Fresh Ideas Wanted

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"honeymoon ...gourmet breakfast in the dining room in our main lodge. ... a private entrance, covered porch, and comfortable chairs for you relax in as you enjoy your romantic vacation. The Honeymoon ...is a perfect choice for couples who want an intimate setting to enjoy each other."
Here is my recommendation. I didn't see layout of your rooms/property online, so my comment is related to the pricing and privacy only.
I would offer breakfast delivery to the "honeymoon room" or whatever rooms you deem most expensive, or closet to your kitchen for deliveries. Limit it to those rooms so they will book them (and pay more) to have that added amenity.
Either up the price on them or charge a surcharge of $10-15 per morning.
Have a set time only, 9:15am to deliver after the main house is served, or before.
This is what people want. AND in doing so the tips may increase as well. Ask them to set the tray outside their door when done so you won't have to disturb them. It is a win win. Not easy to deliver in seasons, but it is not that bad and if it is raining or cold they will tip more. Our $10 fee to deliver made another $5 to $10 for the delivery much of the time, MAKE it tip worthy - toss a little posie in a vase or something clever like "For the lovebirds" on a folded card on top of the food cover like I did. They always took that, and tipped..
You know you are correct. We only have enough seating in the dining room for 12 and we have 14. So one room gets breakfast delivered each morning and its our most popular room. I never really thought much about why until your post. Might be something to look at for other options for breakfast income. The trouble I see is delivery time for everyone. Might be a bottle neck of issues with timing. But maybe not.
Make it expensive enough to be a special treat instead of the norm.
gillumhouse said:
Thats a good point. How much do you think? I know there is a fine line between a service and having people think we are crazy.
GH do you still offer all the teas? If so, where do you get them from and is it worth it?

A few years ago we added a gazebo. We put it in the front yard to add some 'charm factor'. We then had a carpenter build benches in it. Since it sits near the main road I didn't think people would sit in it, but I was wrong. People like to go out there and sit and when we have groups, it's a great place for them to congregate outdoors..
Breakfast Diva said:
A few years ago we added a gazebo. We put it in the front yard to add some 'charm factor'. We then had a carpenter build benches in it. Since it sits near the main road I didn't think people would sit in it, but I was wrong. People like to go out there and sit and when we have groups, it's a great place for them to congregate outdoors.
We talked about building a covered outdoor living room with a fireplace. Have some nice seating around. We have several decks now but they cant really be used much when its raining. I'm not sure if the cost would be worth it. Does anyone have a nice covered outdoor living room?
Our poolside deck overlooks the pool area with an awning overhead and its a guests favorite gathering spot. Many memories have been made on that deck! Even when the awning comes down in late fall it is still used. There has been talk about adding a roof and pillars instead of the awning. Last spring we ended up having the awning repaired instead but one day it will come down to, do we buy another awning or put up a roof?
See photos on our website. No fireplace though. Just tables, chairs, plants, etc.

"honeymoon ...gourmet breakfast in the dining room in our main lodge. ... a private entrance, covered porch, and comfortable chairs for you relax in as you enjoy your romantic vacation. The Honeymoon ...is a perfect choice for couples who want an intimate setting to enjoy each other."
Here is my recommendation. I didn't see layout of your rooms/property online, so my comment is related to the pricing and privacy only.
I would offer breakfast delivery to the "honeymoon room" or whatever rooms you deem most expensive, or closet to your kitchen for deliveries. Limit it to those rooms so they will book them (and pay more) to have that added amenity.
Either up the price on them or charge a surcharge of $10-15 per morning.
Have a set time only, 9:15am to deliver after the main house is served, or before.
This is what people want. AND in doing so the tips may increase as well. Ask them to set the tray outside their door when done so you won't have to disturb them. It is a win win. Not easy to deliver in seasons, but it is not that bad and if it is raining or cold they will tip more. Our $10 fee to deliver made another $5 to $10 for the delivery much of the time, MAKE it tip worthy - toss a little posie in a vase or something clever like "For the lovebirds" on a folded card on top of the food cover like I did. They always took that, and tipped..
You know you are correct. We only have enough seating in the dining room for 12 and we have 14. So one room gets breakfast delivered each morning and its our most popular room. I never really thought much about why until your post. Might be something to look at for other options for breakfast income. The trouble I see is delivery time for everyone. Might be a bottle neck of issues with timing. But maybe not.
gillumhouse said:
Thats a good point. How much do you think? I know there is a fine line between a service and having people think we are crazy.
GH do you still offer all the teas? If so, where do you get them from and is it worth it?
I am still offering teas from several years ago. They are in tins so are still OK. There are not that many who drink tea - some, but not enough to spend the extra - they stand in front of the tea cabinet saying OMG! and then choose English Breakfast or Earl Gray. Cambs sent me some Yorkshire tea and that is now gone.
Now the coffee IS a draw. The roasters are easy to use and people really do like to try different coffees. Some of them have gone up so much in price I not longer offer them - Kona Blend is a thing of the past and Kona is out of sight. I try to buy the green coffee beans when they are on sale (usually $1 less per pound). What it also does is provides a "donation" that is a lot less expensive and disruptive to the business when I get hit by the local "causes", silent auctions, etc. 4 roasts of coffee and a Gillum House mug is minimal cost for me and not a lot of effort. 1 roast fills a pint jar with roasted coffee beans. A couple years ago I bought some bean grinders to put into the basket. They cost me about $12 - $15 each, about the same as the mug.
I get pint canning jars and also have been washing empty jelly jars (the large pint-size) and Alfredo sauce jars.

