Food Trail

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I have to ask, are pistachios grown in NM? Why are you getting them from there (other than the specialty seasonings)? This is a need to know question, as I love them.
Remember buying them from little vending machines, like the gumball machines? We used to eat them on the beach in SD. The red food dye all over your hands, they were always the imported pistachios that were red..
Yes, grown there. We had them when we were out there and I have to keep ordering them.
I do remember getting them out of the machines! You got a lot fewer nuts than you ever got any kind of candy and they always cost more.
Morticia said:
Yes, grown there. We had them when we were out there and I have to keep ordering them.
I do remember getting them out of the machines! You got a lot fewer nuts than you ever got any kind of candy and they always cost more.
Some of the little machines had them split into two sections, the imported from Turkry red dye or the white ones - the red ones were sometimes stale.
My parents drive through there twice a year, so now they know. Mom is just overwhelmed by the green chilies and jewelry and artsy stuff, now she knows what to get me for my bday!
chef.gif

OK, am I the only one or did you feel like it was really exotic to eat pistachios from Turkey or Iran? And pomegranates? It was like a great adventure to eat these things!
I always got the Zenobia pistachios. Even the name was exotic!
Oh, had a laugh about this:
For over 80 Years, Nu ts on the N et has provided gourmet, quality nuts to our customers.
Really? 80 years on the net?
OK, am I the only one or did you feel like it was really exotic to eat pistachios from Turkey or Iran? And pomegranates? It was like a great adventure to eat these things!
No, you are not! We moved to WV 15 years ago and it was here - in WV - that I had my first pomegranate. I bought the first one because is was cheap and I was looking for something different for DH. I peel it and was throwing the seeds away looking for the fruit. Next time I went to the produce store I asked about how to eat them and that was when I discovered it is the seeds you eat! I did not care for them but DH likes them and guests sometimes do too. I sprinkle them in the fruit compote.
there were a lot of vegetables my Mom never cooked (either she did not like them, did not know how to fix them, or they just were an extra drain on the budget - I opt for # 1 & 2). I was an adult before I tasted broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, zuccini, acorn, butternut, or any of the squash. We could have grown most of these - we had a HUGE garden (kids picked potato bugs a penny a hundred) and canned or froze most of it!

Okay I have to ask, are pistachios grown in NM? Why are you getting them from there (other than the specialty seasonings)? This is a need to know question, as I love them.
Remember buying them from little vending machines, like the gumball machines? We used to eat them on the beach in SD. The red food dye all over your hands, they were always the imported pistachios that were red..
Morticia said:
Some of the little machines had them split into two sections, the imported from Turkry red dye or the white ones - the red ones were sometimes stale.
My parents drive through there twice a year, so now they know. Mom is just overwhelmed by the green chilies and jewelry and artsy stuff, now she knows what to get me for my bday!
chef.gif

For over 80 Years, Nu ts on the N et has provided gourmet, quality nuts to our customers.
Oh my god, when I was a kid I thought it was exotic to eat french toast. Don't get me started on pomegranates.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Oh my god, when I was a kid I thought it was exotic to eat french toast. Don't get me started on pomegranates.
I grew up smashing pomegranites on the side walk to crack them open on the way to school, plenty of them in SD. Actually there was tons of fruit in SD, remember when people actually had fruit trees in their yards? As a kid you knew were all the good stuff was.
I bought apricots at the store this week, the clerk didn't know what they were. Admittedly they are a thing of the past (again loved those dried turkish apricots when we were kids full of sulfites?) One daughter brought a few apricots to school in her lunch and another kid said <insert heavy heavy accent> "My oh my look at them iddy bitty bitty peaches!"

Morticia said:
chef.gif

Nope. French toast was pretty standard fare at my house. I had to buy my own pistachios and pomegranates (Chinese apples when I was a kid). And you have to figure I grew up in a pretty major city where it was nothing to walk by stores where nothing was in English and meats were hanging up outside. And I still thought these were exotic. But I was fairly old before I ate anything outside of the usual 'meat and potatoes' or 'spaghetti' kinds of dinners. My SON introduced me to kiwis when he was in college! Mine was not an adventurous food family.
When I first saw un-dyed pistachios I thought they were fake! They were, unfortunately, stale so I didn't like them anyway. And now I haven't seen a red pistachio in I don't know how long.
Morticia said:
My SON introduced me to kiwis when he was in college! Mine was not an adventurous food family.
Kiwis were only in the USA about the time you mentioned. Clue - if you have issues with the acid in a kiwi (which is mostly near the skin) then they are CA kiwis, not NZ kiwis. That is when we first had them in the USA when they grew in CA. Of course now they are grown in South America as well. I just bought some golden kiwis (furless) and I usually serve the regular and golden together or people just think they are not ripe. I serve kiwi almost as often as I serve strawberries here, nearly every breakfast.
They banned that red food dye which is why we don't see those red pistachios now.
golden vs green info here

Morticia said:
chef.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
I grew up smashing pomegranites on the side walk to crack them open on the way to school, plenty of them in SD. Actually there was tons of fruit in SD, remember when people actually had fruit trees in their yards? As a kid you knew were all the good stuff was.
I bought apricots at the store this week, the clerk didn't know what they were. Admittedly they are a thing of the past (again loved those dried turkish apricots when we were kids full of sulfites?) One daughter brought a few apricots to school in her lunch and another kid said <insert heavy heavy accent> "My oh my look at them iddy bitty bitty peaches!"
Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Up here in Northern California, everyone I know (including me) has at least one fruit tree in their backyard. Lemon, orange, apple, fig, whatever. I love that whenever I bring a gift of food to a neighbor, they'll immediately grab some of their best fruit for me before I leave. All the kids gather up whatever they want from everyone's yards, just like when we were kids.
I grew up in the South, though, and we had no apricots. Lots of peaches. So I could have very well been one of those kids who would have thought they were some sort of exotic tiny peach. I do miss bushels of fresh peaches in the summertime. Peach cobbler...yummmmm.

Morticia said:
chef.gif

Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Up here in Northern California, everyone I know (including me) has at least one fruit tree in their backyard. Lemon, orange, apple, fig, whatever. I love that whenever I bring a gift of food to a neighbor, they'll immediately grab some of their best fruit for me before I leave. All the kids gather up whatever they want from everyone's yards, just like when we were kids.
I grew up in the South, though, and we had no apricots. Lots of peaches. So I could have very well been one of those kids who would have thought they were some sort of exotic tiny peach. I do miss bushels of fresh peaches in the summertime. Peach cobbler...yummmmm.
When I was a kid, I waited for the school bus t the top of my Granny's lane. Across the road was an orchard of yellow cherries. We kids used to go stuff ourselves with those cherries while we waited for the bus. I wonder if Dan & Dorothy got any fruit from those trees!

Back