Found a possible home for a b&b ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you done any research yet with the county/city to see what their regulations are for a b&b? Is it even possible in that location? Hopefully you have already researched this before you make that long trip.
How close are other houses? Many times neighbors fight having a b&b next door or in their neighborhood because they have a lot of misconceptions of what it will do to their neighborhood and property values.
Egress and fire codes are a big deal on upper floors. Regulations can be very strick and expensive to fix. Like the others said, get someone to inspect it before you put an offer in.
Private baths are a MUST. This house would have to be very cheap for it to make financial sense to build so many bathrooms. If it's on septic, you may not be able to.

Just like many folks who have trouble with guest complaints about climbing stairs with luggage to the second floor, you might get them in droves if they have to schlep stuff up another flight of stairs.
sad_smile.gif
Might be better if that's where the owners' quarters would be (even if your own knees might not like it).
Check the local building/business codes carefully about attic rooms as advised - many locations do require an outside stairway egress, and when you get to attic rooms it may bump you into having to put in sprinkler systems for the entire building. And, here a buyer of an existing B&B discovered that they had to put in sprinklers when the ownership changed, where they had not been required before.
Get everything in writing about local building codes and licensing costs for B&Bs!
Good luck!

It is exciting at this stage, lots of dreams etc. But as others have said you need to be very knowlegable about what the fire codes will/won't allow. Once you have toured the place in detail, if you are still interested take a visit to the fire marshal's office get the codes in writing and also discuss a possible walk through with one (now) to have them point out details that they would require.
Here, they required a 2nd regress if we rented the 3rd floor space. For us (we are on the 3rd floor), all we needed were drop stairs, one for each side of the house. We set one up and looked at each other - the house WOULD need to be on fire before I would attempt that.... scary!!!
Also agree with others, individual private baths are a must if you really want to rent your rooms..
copperhead said:
It is exciting at this stage, lots of dreams etc. But as others have said you need to be very knowlegable about what the fire codes will/won't allow. Once you have toured the place in detail, if you are still interested take a visit to the fire marshal's office get the codes in writing and also discuss a possible walk through with one (now) to have them point out details that they would require.
Here, they required a 2nd regress if we rented the 3rd floor space. For us (we are on the 3rd floor), all we needed were drop stairs, one for each side of the house. We set one up and looked at each other - the house WOULD need to be on fire before I would attempt that.... scary!!!
Also agree with others, individual private baths are a must if you really want to rent your rooms.
I just spoke to someone about the fire codes for the area I was interested in. He told me that for the 3rd floor I could have no more than 3 rooms, and either a sprinkler system, or stairs that go down to the ground. I was thinking from the start a small balcony with stairs going down to the ground. I would feel much safer knowing that nobody would be stuck up there in case of an emergency.

Also agree with others, individual private baths are a must if you really want to rent your rooms..
copperhead said:
Also agree with others, individual private baths are a must if you really want to rent your rooms.
I just spoke to someone about the fire codes for the area I was interested in. He told me that for the 3rd floor I could have no more than 3 rooms, and either a sprinkler system, or stairs that go down to the ground. I was thinking from the start a small balcony with stairs going down to the ground. I would feel much safer knowing that nobody would be stuck up there in case of an emergency.
Get it in writing. Get everything in writing. That person leaves and the next one has an entirely different interpretation of the regs.

copperhead said:
Get it in writing. Get everything in writing. That person leaves and the next one has an entirely different interpretation of the regs.
Madeleine said:
Good idea. All these rules and regulations, can and can nots, and where the info came from ... I should have in a separate binder for quick reference.

Back