FB "Community" pages

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgirouard

Reaction score
Hope this is the right part of the forum.
It's always something.
We had company this past week - friend/family company, not paying guests. I get up this morning to see my dear friend has "become" a fan of our place on FB, which I think is weird since she was one of the first to join/like our fan page when I set it up.
Um, no. Not our page. Someone (I'm thinking FB) set up a "community" page for our business. So far, my friend is the only "fan."
The more I look at this, the more I think that FB set this page up. Like a TA/ Wikipedia wannabe. I'm pretty unhappy right now.
FWIW, here is our fan page and here is the new-we-had-nothing-to-do-with-it page.
Here's what FB itself says about "Communiuty Pages:"
Community Pages are a new type of Page that enable you to see what people are saying about the things that matter to you, and discover the friends and people who share these connections with you. They are similar to any other Page to which you can connect, although they won’t generate stories in your News Feed, and won’t be maintained by a single author. Where available for the relevant topic, they also show content that Facebook has licensed from Wikipedia.
We think your experience on Facebook will improve as your profile is turned into a living map of all the connections that matter to you, instead of a static list of your interests.
I am not happy about this in general (just because someone ELSE has created yet another site that I will need to monitor), but I REALLY have my nose bent out of joint over the fact that FB has given this community page the same name as our fan page. Do NOT try tell me that won't confuse people. From personal experience, I can tell you it will.

From reading various articles and help responses on FB, I get the impression that anyone can create a community page (not sure if that's accurate). So I emailed my friend to ask if she created it (which I didn't think she would have, but you never know). Turns out, she hadn't - but when she went to my PERSONAL profile, there was a link there for my employer (our BnB). The link was set by FB, and sent her to this community page. I could find no way to set the link back to our site, so I deleted all work information in my profile and re-entered the BnB's url in my contact information.

Thanks for sharing this. They've done the same for mine! It's outrageous. If you type the name of your business in the search box, it now shows up 2 pages. Hotel (which is your official) and "Company" which is this FB created page!

Thanks for sharing this. They've done the same for mine! It's outrageous. If you type the name of your business in the search box, it now shows up 2 pages. Hotel (which is your official) and "Company" which is this FB created page!.
Hopefully they miss mine. So far it's just the one.

Back