Flash issue

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Flash just a flash in the pan?
What is next? Wait for what is next, 86 the flash in the pan... Just my 2 cents..
Flash is too deeply embedded in the web, it has been and still is the leading platform for interactivity within a site. Consider that all youtube videos play within Flash... it is too deeply embedded to dry up and disappear on its own and there is no-one trying to rival it, so there are no better alternatives.
yes I agree. I don't see anything else out there that would replace Flash. I am sure one Day Apple will come around:)

Android is the number one selling smart phone platform. Free from google so it has some clout. Their apps are cheaper and are catching up. I used one a few months ago and it is just like an iphone imo but maybe even a bit better as they handle text a little different. Then add in that they do flash, and well I can see why they are getting more people..
I was really surprised to learn that iphone and ipad don't support flash. Evidently Steve Jobs does not like the technology so won't support using it. I don't understand how they can get away with that, it seems like every website has some kind of flash in it (ours does!).
BUT, my father in law and sister both have Android phones and they are horrible. All the typical Windows type problems (needing constant rebooting, updates, etc.) and they are terrible as phones too (dropped calls, problems with ringers, problems with blue tooth). I have a second generation BlackBerry Curve and I want to drive my car over it, it is horrible. My niece and my other sister have iphones and they love them and I love them from what little I've seen, but again I'd need to see how much the lack of flash would impact me. I wonder too as Joey did if Flash will go by the wayside when the next "big thing" comes along.
Don Draper said:
I was really surprised to learn that iphone and ipad don't support flash. Evidently Steve Jobs does not like the technology so won't support using it. I don't understand how they can get away with that, it seems like every website has some kind of flash in it (ours does!).
The reason Apple doesn't support Flash is because it's a proprietary technology. Quoting from Apple:
Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary. They are only available from Adobe, and Adobe has sole authority as to their future enhancement, pricing, etc. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system.
Apple has many proprietary products too. Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards.
We had a Flash slideshow on our main page that obviously wouldn't work on iPhones or iPads. I just changed it to a Javascript slide show and you can't really tell the difference.

What is next? Wait for what is next, 86 the flash in the pan... Just my 2 cents..
Flash is too deeply embedded in the web, it has been and still is the leading platform for interactivity within a site. Consider that all youtube videos play within Flash... it is too deeply embedded to dry up and disappear on its own and there is no-one trying to rival it, so there are no better alternatives.
yes I agree. I don't see anything else out there that would replace Flash. I am sure one Day Apple will come around:)
catlady said:
I hear that there is a third-party workaround to run Flash on Apple hardware. I'll be interested to see how that progresses.

Android is the number one selling smart phone platform. Free from google so it has some clout. Their apps are cheaper and are catching up. I used one a few months ago and it is just like an iphone imo but maybe even a bit better as they handle text a little different. Then add in that they do flash, and well I can see why they are getting more people..
BUT, my father in law and sister both have Android phones and they are horrible. All the typical Windows type problems (needing constant rebooting, updates, etc.) and they are terrible as phones too (dropped calls, problems with ringers, problems with blue tooth). I have a second generation BlackBerry Curve and I want to drive my car over it, it is horrible. My niece and my other sister have iphones and they love them and I love them from what little I've seen, but again I'd need to see how much the lack of flash would impact me. I wonder too as Joey did if Flash will go by the wayside when the next "big thing" comes along.
There are a number of reasons that Apple doesn't support Flash and frankly I understand some of them (I don't agree, but I do understand them). For the longest time, Google actually skipped indexing your website if you were in Flash.
See http://goo.gl/3gjbd for some commentary on how some perceive Apple.

catlady said:
I hear that there is a third-party workaround to run Flash on Apple hardware. I'll be interested to see how that progresses.
There is an app on the iphone that runs flash. I have not tried it but I hear it works.

Don Draper said:
BUT, my father in law and sister both have Android phones and they are horrible.
I have an HTC Inspire (Android 2.2) that I have had for a week and it is fantastic. Stable, speedy and the browser runs flash no problem. Much better browsing experience than the iphone. The one thing it does have issue with right now is the wysiwyg editor in this forum. It is a pretty heavy javascript and appears to be too BIG for the phone to deal with. I'll have to program a lighter alternative.

Don Draper said:
BUT, my father in law and sister both have Android phones and they are horrible.
I have an HTC Inspire (Android 2.2) that I have had for a week and it is fantastic. Stable, speedy and the browser runs flash no problem. Much better browsing experience than the iphone. The one thing it does have issue with right now is the wysiwyg editor in this forum. It is a pretty heavy javascript and appears to be too BIG for the phone to deal with. I'll have to program a lighter alternative.
I just got the Droid too and it's workig fine for what I need - phone, checking email, easy to type keyboard..but I'm not using it for much more since I don't know how to use it all.
I have to say for a first time user it is easy to learn
RIki

Kept the flash. Or least for now. I am not a person who likes to change everything all at once. We did new photos. More champaigne and full tubs etc. We were booking pretty steady up until Easter and seems like we are back on track so lets see if this helps.
Next is to get more photos of the common rooms up.

Kept the flash. Or least for now. I am not a person who likes to change everything all at once. We did new photos. More champaigne and full tubs etc. We were booking pretty steady up until Easter and seems like we are back on track so lets see if this helps.
Next is to get more photos of the common rooms up..
toddburme said:
Next is to get more photos of the common rooms up.
Nice staging! Very inviting. Nice work.
cheers.gif

(Man I am lacking adjectives tonight, sorry, I was just holding a salamander, skink, toad, newt and running from a snake at a class I am taking, my heart rate is still up - corn snakes look too much like copperheads...to the untrained eye and the frightened student)

Sounds like an interesting class. hahahaha.
toddburme said:
Sounds like an interesting class. hahahaha
Kayaking down our rivers there has been a snake or two that falls from the overhead canopy into a canoe or kayak. I learned affirmatively last night after asking that copperheads cannot climb trees, ever. HURRAY! I was getting a bit paranoid on that one. So yes, interesting class indeed!

Latest posts

Back