First Confused Guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was the entire message as well.
It would not matter to some people what you write in your canned reply, they think they had a firm reservation and only see the words reservation or confirmation and think all is right with the world.
As has been noted repeatedly here, people don't read! They assume.

It would not matter to some people what you write in your canned reply, they think they had a firm reservation and only see the words reservation or confirmation and think all is right with the world.
As has been noted repeatedly here, people don't read! They assume..
Copperhead said:
As has been noted repeatedly here, people don't read! They assume.
Some never open the confirmation email. They see the subject: Confirmation, and that's enough. I've had them call from the road to say, 'I'm reading the confirmation now and...' fill in the blank about whatever it is they have concerns about 15 minutes before arrival!

Thanks to you guys I am rethinking how I have my Webervations request set up. I currently have the CC as an option since this is for a request not a firm reservation. I may change my toon on this one - as it is most people that do not want to put their CC online will call to reserve anyway, this just completes a step. - Thanks!
I will however not change from using Webervations as a request rather than a firm reservation as I still get a good many bookings by phone while away from the B&B.

For some reason, I think that there are guests out there that don't think that they need a confirmation. Your case was even worse, because he assumed that you had a room for them by filling out the request form.
We had some folks show up an hour before regular check-in. I had checked my reservation system after getting home from the store & they had booked the same day. Turns out that they booked from the C&VB. I've straightened that out with them that same day reservations need to CALL ME!! I've had a couple of other same day rezs since that happened. Saved my skin by adding a note on the rez system too that reservations within 24 hrs of stay need to CALL. You know that when you're a small operation & you have other jobs, it is really hard to take the drop ins.
Maybe we all need to put something on our sites that says "Your stay is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation from the innkeeper.".
This is what the automated response from Webervations says for me:
A room has been reserved for you online and cannot be reserved with any other online reservation. This is an automatic email to let you know that your reservation request has been successfully submitted. You will receive a confirmation email after we have reviewed your reservation.
On our system you cannot submit a request if the room is not available, and it is taken out of inventory when the request is made. The only possible double booking is if a phone call has come in and the availability has not been updated yet. So far, that's only happened once. We also have Webervations set to tell the guest to call for same-day reservations after 8 a.m. - they aren't allowed to make an online booking.
muirford said:
A room has been reserved for you online and cannot be reserved with any other online reservation. This is an automatic email to let you know that your reservation request has been successfully submitted. You will receive a confirmation email after we have reviewed your reservation.
My take...I bet a lot of guests read 'A room has been reserved for you...' and stop right there. They never get to the part that says it is only a request for a reservation. And many certainly never got the part that says the reservation is being reviewed, which implies it may be denied.
I don't think most of them read any of that stuff. They pick a room online, fill in their cc inf, & think that they're finished! End of story. Confirmation? Why would I need a confirmation? Or maybe they'll think to print out their confirmation before they leave if it has a map like Bree said.
All of my confirmations say to reply so that I know the confirmation has been received. I think I've gotten 3 replies so far.

this makes me think i should book a room online for myself and see what i get in the email ... so i can see if it is confusing to me.
note to self: do it!

this makes me think i should book a room online for myself and see what i get in the email ... so i can see if it is confusing to me.
note to self: do it!.
I don't have an automatic email reply. When I go in & accept the online reservation, I can modify the confirmation email for each guest. I always send a blind copy to myself. My reservation system keeps a history that the email has been sent but not a specific copy which is one of the reasons that I bcc myself.

For some reason, I think that there are guests out there that don't think that they need a confirmation. Your case was even worse, because he assumed that you had a room for them by filling out the request form.
We had some folks show up an hour before regular check-in. I had checked my reservation system after getting home from the store & they had booked the same day. Turns out that they booked from the C&VB. I've straightened that out with them that same day reservations need to CALL ME!! I've had a couple of other same day rezs since that happened. Saved my skin by adding a note on the rez system too that reservations within 24 hrs of stay need to CALL. You know that when you're a small operation & you have other jobs, it is really hard to take the drop ins.
Maybe we all need to put something on our sites that says "Your stay is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation from the innkeeper.".
On our system you cannot submit a request if the room is not available, and it is taken out of inventory when the request is made. The only possible double booking is if a phone call has come in and the availability has not been updated yet. So far, that's only happened once. We also have Webervations set to tell the guest to call for same-day reservations after 8 a.m. - they aren't allowed to make an online booking.
muirford said:
My take...I bet a lot of guests read 'A room has been reserved for you...' and stop right there. They never get to the part that says it is only a request for a reservation. And many certainly never got the part that says the reservation is being reviewed, which implies it may be denied.
I don't think most of them read any of that stuff. They pick a room online, fill in their cc inf, & think that they're finished! End of story. Confirmation? Why would I need a confirmation? Or maybe they'll think to print out their confirmation before they leave if it has a map like Bree said.
All of my confirmations say to reply so that I know the confirmation has been received. I think I've gotten 3 replies so far.
I agree people see the word 'confirmation' and stop reading because they figure it means they're good to go. The reply rate to my confirmation emails increased once I took the word 'confirmation' out of my subject line.
Subject line now reads: "Reservation Details - Please Reply"
In the body of the email (after greeting the guest), I spell it out for them: "This email contains information about your stay. As the last step in the reservation process, please reply to confirm receipt and understanding of our policies." and then continue on with the booking confirmation.
If a guest doesn't reply, I email or call and remind them. I need their reply as the CYA in case they cancel.

