Gift shop items

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
As I'm ordering our Fall gift items, I was wondering if anyone here does the same? We have a small gift area that we sell items to our guests. I know a lot of you sell Mugs but was wondering if you had any luck with other items? Always nice to hear how you can make extra money. After all most of our guests are on vacation and are into spending money.

Oddly, given I live in a place known for shopping, we rarely sell anything extra that I think might sell.
What does sell, tho, is local food. Maple syrup, things like that.
The mugs don't sell, they walk away.

I've sold a handful of logo mugs over the years, but pretty much nothing else. I have wonderful plush robes. Have sold about 3 in the years I've been open. Sell about 3 sets of Comphy sheets/year. That's it. Not really worth the trouble of offering.

local honey and our handwash and handlotion - local company we sell it cheaper than their shop as we get 50% off for trade so they go to the shop see the price and come back and buy from us!

As mentioned in another thread, I have a selection of canvas prints of local views, I've sold a couple the main problem is they are too large for most people to get home, given that most of our guests are international travelers. I need to find a company that sends the prints for self assembly.

I sell mugs, jelly, honey, maple syrup (all West Virginia). I used to sell shirts and aprons but stopped ordering them (prices went up too much to add profit). All the above sell to me wholesale and I have a pick-up/delivery arrangement with them so there is no extra shipping costs. I have a meeting with my syrup provider September 1 for an order. They are going to set up for a local festival and will meet me at the Interstate to exchange product for my check. (We also do the exchange if I am going up "home" for a visit - we meet at the shool where I had 4-H contests & fairs that is near their farm.)

In the sticks and only two rooms. I sell mugs, now at $10. They are not beautiful, but have the logo, phone# and website. People do occasionally buy them. I sold jam a few years ago, and it went like lightning. I sell pies as an add-on, with a few takers a year (as well as dinners and light suppers - on the website) I am considering hoodies and hats, to sell and for the local fundraiser gift baskets I do (I don't give away rooms) But no actual shop space. And I shudder at the extra dusting!. Maybe just a display case on the wall. :)

Oddly, given I live in a place known for shopping, we rarely sell anything extra that I think might sell.
What does sell, tho, is local food. Maple syrup, things like that.
The mugs don't sell, they walk away..
We had some fishermen a couple of weeks ago. A mug walked away, but came back after checkout later that afternoon. "May we use the bathroom?"

robes, mugs, hoodies, metal water bottles, post cards, lotions, bubble baths, soaps, wine, beer, hard cider, all with our logos. We do very well selling these items.

In the sticks and only two rooms. I sell mugs, now at $10. They are not beautiful, but have the logo, phone# and website. People do occasionally buy them. I sold jam a few years ago, and it went like lightning. I sell pies as an add-on, with a few takers a year (as well as dinners and light suppers - on the website) I am considering hoodies and hats, to sell and for the local fundraiser gift baskets I do (I don't give away rooms) But no actual shop space. And I shudder at the extra dusting!. Maybe just a display case on the wall. :).
I use my Hoosier in the dining room as my "gift shop".

We sell standard gift shop fare (t-shirts, mugs, maple syrup, etc.).
We also sell local artisan's craftwork on a consignment basis. Even though we don't sell as much as I'd like, it's nice to showcase the artistic talent here at the top of Vermont.
Occasionally the local woolen mill does a warehouse sale on seconds and outdated ski hats, hoods, sweaters, etc., and we stock up for those who didn't plan on it being cold in Vermont in January.

