Groupon/Living Social revisited

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for my information who pay the sales tax on these rooms used with Groupon or LS? How is that handled?.
Around here, you have to pay taxes on the full amount directly. The same is true with GC around here, tax is extra and not part of the GC.

I just bought a Grp0n deal this morning. It's for Vegas and is a good deal. I need a getaway I can look forward to! We're able to put 2 together and will stay for 4 nights. Good room rate with $100 food credit & $100 gambling credit for the 4 nights.
These are the type of deals, big hotes/resorts that I think can really benefit from group discounts. I'm sure they don't care much about their TA reviews because they're so huge.
It's pretty frightening all of the really dumb. redundant questions the public asks about the deals. With Grp0n, you can post a question and it's answered pretty quickly. They ask the same questions over and over and most of them just can't get the concept of black out dates, weekend vs weekday coupons and restrictions. It must be tough when one of these deals is for a b&b and to have to field these questions all day!.
Breakfast Diva said:
They ask the same questions over and over and most of them just can't get the concept of black out dates, weekend vs weekday coupons and restrictions. It must be tough when one of these deals is for a b&b and to have to field these questions all day!
This is the part I have disliked the most. People only see the VALUE and do not read the fine print until they purchase and you are right they can't understand black out dates, how the weekends get filled first, etc. I like how they are now allowing the merchant to split the weekdays from the weekends and only have X # of each. This will take care of a lot of headaches for both the customer and the merchant.
This was not the case when we had our promotion. Of course we had a limit to sell and did not sell the full number we were alotted but as with all of us there are only so many weekend room nights.... All I can say - those that jumped first gobbled them up. Just like any sale the best gets taken as soon as the doors open.

We just had someone try and use their crwdct and did not read it. So we stuck to the rules and got a nice 1 bubble on tripadvisor. Ouch. Then they cancelled the review and post again as so they were the highest review as we got a 5 star right after they had done theirs. It is obvious in the review that they are touched but it is in the aggregate rating.

We just had someone try and use their crwdct and did not read it. So we stuck to the rules and got a nice 1 bubble on tripadvisor. Ouch. Then they cancelled the review and post again as so they were the highest review as we got a 5 star right after they had done theirs. It is obvious in the review that they are touched but it is in the aggregate rating..
toddburme said:
We just had someone try and use their crwdct and did not read it. So we stuck to the rules and got a nice 1 bubble on tripadvisor. Ouch. Then they cancelled the review and post again as so they were the highest review as we got a 5 star right after they had done theirs. It is obvious in the review that they are touched but it is in the aggregate rating.
Am I reading that correctly? The guest wrote the review, then retracted it when they saw you had a good review and rewrote it so it shows at the top again? How many times can they do this? Take screen shots right now and turn their sorry selves into TA for spamming your listing. Regardless of the interaction they had they should not be able to keep rewriting the review. That is childish for one thing and punitive for another.

I just bought a Grp0n deal this morning. It's for Vegas and is a good deal. I need a getaway I can look forward to! We're able to put 2 together and will stay for 4 nights. Good room rate with $100 food credit & $100 gambling credit for the 4 nights.
These are the type of deals, big hotes/resorts that I think can really benefit from group discounts. I'm sure they don't care much about their TA reviews because they're so huge.
It's pretty frightening all of the really dumb. redundant questions the public asks about the deals. With Grp0n, you can post a question and it's answered pretty quickly. They ask the same questions over and over and most of them just can't get the concept of black out dates, weekend vs weekday coupons and restrictions. It must be tough when one of these deals is for a b&b and to have to field these questions all day!.
Breakfast Diva said:
They ask the same questions over and over and most of them just can't get the concept of black out dates, weekend vs weekday coupons and restrictions. It must be tough when one of these deals is for a b&b and to have to field these questions all day!
This is the part I have disliked the most. People only see the VALUE and do not read the fine print until they purchase and you are right they can't understand black out dates, how the weekends get filled first, etc. I like how they are now allowing the merchant to split the weekdays from the weekends and only have X # of each. This will take care of a lot of headaches for both the customer and the merchant.
This was not the case when we had our promotion. Of course we had a limit to sell and did not sell the full number we were alotted but as with all of us there are only so many weekend room nights.... All I can say - those that jumped first gobbled them up. Just like any sale the best gets taken as soon as the doors open.
See, this is where I think things go off the rails, in spite of this, some yoohoo will write a TA review about not being able to get a weekend night when that is what they wanted because they are all booked. They just don't understand why you weren't holding it for them when they wanted it.

We just had someone try and use their crwdct and did not read it. So we stuck to the rules and got a nice 1 bubble on tripadvisor. Ouch. Then they cancelled the review and post again as so they were the highest review as we got a 5 star right after they had done theirs. It is obvious in the review that they are touched but it is in the aggregate rating..
toddburme said:
Am I reading that correctly? The guest wrote the review, then retracted it when they saw you had a good review and rewrote it so it shows at the top again? How many times can they do this? Take screen shots right now and turn their sorry selves into TA for spamming your listing. Regardless of the interaction they had they should not be able to keep rewriting the review. That is childish for one thing and punitive for another.
We have informed TA about it.

Back