Going Out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you to everyone that's replied.
My wife and I live in London, England and are looking to move to the coast. We don't have seminars in the UK and instead we'll have to learn from the internet, books etc
The property we're looking at is a boutique hotel rather than a home stay so even though we'll be living in the basement, I don't think guests will feel especially dependent on us although this is something to look into..
AjMed said:
Thank you to everyone that's replied.
My wife and I live in London, England and are looking to move to the coast. We don't have seminars in the UK and instead we'll have to learn from the internet, books etc
The property we're looking at is a boutique hotel rather than a home stay so even though we'll be living in the basement, I don't think guests will feel especially dependent on us although this is something to look into.
Good heavens you're not buying Fawlty Towers in Torquay are you???
Weve got it on at the moment! - Also I would strongly recommend reading How to open a financially successful Bed and Breakfast or small hotel by Arduser & Brown as feel its the best on the market at the moment in regards financials.

I would also look at this one http://www.bedandbreakfastacademy.co.uk/.
Thank you CamerleyHotel - I've just got in touch with all the contacts you suggested - really helpeful
As far as seasons and bookings - my wife and I have found that the B&B's are quite busy all year round. about 42% in December/January but by March its picked up. In fact when we did our viewings last week, the B&B we're interested in was full and that was midweek.
Also I would get in touch with the TIC there, they can tell you average occupancy figures for the town so you can see if that is standard or an anomaly - looks good to the bank if you can provide them with good local occupancy figures as well, shows you have done your homework.
Can you explain what TIC is?
Sounds like you need some studying and Camberly is probably the only one here who can address your needs satisfactorily since she is in the UK. You can read all you want , but unless you attend a course and possibly do some work in one especially a small hotel, you need some experience. Otherwise, you will be wasting your money.

Thank you CamerleyHotel - I've just got in touch with all the contacts you suggested - really helpeful
As far as seasons and bookings - my wife and I have found that the B&B's are quite busy all year round. about 42% in December/January but by March its picked up. In fact when we did our viewings last week, the B&B we're interested in was full and that was midweek.
Also I would get in touch with the TIC there, they can tell you average occupancy figures for the town so you can see if that is standard or an anomaly - looks good to the bank if you can provide them with good local occupancy figures as well, shows you have done your homework.
Sounds like you need some studying and Camberly is probably the only one here who can address your needs satisfactorily since she is in the UK. You can read all you want , but unless you attend a course and possibly do some work in one especially a small hotel, you need some experience. Otherwise, you will be wasting your money.
EmptyNest said:
Yes, I can see after all the replies that we do need to do a course and get some professional advice.
Camberly has been especially helpful and we've spent the whole day/evening going through everything - thank you so much. I'm quite overwhelmed at how helpful everyone here is.

EmptyNest said:
Yes, I can see after all the replies that we do need to do a course and get some professional advice.
Camberly has been especially helpful and we've spent the whole day/evening going through everything - thank you so much. I'm quite overwhelmed at how helpful everyone here is.
I think because we all had the same dream many years ago. We want you to be successful but we also want you to know exactly what you are getting into.:)

When we step out for dinner, errands, or a business meeting we just mention to the guests at breakfast when we'll be out and tell them that we will forward the phone to our cell should they need us they can call.
Riki

When we step out for dinner, errands, or a business meeting we just mention to the guests at breakfast when we'll be out and tell them that we will forward the phone to our cell should they need us they can call.
Riki.
the reason I am wary of this is because you are basically telling them you are going to be out, my neighbour has a bit of an odd system of operating which spun out of them not having hardly any owners accommodation - they bought a house in the next street, despite this there is always one of them at the B&B at night however sometimes not till 11pm. Trouble is she will say things like im off to make tea for the kids Ill be back later - I don't think they actually believe her and it leads to people who are not guests being brought back, noise and so on.

Riki.
the reason I am wary of this is because you are basically telling them you are going to be out, my neighbour has a bit of an odd system of operating which spun out of them not having hardly any owners accommodation - they bought a house in the next street, despite this there is always one of them at the B&B at night however sometimes not till 11pm. Trouble is she will say things like im off to make tea for the kids Ill be back later - I don't think they actually believe her and it leads to people who are not guests being brought back, noise and so on.
..if you are concerned then I guess you'll have to find a baby sitter for when you go out. But if you're going to worry about what the guests are going to do, maybe a B&B is not for you? Just make sure there is nothing in the common areas that you will be heartbroken about getting broken, and make sure your private area can be locked.
Riki

For what it's worth...As a B&B fan having lodged at many inns, I don't recall the hosts ever announcing their evening or after hour plans. And only when we became repeat lodgers did a few of our hosts feel comfortable to let us know that they were going out or that the owner was out of town for the time. Didn't matter and we behaved as though they were on premises at all times.
As for some innkeepers monitoring or eyeing their guests' every move, that is creepy.
devil_smile.gif
But I can understand why some would feel a need to do so.

I've no horse in the race but I understand the Claiborne is on the market. It's beautiful, well kept and has a wonderful reputation. I want her but my energies...and money are going into a B&B themed PG-13 movie. But if I can't have her then someone deserving should bag this beauty. Best wishes!

As long as everyone has checked in and appear to have what they need, we figure the night is ours. We'll see them at 8 for breakfast.
(We put my husband's cell number on the welcome packet along with police and fire as "emergency numbers."

AjMed said:
This is not meant as a snarky statement - IF you are going into a Tourism business, and lodgings is a big part of tourism, then that term needs to be known to you. OTA and a few other terms will be important. At a guess I would think Tourism Information Center. We have CVB - Convention and Visitors Bureau. A very important part of the industry is learning the terminology. Think like a tourist, where would you go for information about an area.

AjMed said:
This is not meant as a snarky statement - IF you are going into a Tourism business, and lodgings is a big part of tourism, then that term needs to be known to you. OTA and a few other terms will be important. At a guess I would think Tourism Information Center. We have CVB - Convention and Visitors Bureau. A very important part of the industry is learning the terminology. Think like a tourist, where would you go for information about an area.
gillumhouse said:
AjMed said:
I didn't know what it meant either. I've been in the service business since I was a kid. Restaurants, hotels, etc. I wouldn't have gotten CVB either. Acronyms are not always as obvious as those using them think they are. In my area, we use a COC - Chamber of Commerce.

AjMed said:
gillumhouse said:
AjMed said:
I didn't know what it meant either. I've been in the service business since I was a kid. Restaurants, hotels, etc. I wouldn't have gotten CVB either. Acronyms are not always as obvious as those using them think they are. In my area, we use a COC - Chamber of Commerce.
I apologize. then. I just thought about what would she be referring to - I had not heard the TIC term before - and it seemed logical to be Tourist or Tourism Information Center.

AjMed said:
gillumhouse said:
AjMed said:
I apologize. then. I just thought about what would she be referring to - I had not heard the TIC term before - and it seemed logical to be Tourist or Tourism Information Center.
gillumhouse said:
Thanks for the response - just thought it best to ask - that's why I'm here posting - to learn from you all

Back