We sell standard gift shop fare (t-shirts, mugs, maple syrup, etc.).
We also sell local artisan's craftwork on a consignment basis. Even though we don't sell as much as I'd like, it's nice to showcase the artistic talent here at the top of Vermont.
Occasionally the local woolen mill does a warehouse sale on seconds and outdated ski hats, hoods, sweaters, etc., and we stock up for those who didn't plan on it being cold in Vermont in January..
Johnson? I used to love going there. Then there was also the sock factory sale where you could get mismatched socks for a few dollars a bagful.
I've still got my wool socks.

robes, mugs, hoodies, metal water bottles, post cards, lotions, bubble baths, soaps, wine, beer, hard cider, all with our logos. We do very well selling these items..
Do you happen to know what vendors you use for the custom items? We use to sell De n e en mugs but after years gave up on them. We found a much better company to use with better quality and you don't have to wait 3-4 months to get your order. We sell several hundred mugs a year. We do sell jams and jellies and they sell very well also. We are just looking to add some items and like the custom items and such.

robes, mugs, hoodies, metal water bottles, post cards, lotions, bubble baths, soaps, wine, beer, hard cider, all with our logos. We do very well selling these items..
Do you happen to know what vendors you use for the custom items? We use to sell De n e en mugs but after years gave up on them. We found a much better company to use with better quality and you don't have to wait 3-4 months to get your order. We sell several hundred mugs a year. We do sell jams and jellies and they sell very well also. We are just looking to add some items and like the custom items and such.
We don't do the big pottery mugs because it just doesn't fit with our place. Our guests are all served on fine bone china for meals. For our beverage area I just get the simple (cheap) mugs I order from Discount Mugs. Just this past week I sold 5 of them. We sell them for $6.00 and I still am able to have a good margin on them. All of our logo stemware and metal water bottle are also from Discount Mugs. Their turn around time is really quick.

We don't do the big pottery mugs because it just doesn't fit with our place. Our guests are all served on fine bone china for meals. For our beverage area I just get the simple (cheap) mugs I order from Discount Mugs. Just this past week I sold 5 of them. We sell them for $6.00 and I still am able to have a good margin on them. All of our logo stemware and metal water bottle are also from Discount Mugs. Their turn around time is really quick.
I completely understand. The hand made mugs are not a fit for everyone. Thank you for the info!

Locally made usually sells best. Try some locally made jewelry, made vwith something your State is known for - it is coal here. I found a lovely necklace recently made from coal mined in the area it was made in. I have found (as I did when traveling) people want LOCAL, not made in China or elsewhere. Perhaps local baskets (not large ones). See perhaps if some of the students at Ralph Foster make things to sell

Locally made usually sells best. Try some locally made jewelry, made vwith something your State is known for - it is coal here. I found a lovely necklace recently made from coal mined in the area it was made in. I have found (as I did when traveling) people want LOCAL, not made in China or elsewhere. Perhaps local baskets (not large ones). See perhaps if some of the students at Ralph Foster make things to sell.
Id love handmade mugs like yours if I could find anywhere that did them - even the bog standard printed ones are about $12-14 each which means no room for margin. But no its all about local and interesting

Locally made usually sells best. Try some locally made jewelry, made vwith something your State is known for - it is coal here. I found a lovely necklace recently made from coal mined in the area it was made in. I have found (as I did when traveling) people want LOCAL, not made in China or elsewhere. Perhaps local baskets (not large ones). See perhaps if some of the students at Ralph Foster make things to sell.
gillumhouse said:
I found a lovely necklace recently made from coal mined in the area
Sorry, this is unrelated, but the memory just jumped in my mind.
Years ago at a rabbit club Christmas party one of the breeders made a gag gift for a certain person of a pearl necklace, the pearls made of painted rabbit droppings, as will happen gifts got mixed and the preachers wife won the special necklace, why do silly things stick in our mind so many years.

gillumhouse said:
I found a lovely necklace recently made from coal mined in the area
Sorry, this is unrelated, but the memory just jumped in my mind.
Years ago at a rabbit club Christmas party one of the breeders made a gag gift for a certain person of a pearl necklace, the pearls made of painted rabbit droppings, as will happen gifts got mixed and the preachers wife won the special necklace, why do silly things stick in our mind so many years.
That is funny.

Back