Gift Shop

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine had a B&B with beautiful paintings throughout that were painted by a local artist and were for sale. No prices on the paintings, just a note card in the rooms about the artist and letting the guests know that the artwork was for sale. If they were interested in a particular painting the owner kept a price sheet in her office for them to look at. She kept 10% of the sale and made a lot of money. A win-win for her, the artist, and the guests..
I recently stayed at a B&B that was decorated with consignment art by a couple of different artists. It was beautiful and they didn't push it at all. If you were interested in a particular piece, you could ask about it. We also made an offer on a B&B that was also an art gallery with consignment art by several artists. It's a great idea if you're not pushy about it, I think.
Artwork is fine. What I meant was she had price tags on doilies, knic knacs, bedspread etc etc etc.:-(
catlady said:
Artwork is fine. What I meant was she had price tags on doilies, knic knacs, bedspread etc etc etc.:-(
I put cookbooks in the rooms with price tags on them, the old forum suggested I do this, they will have them in hand and flip through them and buy them.
Or in reality - they will collect dust and you have to clean them, you have to move them around the room all the time when guests move them, AND use them as a coaster so they have a water ring, when there is a coaster sitting right beside them. Moral of the story - I didn't like having them in the rooms for sale, it actually embarrassed me.
I had the cookbooks in our living room sitting out where everyone could see them....near the check out area...I sold loads of them:)
I would be leary about putting them in rooms...because of the wear and tear that would happen.
catlady said:
I had the cookbooks in our living room sitting out where everyone could see them....near the check out area...I sold loads of them:)
I would be leary about putting them in rooms...because of the wear and tear that would happen.
I agree, not in the guest rooms. Also, what's to stop them from just copying the recipe(s) that they really like and then not buy the book at all. A lot of our guests buy our cookbook just for the cookie recipe.

We have found that we keep as little as possible in the rooms as the guests often use every surface to put their stuff. Putting out things for them to purchase can also confuse them as we have so many amenities in the room for them to keep. I can see them getting confused and keeping things that are actually for sale.
When you have an inn you will see that you will be more concerned with getting the rooms cleaned in between guests than putting out things for sale with paperwork to have to keep track of.
That will work for big inns with lots of staff, I imagine.
RIki

A friend of mine had a B&B with beautiful paintings throughout that were painted by a local artist and were for sale. No prices on the paintings, just a note card in the rooms about the artist and letting the guests know that the artwork was for sale. If they were interested in a particular painting the owner kept a price sheet in her office for them to look at. She kept 10% of the sale and made a lot of money. A win-win for her, the artist, and the guests..
I recently stayed at a B&B that was decorated with consignment art by a couple of different artists. It was beautiful and they didn't push it at all. If you were interested in a particular piece, you could ask about it. We also made an offer on a B&B that was also an art gallery with consignment art by several artists. It's a great idea if you're not pushy about it, I think.
catlady said:
I put cookbooks in the rooms with price tags on them, the old forum suggested I do this, they will have them in hand and flip through them and buy them.
Or in reality - they will collect dust and you have to clean them, you have to move them around the room all the time when guests move them, AND use them as a coaster so they have a water ring, when there is a coaster sitting right beside them. Moral of the story - I didn't like having them in the rooms for sale, it actually embarrassed me.
catlady said:
I agree, not in the guest rooms. Also, what's to stop them from just copying the recipe(s) that they really like and then not buy the book at all. A lot of our guests buy our cookbook just for the cookie recipe.
You know, when someone said to me.."oh I just want the xxx recipe" I knew they didn't want to buy the entire book...so I usually just said "oh go and get the cookbook and just copy the recipe"..It made them happy and I really didn't care if I sold the cookbook or not. No big deal.

catlady said:
catlady said:
Breakfast Diva said:
catlady said:
I just want to offload them at this point. I have all cookbooks 50% off right now. I am old and weary and not eager to sell stuff (other than room nights).
confused_smile.gif

But see the old innkeepers forum all pushed to have them in the rooms. Whatever...I want less and less to dust and clean!

