Getting out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still checking them in. Who'd have thought Newfoundland would be so appealing in October? Those crazy Europeans! Then I found a reservation waiting for me for mid November. Oh well. Pays the utilities. I have two weeks booked in the new year to see my kids and old friends. Only 68 days to go! I was really hoping for some down time but it's only one room for the nights booked. At least I can slow down and my laundry room makeover will be done one step at a time.
On another thought, anyone have suggestions for single serving breakfast items? I have some staying for four days on his own and I don't want to be mundane but I don't need all the leftovers, baking or otherwise..
I freeze my muffins after they have been baked. Some innmates freeze the unbaked batter. That gives lots of flexibility to meals for smaller numbers.
I used to freeze the baked muffins, but now I'm freezing the batter in the paper muffin liner. Now that I've been doing it for a little while, I prefer the batter freeze. I love the smell and texture of the fresh baked muffin.
I do the same, but I'm always so disappointed in how they rise. Sometimes I'll have 14 for breakfast - a fresh batch makes 12, so I'll take two from the freezer. I'm almost embarrassed to serve the two frozen ones with the others, they are so puny and boring looking. I tried to thaw them in the fridge overnight, but regardless of how much I sprayed the tin, they stuck so bad! Too much trouble.
Just an observation, not that I'll stop doing it. Wish there was a solution...

I'm still checking them in. Who'd have thought Newfoundland would be so appealing in October? Those crazy Europeans! Then I found a reservation waiting for me for mid November. Oh well. Pays the utilities. I have two weeks booked in the new year to see my kids and old friends. Only 68 days to go! I was really hoping for some down time but it's only one room for the nights booked. At least I can slow down and my laundry room makeover will be done one step at a time.
On another thought, anyone have suggestions for single serving breakfast items? I have some staying for four days on his own and I don't want to be mundane but I don't need all the leftovers, baking or otherwise..
I freeze my muffins after they have been baked. Some innmates freeze the unbaked batter. That gives lots of flexibility to meals for smaller numbers.
I used to freeze the baked muffins, but now I'm freezing the batter in the paper muffin liner. Now that I've been doing it for a little while, I prefer the batter freeze. I love the smell and texture of the fresh baked muffin.
I do the same, but I'm always so disappointed in how they rise. Sometimes I'll have 14 for breakfast - a fresh batch makes 12, so I'll take two from the freezer. I'm almost embarrassed to serve the two frozen ones with the others, they are so puny and boring looking. I tried to thaw them in the fridge overnight, but regardless of how much I sprayed the tin, they stuck so bad! Too much trouble.
Kay Nein said:
Re a solution, have you though about dividing your batch of fresh batter into 14 muffins instead of 12? You'd need a second muffin tin (fill seven holes per tin, spaced apart for even cooking). If you think the muffins will be too small as 1/14th, add an extra handful of nuts or berries to make up the difference, or top with a struesel/crumb topping to add volume. Mixed crumb topping can be made in big batches, kept frozen and used straight from the freezer.

One thing about starting our small weddings/elopements this year was most of them wanted to be on the beach. WhooHoo! I got out to the beach more often this year than ever before. Here's a picture I took on Sunday right before the wedding ceremony.
DSCF4133%20%28800x600%29.jpg

Kay Nein said:
Re a solution, have you though about dividing your batch of fresh batter into 14 muffins instead of 12? You'd need a second muffin tin (fill seven holes per tin, spaced apart for even cooking). If you think the muffins will be too small as 1/14th, add an extra handful of nuts or berries to make up the difference, or top with a struesel/crumb topping to add volume. Mixed crumb topping can be made in big batches, kept frozen and used straight from the freezer.
When I have one couple, I just make a half recipe. It works perfectly. A half recipe gives me 1 pan (12 mini-muffins) which is enough for breakfast and a few left to bag up as a "care package" for the road. I have yet to find a muffin recipe that does not work.

One thing about starting our small weddings/elopements this year was most of them wanted to be on the beach. WhooHoo! I got out to the beach more often this year than ever before. Here's a picture I took on Sunday right before the wedding ceremony.
Do you have to schedule the ceremony with a tide table? ;)

Oh, how lovely! It doesn't get more picturesque than that.
thumbs_up.gif

Tom said:
You must be thinking of a baptism.

Tom said:
Not typically, because most of the beaches around here have enough sandy beach so there's not a problem. Mostly, I'm having to check sunrise & sunset times. I just booked a Halloween ceremony at sunrise. Now that should be interesting!

Back