muirford said:
I agree people see the word 'confirmation' and stop reading because they figure it means they're good to go. The reply rate to my confirmation emails increased once I took the word 'confirmation' out of my subject line.
Subject line now reads: "Reservation Details - Please Reply"
In the body of the email (after greeting the guest), I spell it out for them: "This email contains information about your stay. As the last step in the reservation process, please reply to confirm receipt and understanding of our policies." and then continue on with the booking confirmation.
If a guest doesn't reply, I email or call and remind them. I need their reply as the CYA in case they cancel.
Good idea about the subject line! My rez system automatically generates that but it can be modified so I think I'll change it.

note to self: do it!.
I don't have an automatic email reply. When I go in & accept the online reservation, I can modify the confirmation email for each guest. I always send a blind copy to myself. My reservation system keeps a history that the email has been sent but not a specific copy which is one of the reasons that I bcc myself.
Samster, that is exactly what I do as well. That's why I could see what happened. I had a copy of the email saying we were unable to take his reservation with advice on where else to look. I sent it right after receiving his reservation request. But he left to drive to New York to pick up his girlfriend and never checked his email.
I don't want to set up for automatic reservation acceptance because I want to check every request prior to accepting it. LIke the 5 middle aged women who were going to stay in the suite. It can sleep 5, but is designed to do so for parents bringing a kid to check out the university. I don't want 5 suitcases and all the hand luggage banging around.
Riki

muirford said:
I also ask them to reply to the confirmation and have been very lucky in my one year. They almost all send a reply email. Could be because when this town gets busy, there are NO ROOMS ANYWHERE as backup.
Riki

Thanks to you guys I am rethinking how I have my Webervations request set up. I currently have the CC as an option since this is for a request not a firm reservation. I may change my toon on this one - as it is most people that do not want to put their CC online will call to reserve anyway, this just completes a step. - Thanks!
I will however not change from using Webervations as a request rather than a firm reservation as I still get a good many bookings by phone while away from the B&B..
Copperhead said:
I will however not change from using Webervations as a request rather than a firm reservation as I still get a good many bookings by phone while away from the B&B.
That is true. If you get a lot of call in bookings, then a request is better.
But since i did the book online and save $10 I rarely EVER GET THE CALLS NOW! Some, of course, will call with a question, then say "Okay I will go and book online now."
Really the ONLY on the phone bookings I get are BOGO - I had one last night from iloveinns.
My phone message says the same thing, you can check availability and save $10 by booking online. They hang up and book online.
I LOVE IT! It has freed up hours a day. No more midnight phone calls. 80% of my phone calls are marketers and townsfolk begging for donations. I am not kidding. I can have 8 a day for this. So I am to the point unless I am at a phone, I don't answer it now. If they want to leave a mssg they do!

muirford said:
I totally agree - in fact the entire first sentence really doesn't make total sense to me. But, the fact that it says "A room has been reserved" is all anyone would need to read to think they were done. Yes, it is stupid that someone would think a room would be secured without a credit card and/or a phone call, but there are some people out there...
I highly suggest you change that automated response to read, "Your reservation request has been submitted and is not confirmed until you have received notification from the innkeeper directly. Please await confirmation or call xxx-xxx-xxxx to confirm this reservation."
MissInnkeeping said:
I totally agree - in fact the entire first sentence really doesn't make total sense to me. But, the fact that it says "A room has been reserved" is all anyone would need to read to think they were done. Yes, it is stupid that someone would think a room would be secured without a credit card and/or a phone call, but there are some people out there...
I highly suggest you change that automated response to read, "Your reservation request has been submitted and is not confirmed until you have received notification from the innkeeper directly. Please await confirmation or call xxx-xxx-xxxx to confirm this reservation."
I don't think any of the online booking engines accept a reservation request without a credit card. So the guest WOULD have entered all the pertinent info. I've used Webervations from the guest side and the cc space has to be filled in. It also reminds you this is not a confirmed reservation until you receive the confirmation, but no one understands that part.
Bree said:
MissInnkeeping said:
I don't think any of the online booking engines accept a reservation request without a credit card. So the guest WOULD have entered all the pertinent info. I've used Webervations from the guest side and the cc space has to be filled in. It also reminds you this is not a confirmed reservation until you receive the confirmation, but no one understands that part.
Yes they do. You depict whether the cc is required, whether the v-code is required or whether they can give you the cc # later. This is in the set up area. Hopefully all inns have it set to require the cc details.
Also our reservation is LIVE so it is what it appears, you book it, then it is yours. I will not take a phone rez without simultaneously blocking out the room in weberv.
My problem, which most of you don't have, is that I still am on dialup. I cannot simultaneously block out the calendar when taking a phone reservation. It takes time to get the online up and running to block the calendar. Thus, there are occasions when I have to send the "sorry we're full - our calendar is not "real time" message like this one. We have all over that our calendar is not REAL TIME, but like you all say, nobody reads.
Riki

muirford said:
That is what I was going to suggest. You can go into webervations and customize the responses to suit your needs.
"Your request for a room has been recieved, we will contact you personally to secure a room with us." or something like that. I hesitate to use confirmed in the reply as someone reading it quickly will think it is confirmed..:-(
That's a good idea, El. I'm going to go back in and check my messages. I still am small enough that I customize each one. But still, my problem here was he left and never checked his email after filling out the request form.
Riki

Back