Ghosts in the Attic ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably two months after taking over this Inn, we had some ghost hunters stay. Came mid-week toting a TON of suitcases full of equipment. We had no other guests, so we let them have their way with it. Cameras in several rooms, kids ball on the stairs, recorders in the kitchen... My GF/other Innkeeper was so anti-ghost, don't exist, that's devil talk (raise strict Catholic). The next morning, the guy was standing in the kitchen with a recorder when our fridge kicked on. He said, "That fridge is loud". Device registered activity and he played it back - a voice (neither of theirs) said "It is loud". I didn't hear it, but I'm glad she did. We've named him Silvester after the man that built the house. There's also a female presence in an upstairs room. Happy spirits. She thumps around during the day, but no trouble from either. We call her Helen.
Whenever anyone asks if we have ghosts, GF's favorite response is, "I don't know. You tell me in the morning." That usually shuts them up
devil_smile.gif

Probably two months after taking over this Inn, we had some ghost hunters stay. Came mid-week toting a TON of suitcases full of equipment. We had no other guests, so we let them have their way with it. Cameras in several rooms, kids ball on the stairs, recorders in the kitchen... My GF/other Innkeeper was so anti-ghost, don't exist, that's devil talk (raise strict Catholic). The next morning, the guy was standing in the kitchen with a recorder when our fridge kicked on. He said, "That fridge is loud". Device registered activity and he played it back - a voice (neither of theirs) said "It is loud". I didn't hear it, but I'm glad she did. We've named him Silvester after the man that built the house. There's also a female presence in an upstairs room. Happy spirits. She thumps around during the day, but no trouble from either. We call her Helen.
Whenever anyone asks if we have ghosts, GF's favorite response is, "I don't know. You tell me in the morning." That usually shuts them up
devil_smile.gif
K9 said:
Device registered activity and he played it back...
A device that automatically plays back in a different frequency to make a different voice pitch. Very simple electronics.I've had ghost investigators in my building before, a couple of times. All their equipment has electronics to make lights flash at random, and random sounds, that they call "detecting activity". Bogus bogus bogus.
This is a business for them. The make money from people who buy their show, and they laugh about it later. Hucksters. In my humble opinion.
But I would play along with guests who want to believe it. Not for me to burst their bubble.
So I'm a huckster too.

Welcome Yves!
We have had guests who say they are "sensitive" to these things and have told me that in a certain room (they all mentioned the same room) that they get a "warm female presence". No one has ever seen any type of apparition/ghost.
I don't bring it up to guests, but if someone asks, I tell them what I just told you. No one has ever gotten creeped out by it, but I also don't mention it without someone asking.
Has anyone else ever said anything to you?.
Nope, noone ever said anything, so that is what makes me a skeptic... From what I read here, there seems to be quite a few people who would be 'sensitive' to this type of things, so I would think someone else would have said something over the years... but then again, maybe they would be worry that I would think they are nuts!
Sometimes I have them asking during check-in. My area of the U.S. is relatively young, so having a 120 year old house is uncommon. They just figure an old house has to have ghosts.
Jacob Marley, mortgage lender is my only ghost
gillumhouse said:
Are we talking ghosts or skeletons in the closet?
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
All I know is that he rattles loudly every month
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
Are you sure it isn't your knees?
wink_smile.gif

Welcome Yves!
We have had guests who say they are "sensitive" to these things and have told me that in a certain room (they all mentioned the same room) that they get a "warm female presence". No one has ever seen any type of apparition/ghost.
I don't bring it up to guests, but if someone asks, I tell them what I just told you. No one has ever gotten creeped out by it, but I also don't mention it without someone asking.
Nope, noone ever said anything, so that is what makes me a skeptic... From what I read here, there seems to be quite a few people who would be 'sensitive' to this type of things, so I would think someone else would have said something over the years... but then again, maybe they would be worry that I would think they are nuts!
Sometimes I have them asking during check-in. My area of the U.S. is relatively young, so having a 120 year old house is uncommon. They just figure an old house has to have ghosts.
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
wink_smile.gif

Ice said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
wink_smile.gif
My knees do not rattle - they crunch and snap and pop. Rattle requires flexibility.

Welcome Yves!
Yves said:
... From what I read here, there seems to be quite a few people who would be 'sensitive' to this type of things...
That's a nice way of saying they're one French fry short of a Happy Meal.
wink_smile.gif
Always stay polite !

Welcome Yves!
We've never noticed anything in our 155 year old house, but if a guest asks I always reply "Do you want there to be or not?" They usually laugh and we move on to a new subject.

Back