Food preparation regulations Ontario Canada

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have just opened a B&B in Ottawa, Ontario. One of the issues we have is whether we need a permit or some other form of license to prepare/cook food for our guests. I have looked at the relevant online government and city websites and the general feeling is I need legally to do nothing, so now supplying food to our guests. I feel uneasy about doing this as it may come back and bite me in the bum, as it were. I have phoned the city government section which deals with these things and she said "I'm sorry I have no idea, I will pass this to someone and they will get back to you"... While this is happening, or not happening, I thought I would put it here and see if I get any results... :)

In Quebec, we have to take a 1 day class on food safety. It is mandatory from the MAPAQ (ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation), so maybe you could find the equivalent Ontario ministry and ask them (agriculture, fisheries and food)
See with: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/foodsaf-env-div.html

Ask your insurer..
Listen to Generic. You could also ask a friendly B&B near by. I've been to your beautiful town! Always wanted to go ice skating there but it didn't happen.
It's the warmest city in Canada. It's where we manufacture hot air. Just like in Washington, DC.
But the canal still freezes over?!? One of these years I will be up to do it…. I got a cedar box with a picture of people skating on it back at my parents' place.

In Quebec, we have to take a 1 day class on food safety. It is mandatory from the MAPAQ (ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation), so maybe you could find the equivalent Ontario ministry and ask them (agriculture, fisheries and food)
See with: http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/foodsaf-env-div.html.
Yes it's them I've phoned them, still waiting an answer... Thought maybe someone here may had gone through the same loops... :)

Ask your insurer..
Listen to Generic. You could also ask a friendly B&B near by. I've been to your beautiful town! Always wanted to go ice skating there but it didn't happen.
It's the warmest city in Canada. It's where we manufacture hot air. Just like in Washington, DC.
But the canal still freezes over?!? One of these years I will be up to do it…. I got a cedar box with a picture of people skating on it back at my parents' place.
Stay here...:)

You opened a B&B without getting permits in place? You are looking for a fine, you will want to sort this out asap. You can't just open to the public without liability. Be careful.

OK I phoned the same Ottawa number I was waiting on, and got an answer straight away!
Apparently "For guest house/bed & breakfast operations in Ontario, preparation and serving of food does NOT need any type of license or permits, provided the food or drink (non alcoholic) is NOT given or sold to individuals who are not staying at the property". And this applies to B&B's having less than 16 guests (I think she said, may be 14, anyway, we only would only have 6, tops). More guests than that other rules apply.
However, she did advise a food handling certificate, mainly for the guests peace of mind. :) So I'll do that, for my peace of mind. Now for the recipe section on this forum....

You opened a B&B without getting permits in place? You are looking for a fine, you will want to sort this out asap. You can't just open to the public without liability. Be careful..
It's ok J:) Yes we've done all the necessary stuff for permits but I wasn't sure that I got it right with the food part... even though all the information I had we need no permits at all. I just didn't believe it. Nothing is THAT easy surely. But it's true, no permits needed.

in the UK its a 20 min online certificate which is basically keep stuff in the fridge, don't reheat stuff and don't rub raw meat on stuff - if you can't pass you should Not be serving food to anyone even yourself! You also have to be inspected by the local council but that's basically a friendly chat - ours are super nice and helpfull best department in the council!

in the UK its a 20 min online certificate which is basically keep stuff in the fridge, don't reheat stuff and don't rub raw meat on stuff - if you can't pass you should Not be serving food to anyone even yourself! You also have to be inspected by the local council but that's basically a friendly chat - ours are super nice and helpfull best department in the council!.
Isn't it weird that food is food and people is people, yet the rules for when, how, and where food should be consumed is down more to opinion and the latest trends in the places you reside than human common sense and prudency.

in the UK its a 20 min online certificate which is basically keep stuff in the fridge, don't reheat stuff and don't rub raw meat on stuff - if you can't pass you should Not be serving food to anyone even yourself! You also have to be inspected by the local council but that's basically a friendly chat - ours are super nice and helpfull best department in the council!.
Aaah, UK B&B's. What council do you come under Jcam? Is it a London one?

Ask your insurer..
haha
That wouldn't have been my pick for warmest city.......until you added the corollary.
wink_smile.gif

Aaah, UK B&B's. What council do you come under Jcam? Is it a London one?
Nope Harrogate in North Yorkshire (near Scotland) rather than Harrow in London - Mind you int the Uk if you serve food irregularly (ie now and again) you don't have to be inspected at all - this to me is the wrong way around as if you do it full time you should be practiced and competent - irregularly you forget in between.

Now when I lived in Ontario, any place that served prepared food had to display an inspection permit in plain view. Here in Newfoundland, I also have to display my permit in my dining room plus go through a yearly inspection. ??????????? Nothing like that for you stevewitharoom? Doesn't sound right.

Ask your insurer..
Stay here...:)
Wow! I'm a step closer with a place to stay. I just need time off, more money, and renew my passport! (I let it expire, shame on me!)

Back