Well, since you mentioned pool. I will comment on that. My grandma had an in ground pool put in during the late 1970s- early 1980s. (American Pool) It is still running fine and the company is still in business last I looked. It is a cement one with cement stairs going down into the pool which guests think is cool. Guests like to sit on the stairs and talk while the water surrounds them.
Pros for a pool: Guests love the idea of a pool and it can put you in "the 4 Star hotel" group since a pool is one of the amenities for that group. Guests will book because of a pool over no pool. (Only 10% ever use it.) Guests love to sit around the pool so make sure you have nice furniture for them to enjoy the water from. A good idea is to put an underwater light in the wall and it can be used after dark. (We let them used it after dark upon request. Besides that, the pool is open dawn to dusk.) It also lightens up the pool area when the family reunions are sitting on the patio enjoying the evening.
Cons for a pool: First the cost of putting it in. It has to be fenced in which catch leaves and blows them into the pool for someone to scoop out. It must be tested daily and adjusted. Leaves need to be scooped out. Bottom needs to be vacuumed. Sides need to be scrubbed down from time to time. Equipment bought and replaced from time to time. In the fall it must be drained about 1/4 of the water (then refilled in the spring), pipes pumped dry and antifreeze put in, capped off, and covered. (Custom pool cover are very expensive, so don't fall for those cute shape pools!) Then snow must be pushed/pulled off the cover. Pool water level checked after rain or melting snow and pumps dragged out and started, etc. Then there is the wonderful insurance issues. Signs posted. Depth levels painted on the sides each season. Pictures taken and sent in. No diving boards. In our area only Wolf's will cover us because of our pool.
Here our pool is opened Mid May-Sept. Is it worth it? Only you can decided it. Would Grandma do it again. Yes! She's as proud of the pool as the day it went in. Would I put in a pool? Hmm…interesting question. If you have the room and money, it is a very good amenity (but high responsibility) since its something not every place has or can have due to the cost, the work, and how much space it takes up. But I probably would buy an inn that has one over one that didn't. I wouldn't go for above ground pool since they have more maintenance problems and issues..
Duff2014 said:
Well, since you mentioned pool. I will comment on that. My grandma had an in ground pool put in during the late 1970s- early 1980s. (American Pool) It is still running fine and the company is still in business last I looked. It is a cement one with cement stairs going down into the pool which guests think is cool. Guests like to sit on the stairs and talk while the water surrounds them.
Pros for a pool: Guests love the idea of a pool and it can put you in "the 4 Star hotel" group since a pool is one of the amenities for that group. Guests will book because of a pool over no pool. (Only 10% ever use it.) Guests love to sit around the pool so make sure you have nice furniture for them to enjoy the water from. A good idea is to put an underwater light in the wall and it can be used after dark. (We let them used it after dark upon request. Besides that, the pool is open dawn to dusk.) It also lightens up the pool area when the family reunions are sitting on the patio enjoying the evening.
Cons for a pool: First the cost of putting it in. It has to be fenced in which catch leaves and blows them into the pool for someone to scoop out. It must be tested daily and adjusted. Leaves need to be scooped out. Bottom needs to be vacuumed. Sides need to be scrubbed down from time to time. Equipment bought and replaced from time to time. In the fall it must be drained about 1/4 of the water (then refilled in the spring), pipes pumped dry and antifreeze put in, capped off, and covered. (Custom pool cover are very expensive, so don't fall for those cute shape pools!) Then snow must be pushed/pulled off the cover. Pool water level checked after rain or melting snow and pumps dragged out and started, etc. Then there is the wonderful insurance issues. Signs posted. Depth levels painted on the sides each season. Pictures taken and sent in. No diving boards. In our area only Wolf's will cover us because of our pool.
Here our pool is opened Mid May-Sept. Is it worth it? Only you can decided it. Would Grandma do it again. Yes! She's as proud of the pool as the day it went in. Would I put in a pool? Hmm…interesting question. If you have the room and money, it is a very good amenity (but high responsibility) since its something not every place has or can have due to the cost, the work, and how much space it takes up. But I probably would buy an inn that has one over one that didn't. I wouldn't go for above ground pool since they have more maintenance problems and issues.
We talked about a pool a few years back and kinda talked each other out of it. We have a lot of trees and I feel I would be spending my whole summer cleaning it. I really didn't want to cut all the trees down around it because then we would lose the feel of being in the woods. We did talk about a hot tub area. We do get people asking about them. We just never thought public hot tubs were a very clean amenity. If you really think about what your trying to relax in it might make you throw up. I know I'm kinda strange that way. But a bubbly septic tank does not sound fun!
If you have a circulator to move the water around, it will move the leaves into the baskets and you just empty the baskets. We have it on a timer so that it runs during the day and quits at night. Every day before breakfast or after depending on how busy we are, one of us goes out and clean the baskets, scoop leaves, test the pool and wash down the furniture. (15 to 30 minutes) About every five days we scrub and vacuum the pool. That's the killer. Sometimes it needs it done more often. Its a lot of work but not daily and its work anyone trained can do even one of your older kids. Its an amenity that most places doesn't have so it sets you apart from your competition.

