Govnt shut down?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
I have received a few calls from people that might have to cancel their trips do to the mess in DC. Has anyone had this problem yet? If so, how are you dealing with it?

Oh yes...it's crazy here. Lots of folks cancelling just when the leaves are starting to turn :-( Not a whole lot you can do. Most are within the "stated cancellation" time frame, so they just cancel. Too bad as it was shaping up to be a banner year. Hope it doesn't last long.

Our state tourism group sent out an email encouraging ALL innkeepers in the state to have a list of OTHER things to see other than the one national park we have that is absolutely the biggest 'natural' draw in the state. Those small inns are the ones suffering and we are all encouraged to let guests know what else there is to do in that area so the guests don't simply cancel and decide to come another year.
Today's paper showed hikers climbing over the blockades and going in anyway. Parking would be the big issue. But if you're going in anyway, it will be sweet not to have to deal with car traffic!
What I would do if we were getting calls about canceling? Have that list ready! ALL of these local and state options are available to you! OTOH, if guests are calling because they don't have jobs, that's another thing. Then I might keep the deposit for another stay.
I've already posted a bunch of places to go on FB.

Well, now that you brought it up...the cancellations have started coming in. There was a big Navy event here in a few weeks and guests are telling me they can't get reimbursed for travel so they are canceling. Not a sightseeing trip for them so no other reason to come but the event.

http://blog.claibornehouse.net/2013/10/the-blue-ridge-parkway-is-open.html
Our state tourism dept refuses to post this info, they said amenities on the BRP are closed, I said The cities and towns right off the BRP are OPEN! They wont discuss this. I am not discussing it IN THE LEAST, I am only sharing the BRP IS OPEN!!.
Our Chamber put out a nice story yesterday
at : http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs173/1103464048551/archive/1115136556541.html
Yes there are plenty of other things to see and do..but...if they don't have a paycheck coming in..why would they want to take their trip? Food on the table is a little more important.

No cancels so far. Do have an elopement booked for this Saturday that both are GOV employees. She called to verify the date and stated even though we are both gov employees and not accentual staff, we are still on the job with no pay. We are still VERY excited about this Saturday. This, in light, that TS Karen may also dampen the day.
The National Wildlife Refuges that surround us are closed. An annual event held at one has been canceled even as flyers are distributed in local papers. Verifying the closure, I tried to go to their website but it is down and redirected to the DOI site stating that even the websites are not available.

I was happy this would be one of our best Octobers ever, and now the cancellations are rolling in...

I just did a post asking everyone following us to share about the towns, cities, food, lodging, and things to see and do that are still open so do not cancel a planned trip - just discover new things. Hope it helps.

We had a reservation this weekend that contacted me and finally had to cancel as they are working 17 hours a day and were told they had to work all weekend because of the shutdown. They understood they had to pay but I was lucky enough to fill the room and tour last night. It happens to be our busy season so I lucked out.
Riki

Fickle business this is. In our case it always turns out that when times are tough, the people go on short trips and away from the stress. We are always busier when times get bad. Maybe because how our Pure Michigan advertising says "fun and relaxation is only a tank of gas away"
We are lucky

I don't know how it's being enforced yet, but they are attempting to essentially "close the ocean" here. I've got a boat coming back later today and I want to find out if they were able to get through the waters of Biscayne National Park enroute to Key Largo, or whether they had to travel on the outside of the keys, and cut back through way down south to come back north on the inside of the keys. This is really going to suck as we are scheduled to travel through there next week, and our boat is too big to do the cut back through down at Tavenier and come back north. Stopping traffic from traveling through the water is just childish, but I think that's the intent. The Feds who are patrolling the waters were told to make the situation just as difficult as they possibly could for the people who needed to use the water to get through.

I don't know how it's being enforced yet, but they are attempting to essentially "close the ocean" here. I've got a boat coming back later today and I want to find out if they were able to get through the waters of Biscayne National Park enroute to Key Largo, or whether they had to travel on the outside of the keys, and cut back through way down south to come back north on the inside of the keys. This is really going to suck as we are scheduled to travel through there next week, and our boat is too big to do the cut back through down at Tavenier and come back north. Stopping traffic from traveling through the water is just childish, but I think that's the intent. The Feds who are patrolling the waters were told to make the situation just as difficult as they possibly could for the people who needed to use the water to get through..
All of our guests headed for our national park have pretty much said, 'Screw the shutdown, I traveled x thousand miles and I'm going in the park.' And it looks glorious! No cars, just people just walking on the road, rollerblading, biking, etc. The folks who jumped the barricade will remember this trip to park long after most people do.

The House and the Senate should have their pay adjusted until they come up with an agreement. This is not good!

So what are you all doing when someone cancels do to this issue? Are you letting them out of it? Refunding their money? I just had a 3 night stay cancel for this weekend. He said they are being ordered back to work without pay. Is this correct or is this guy telling me a bunch or $@#^?

So what are you all doing when someone cancels do to this issue? Are you letting them out of it? Refunding their money? I just had a 3 night stay cancel for this weekend. He said they are being ordered back to work without pay. Is this correct or is this guy telling me a bunch or $@#^?.
I am handling this under my regular policies. So, if this guy of yours had an emergency at work and got called in and had to cancel, how would you handle it? That's the line I would take.
So far, my cancels have all been the 'refund less the cancellation fee' type and everyone has been ok with that.

So what are you all doing when someone cancels do to this issue? Are you letting them out of it? Refunding their money? I just had a 3 night stay cancel for this weekend. He said they are being ordered back to work without pay. Is this correct or is this guy telling me a bunch or $@#^?.
WRONG...they did vote to give back pay to all who are furloughed. So he is lying. He's not getting paid now, but he will be.

They are on a paid vacation now. But still, they don't know what is around the corner, so they are cancelling. I am doing the right thing. In my own estimation.

Back