
When we moved in, I put my porch furniture from the old house on the front porch. Never liked it because it was a little too big. But it worked for three years until I got around to getting what I really wanted. Rocking Chairs. What is more "New England" than a front porch with rocking chairs? Loved the look. Hated the chairs.
They were too big. Not comfortable - you couldn't touch the floor with your feet! They hit the house. When someone moved them, they made marks on my beautiful porch deck. AND, they aren't that sturdy.
So, today, I ordered 4 outdoor wicker chairs with matching end tables. Done. Just chairs. Not as scenic or romantic as the rockers, but they won't hit the house. And, best of all - they stack for storage!

Love the idea of rockers, but for space I can't have them either, got tired of chasing the plastic chairs in the winter winds, so built wooden benches, swing at the end of the porch, good most times, but kids do like to bang it into the railing.

We had a rocking chair in every room. Gone. I kept catching my sandals on the rockers when I was cleaning. And, uncomfortable to sit in to read.
Moved furniture around and got 2 comfy chairs and a table with lamp in every room. Happy camper.
2 rockers on the front porch. I like the wicker idea. That's really beachy.

Love the idea of rockers, but for space I can't have them either, got tired of chasing the plastic chairs in the winter winds, so built wooden benches, swing at the end of the porch, good most times, but kids do like to bang it into the railing..
I'd love to have swings. Even more romantic than rockers. But the porch is only 8 feet wide.

I have a glider and a wicker arm chair on my front porch. We had benches at our kitchen table in Illinois because there was not enough room for chairs. One of those benches is also on the porch as a sort of table. All are used. There are also flat tops to the porch wall and many times we have had guests on glider, perched on the railing for want of a better word in addition to extra chairs. We have had several mini-family reunions on this porch. It is my guest common area.

I have a glider and a wicker arm chair on my front porch. We had benches at our kitchen table in Illinois because there was not enough room for chairs. One of those benches is also on the porch as a sort of table. All are used. There are also flat tops to the porch wall and many times we have had guests on glider, perched on the railing for want of a better word in addition to extra chairs. We have had several mini-family reunions on this porch. It is my guest common area..
I looked at gliders. sort of the best of both worlds.

Love the idea of rockers, but for space I can't have them either, got tired of chasing the plastic chairs in the winter winds, so built wooden benches, swing at the end of the porch, good most times, but kids do like to bang it into the railing..
I'd love to have swings. Even more romantic than rockers. But the porch is only 8 feet wide.
Our porch is only about 6 feet wide, but long (in front of guest rooms), swing is across the width of the porch at the end, mostly benefits folks in that specific room. Maxine's dad built the swing for us around the time we came to the motel.
Now for giggles, the back story on the swing. Maxine's dad found one at the dump, thought it looked good and brought it home, hung it in the yard. Easter I was taking a video of little ones hunting Easter eggs, heard a noise and turned to film Maxine, our daughter and the bottom of that swing hit the ground, sure wish I could find what became of that tape, anyway dad copied the design of the broken swing and made new swings for a number of the kids.

I have a glider and a wicker arm chair on my front porch. We had benches at our kitchen table in Illinois because there was not enough room for chairs. One of those benches is also on the porch as a sort of table. All are used. There are also flat tops to the porch wall and many times we have had guests on glider, perched on the railing for want of a better word in addition to extra chairs. We have had several mini-family reunions on this porch. It is my guest common area..
I looked at gliders. sort of the best of both worlds.
Have a glider on our porch (more in front of of our area) that mom and dad purchased in the 1940's when I was about 5, sort of low for me these days.

I have to say, when we find several guests, who, before this, never knew each other, talking and laughing on the porch, it brings me joy. The best part of running an inn.

I bought a nice wooden, two person love-seat style swing for under the huge black walnut. I liked it. Then about 5 years ago, a 300 pound guest came to say "I'm sorry ..." I haven't repaired it. I probably will build my own, rated to 800 pounds.

WE got the chairs. They are perfect..
Great! We have a plastic white wicker love seat and two matching chairs with a coffee table under a big shady maple tree for guests. They love to sit out and the set looks really appealing from the road. You are going to appreciate the ease of care!

Back