Here our pool is opened Mid May-Sept. Is it worth it? Only you can decided it. Would Grandma do it again. Yes! She's as proud of the pool as the day it went in. Would I put in a pool? Hmm…interesting question. If you have the room and money, it is a very good amenity (but high responsibility) since its something not every place has or can have due to the cost, the work, and how much space it takes up. But I probably would buy an inn that has one over one that didn't. I wouldn't go for above ground pool since they have more maintenance problems and issues..
Duff2014 said:
Here our pool is opened Mid May-Sept. Is it worth it? Only you can decided it. Would Grandma do it again. Yes! She's as proud of the pool as the day it went in. Would I put in a pool? Hmm…interesting question. If you have the room and money, it is a very good amenity (but high responsibility) since its something not every place has or can have due to the cost, the work, and how much space it takes up. But I probably would buy an inn that has one over one that didn't. I wouldn't go for above ground pool since they have more maintenance problems and issues.
We talked about a pool a few years back and kinda talked each other out of it. We have a lot of trees and I feel I would be spending my whole summer cleaning it. I really didn't want to cut all the trees down around it because then we would lose the feel of being in the woods. We did talk about a hot tub area. We do get people asking about them. We just never thought public hot tubs were a very clean amenity. If you really think about what your trying to relax in it might make you throw up. I know I'm kinda strange that way. But a bubbly septic tank does not sound fun!
I don't think the cost of installing and maintaining a pool is justified in your area. It will not give you a return on the investment. I would think some of the smaller things mentioned here like the breakfast delivery fee and some of the others would be the better way for you to go at this time.

We have also thought of maybe doing like a custom coffee area. Maybe get a professional espresso machine and make cappuccinos and specialty coffees. I know area wines are very popular around here. Not sure I want to go there. But if its a popular idea maybe..
Hillbilly said:
We have also thought of maybe doing like a custom coffee area. Maybe get a professional espresso machine and make cappuccinos and specialty coffees. I know area wines are very popular around here. Not sure I want to go there. But if its a popular idea maybe.
If it were me I would think about what I could add that would draw guests, vs what the guests who already booked will receive. In my years of innkeeping I kept adding wonderful amenities that were nice treats for those who booked a room. Nothing was an incentive to book. The "not wanting to eat with strangers", was a big success with the breakfast delivery. This is good for anyone non B&B experiences, and younger gen x and gen y and millennial who just don't like that.
I would focus on attracting that group. If I had to do it over again. And since you have a non traditional B&B, it is a plus.
Dog friendly would be my second choice. Hikers and couples with dogs. Not all rooms (I am not giving away your place by changing certain terms) maybe just one "set"

We have also thought of maybe doing like a custom coffee area. Maybe get a professional espresso machine and make cappuccinos and specialty coffees. I know area wines are very popular around here. Not sure I want to go there. But if its a popular idea maybe..
Hillbilly said:
We have also thought of maybe doing like a custom coffee area. Maybe get a professional espresso machine and make cappuccinos and specialty coffees. I know area wines are very popular around here. Not sure I want to go there. But if its a popular idea maybe.
I have a Jura coffeemaker that can make expresso drinks that are somewhat self-serve. It's not cheap, and I keep in the kitchen for myself, and old offer them to guests who ask if we can do such drinks (and if I like them). You could set one up in a coffee station. Given the cost of coffee, it's not cheap so make sure you're adding the cost into your room rates.

