fruit - no fruit! - where's my fruit?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so i had guests who complained loudly of another place that served no fruit. they were totally miffed. and i told her, that some times i have lovely fruit and no one wants it ... and it gets wasted ... she was apalled and didn't seem to believe me. she loves fruit and can't start her day without it she said.
today i had most ALL guests turn down the fruit
a few were like, well, okay ... i GUESS i'll have it (as tho they were doing me a favor) don't they realize it's expensive? and nutritious? and yummy?
anyway, the days are so odd ... the guests so varied ...
do your guests tend to want/ expect/ enjoy fruit?

As a traveler I LOVE to have fruit in the morning (also any time of the day!!). I feel it's a great treat when I come down to breakfast and there fruit!

We've never had fruit turned down here :) Sometimes people will not finish their fruit though, especially if they think they won't be able to eat all their entree. haha!
I am a huge fan of fresh fruit at B&Bs when I travel...something that I don't eat at home for breakfast, unless it's some berries or half a banana on a bowl of cereal
teeth_smile.gif

I have started putting the fruit in a compote so the guests can help themselves to as much (or little) of whatever is in it that they like. Less waste that way. Had a guest who loved berries last week. They had blackberries and black raspberries at the Farmer's Market and he was in hog heaven with that fruit. About the only time I do an individual fruit dish is if I do not have a lot of fruit and then I make the banana splits.

Fruit is usually greeted with, 'Oh, how lovely!'
Today we had 2 kids who didn't want it (pineapple & grapefruit), 1 kid (baby) who ate it and all the adults ate it.
I like it when someone says, 'Oh, none for me, thatnks, I don't want you to waste it.' And I take it away and eat it myself. Rather than not telling me and I leave it on the table and then have to throw it out.

Hi Seashanty! how are ya? Almost all of our guests love the fruit. I would say out of 133 couples, maybe 10 people (not couples) didn't eat the fruit.
And if they don't eat it, you know where it's going -- to the two behemouths! lol. Except the grapes -, dogs can't digest grapes.

We put a fruit plate on the table for our guests .. they can take off this main plate what they like and put on their own plate.
We serve a large variety (Mexican grown) pineapple, mango, kiwi, strawberries, papaya, grapes, and other fruit. We have a plethera of choices. We use a combination of about 5 varieties each day, except for the strawberries, we try to put out different combinations.
Our guests all eat the fruit, sometimes the fruit plate comes back empty and sometimes not quite. Our out of country guests especially love the fruit.
Cathy

I make individual fruit cups, sometimes with yogurt, other times with cream and cranola on top. Only had about a 5% turndown, others love it.
Since we have limited supplies on fresh fruit here, mostly strawberry, banana, apples, watermelon, berries

We put a fruit plate on the table for our guests .. they can take off this main plate what they like and put on their own plate.
We serve a large variety (Mexican grown) pineapple, mango, kiwi, strawberries, papaya, grapes, and other fruit. We have a plethera of choices. We use a combination of about 5 varieties each day, except for the strawberries, we try to put out different combinations.
Our guests all eat the fruit, sometimes the fruit plate comes back empty and sometimes not quite. Our out of country guests especially love the fruit.
Cathy.
Cathy said:
Cathy
I have traveled thru MX for weeks living on fresh tropical fruit. I would EXPECT IT at every meal there. Have you decided to do smoothies yet? That is another wonderful treat I would love if I stayed there with you.
Plato de Fruta y cafe con leche es muy bien

I agree with GG. FRESH fruit is the best part of a B&B breakfast imho. I am not fond of cooked fruit, so if it is warm, not my favorite, altho I will enjoy it. It doesn't have to be fancy, just fresh.
Now DH loves canned peaches and apricots. If he had that he would love it.
We went on a cruise last year and my favorite meal was breakfast. Why? I hated everything since I make it everyday, but I got bowlfuls of grapefruit and orange segments. I could not get enough they were so good.
I will make a statement here. Most people DO NOT BUY a variety of fruit. So many leave it behind because they do not know what it is. I cannot tell you the number of guests - well traveled from north, south, east and west who say "That was the first time I have had a kiwi fruit, and I like them!"
I am always taken aback by that. Really? Gosh I ate kiwi fruit when they first started growing them in Northern CA in the late 70's. Some people never eat anything new.

I agree with GG. FRESH fruit is the best part of a B&B breakfast imho. I am not fond of cooked fruit, so if it is warm, not my favorite, altho I will enjoy it. It doesn't have to be fancy, just fresh.
Now DH loves canned peaches and apricots. If he had that he would love it.
We went on a cruise last year and my favorite meal was breakfast. Why? I hated everything since I make it everyday, but I got bowlfuls of grapefruit and orange segments. I could not get enough they were so good.
I will make a statement here. Most people DO NOT BUY a variety of fruit. So many leave it behind because they do not know what it is. I cannot tell you the number of guests - well traveled from north, south, east and west who say "That was the first time I have had a kiwi fruit, and I like them!"
I am always taken aback by that. Really? Gosh I ate kiwi fruit when they first started growing them in Northern CA in the late 70's. Some people never eat anything new..
My compote this morning was a little bit of cantaloupe, a mango cut up, lots of balckberries, lots of black raspberries, and a few strawberries sliced up. The compote was to the brim when I put it on the table and almost empty when my 4 guests left the table. Tomorrow I will add fresh apricots and kiwi to that to replace the melon. Will add some blueberries also.
Did a dinner tonight so it is peach bread pudding in the morning. I hope my relief shows up on time at Chapel tonight!

Back