We have found that we keep as little as possible in the rooms as the guests often use every surface to put their stuff. Putting out things for them to purchase can also confuse them as we have so many amenities in the room for them to keep. I can see them getting confused and keeping things that are actually for sale.
When you have an inn you will see that you will be more concerned with getting the rooms cleaned in between guests than putting out things for sale with paperwork to have to keep track of.
RIki.
egoodell said:
We have found that we keep as little as possible in the rooms as the guests often use every surface to put their stuff.
Absolutely! Space is an ammenity. Clutter in the rooms is not.
wink_smile.gif

RIki.
egoodell said:
We have found that we keep as little as possible in the rooms as the guests often use every surface to put their stuff.
wink_smile.gif

But you have to balance it with, "You have thought of every detail!"
teeth_smile.gif
You absolutely have to have enough horizontal surface and hanging space for people's stuff. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of stuff that people bring with them! Then, they buy more stuff when they are here and we are not in a place that is known at all for its shopping!

RIki.
egoodell said:
wink_smile.gif

swirt said:
egoodell said:
wink_smile.gif
There is never enough space for guests belongings, ever. I mean they are not just sleeping in your room, they bring a ton of stuff with them.

I guess I would be in the minority then. I think if the letter about things for sale is done tastefully I would like it in the room. I hate to have to ask you how much something is because I feel like if I ask I should buy....

I guess I would be in the minority then. I think if the letter about things for sale is done tastefully I would like it in the room. I hate to have to ask you how much something is because I feel like if I ask I should buy.....
GeorgiaGirl said:
I guess I would be in the minority then. I think if the letter about things for sale is done tastefully I would like it in the room. I hate to have to ask you how much something is because I feel like if I ask I should buy....
Why would you ask though? Every thing should have a price tag on it, we have prices on everything here.

I agree w/Joe but then I like "thingies" in my room to look at while lounging on your inviting porch or in your cozy parlor, while breakfasting (if not chatting w/other guests) or to take w/while enjoying a long, soothing bubble bath. I like the idea if it is tastefully done.
If I may...gift shop or nook, it should be clean, inviting, colorful, smell good. No tired merchandise faded by the sun that's peeked through the window, fading the pkging. Fru-fru is fun. Use it. Prices clearly marked (on flip side). Invite, appeal, use the five senses to captivate, entice.
B&B, inns are an escape. That's what makes "you guys" so-o wonderful!
Spoil your guests and they will come. (I've worked in service much of my life so I know what you are dealing with). No, I'm not suggesting taking abuse but do pamper. That is what you are all about.
Your help should wear that smile. No bad mouthing guests or rolling eyeballs around in the head. Think luxe, plush, great manners, hospitality. Service.
Tip: I've worked for some off the wealthiest in Palm Beach Co. and when I found a client "a challenge", I bit the bullet and looked at them in a different light. I became amused by some of their eccentricities. Well, it was better than hitting a pill bottle or hitting them. lol It came in handy and got me through my day. Hope this helps. If not, delete me.
Manners are always in vogue.

I have my husband's paintings throughout the house with very small tags with prices. I do not want anyone to feel badly when hearing a price and have to gulp, I don't think sooooo. My gift shop is in a Hoosier cupboard in the dining room with prices marked. I do not allude to it. If they want, they tell me.
To have items in the rooms invites it to be packed up in the other luggage "accidently" and also as has been expressed already takes up space the guest needs.

I guess I would be in the minority then. I think if the letter about things for sale is done tastefully I would like it in the room. I hate to have to ask you how much something is because I feel like if I ask I should buy.....
GeorgiaGirl said:
Why would you ask though? Every thing should have a price tag on it, we have prices on everything here.
Joe Bloggs said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
I was wondering why DW keeps trying to hang a tag on me!
smiley-angry013.gif

GeorgiaGirl said:
Joe Bloggs said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
smiley-angry013.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
smiley-angry013.gif
I thought you would say you have a price tag and it says "priceless"

GeorgiaGirl said:
Joe Bloggs said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
smiley-angry013.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
smiley-angry013.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
smiley-angry013.gif
Aw, shucks.
smiley-ashamed005.gif

Back