Hillbilly said:
If it were me I would think about what I could add that would draw guests, vs what the guests who already booked will receive. In my years of innkeeping I kept adding wonderful amenities that were nice treats for those who booked a room. Nothing was an incentive to book. The "not wanting to eat with strangers", was a big success with the breakfast delivery. This is good for anyone non B&B experiences, and younger gen x and gen y and millennial who just don't like that.
I would focus on attracting that group. If I had to do it over again. And since you have a non traditional B&B, it is a plus.
Dog friendly would be my second choice. Hikers and couples with dogs. Not all rooms (I am not giving away your place by changing certain terms) maybe just one "set"
We had one dog room; it was very popular. Once we stopped, we sent all the biz to another inn. She now has a niche market for dogs and families.
The added bonus is there are a lot of websites devoted to travel with dogs and you can get a lot of traffic from them.
Having one dedicated room makes cleaning easier and still allows for allergic guests. Have all cotton bedding and throw rugs, with backup for everything, and you can turn the room super fast by stripping it completely.

Hillbilly said:
NoHoBar said:
Hillbilly said:
good point! I might try the breakfast delivery by word of mouth after guests check in before advertising it. Just to see how it goes. What price would you think I could get away with?
i really don't want to have animals coming. Gets into a mess. People are already learning they can just call them a service dog and bring them anyway. Kinda makes me upset at that. Takes away from people who really do need them.

Duff2014 said:
I don't think the cost of installing and maintaining a pool is justified in your area. It will not give you a return on the investment. I would think some of the smaller things mentioned here like the breakfast delivery fee and some of the others would be the better way for you to go at this time.
EmptyNest said:
i completely agree with you!

Duff2014 said:
If you have a circulator to move the water around, it will move the leaves into the baskets and you just empty the baskets. We have it on a timer so that it runs during the day and quits at night. Every day before breakfast or after depending on how busy we are, one of us goes out and clean the baskets, scoop leaves, test the pool and wash down the furniture. (15 to 30 minutes) About every five days we scrub and vacuum the pool. That's the killer. Sometimes it needs it done more often. Its a lot of work but not daily and its work anyone trained can do even one of your older kids. Its an amenity that most places doesn't have so it sets you apart from your competition.
It also depends on the terrain of your property and for Hillbilly it would be interesting as well as the length of season is not there. He is not in the desert where one can swim 6 months or more of the year.

We went out to brunch one day, since it's low season and ever since I have been contemplating offering Sunday brunch as an option instead of breakfast. And extra $10 to $20 per person and it's served at 10A. A small menu to preorder from and more elaborate than our normal breakfast. A fruit skewer, two meats, potatoes, pancakes or French toast, fancy coffee, etc. Don't know if it would do well, though, we haven't tried doing it, yet. With a late-checkout of noon instead of 11A.
Anyone tried this? Only on Sundays, though.

We went out to brunch one day, since it's low season and ever since I have been contemplating offering Sunday brunch as an option instead of breakfast. And extra $10 to $20 per person and it's served at 10A. A small menu to preorder from and more elaborate than our normal breakfast. A fruit skewer, two meats, potatoes, pancakes or French toast, fancy coffee, etc. Don't know if it would do well, though, we haven't tried doing it, yet. With a late-checkout of noon instead of 11A.
Anyone tried this? Only on Sundays, though..
But Zorba said NEVER on Sunday

Anyone tried this? Only on Sundays, though..
A lot of it depends on your market. Around here guests are either lined up at 7:30 because they have a long drive ahead or, they sleep in and dash out the door at 10:59.
I suppose if they paid extra ahead of time they'd show up on time.

Hillbilly said:
We had one dog room; it was very popular. Once we stopped, we sent all the biz to another inn. She now has a niche market for dogs and families.
The added bonus is there are a lot of websites devoted to travel with dogs and you can get a lot of traffic from them.
Having one dedicated room makes cleaning easier and still allows for allergic guests. Have all cotton bedding and throw rugs, with backup for everything, and you can turn the room super fast by stripping it completely.
Morticia said:
And there are also travel bloggers who love to cover it. It is the new black, traveling with your dog. If I had outside entrances or cabins I would go for it. I would set up one or two rooms as a trial and if they filled up that would be my clue. I think a person would come to the area and spend more time and money if they could bring a small dog (under 55 lbs is what many places say).

Hillbilly said:
Morticia said:
And there are also travel bloggers who love to cover it. It is the new black, traveling with your dog. If I had outside entrances or cabins I would go for it. I would set up one or two rooms as a trial and if they filled up that would be my clue. I think a person would come to the area and spend more time and money if they could bring a small dog (under 55 lbs is what many places say).
NoHoBar said:
Morticia said:
We accepted any size dog. Remember the time I went to make the bed and the sheets were covered in dog hair? Great Dane. Guests tucked him up in bed like a kid. Sigh.
Most guests with dogs were very good caretakers. But, it was the last two that changed our minds.
The place we send the dog guests now also takes any size and multiples in every room. That's gotta be crazy some days!
I think about it again. Then we have one of our legacy dogs stay and I get over it.

Latest posts

Back