Guest injured, ugh

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
A very well loved guest of ours started her vacation with us 3 days ago. Yesterday she fell at the municipal marina and broke her elbow and shoulder. I am so sorry for that and at the same time so relieved that it didn't happen to her here.
But I also was afraid that she would go back home to recover after her surgery and that we would miss out on her $3500 rental. I hate being that way
In the nearly 21 years of owning this business, we have never had anything like this happen on our property. I am knocking on wood right now.

worst we had was here on site - ive never seen anything like it .
Guest had not long had back surgery which I did not know about and it had affected her legs - she told husband to go on ahead of her up the stairs as she would take longer (he should have known better and if I had known about the operation I would have followed her) she also had a bad wrist so didn't have the best grip on the handrail which was on that side.
Legs gave way or leg couldn't tell and she did a full back somersault down the stairs and landed on her neck - how she didn't break her neck I will never know. She would not allow us to call an ambulance and insisted she was fine - me and the husband convinced her at the very least they would need to go to A&E to have her checked out. She called me later in the evening to say they had got home fine but she had broken her elbow but was otherwise well. I was just glad it wasn't worse! they weren't blaming us or anything but I'll tell you I make sure I walk up the stairs behind any guests from the breakfast room im not sure of!

Poor woman! I hope she is ok and isn't in too much pain. And I hope they stay.

Iris, I'm so glad it wasn't on your property and she'll be ok. Like you, I would feel bad, but would also be so relieved that it didn't happen on our property. I hope she stays and recoops at your place.
Cambs, it must have been terrifying to see that woman falling down the stairs! Glad it was just broken bones, it could have been so much worse.

worst we had was here on site - ive never seen anything like it .
Guest had not long had back surgery which I did not know about and it had affected her legs - she told husband to go on ahead of her up the stairs as she would take longer (he should have known better and if I had known about the operation I would have followed her) she also had a bad wrist so didn't have the best grip on the handrail which was on that side.
Legs gave way or leg couldn't tell and she did a full back somersault down the stairs and landed on her neck - how she didn't break her neck I will never know. She would not allow us to call an ambulance and insisted she was fine - me and the husband convinced her at the very least they would need to go to A&E to have her checked out. She called me later in the evening to say they had got home fine but she had broken her elbow but was otherwise well. I was just glad it wasn't worse! they weren't blaming us or anything but I'll tell you I make sure I walk up the stairs behind any guests from the breakfast room im not sure of!.
holy cow. holy cow.
And you are lucky they didn't sue you, because that seems to be what the next step would be

Iris, I'm so glad it wasn't on your property and she'll be ok. Like you, I would feel bad, but would also be so relieved that it didn't happen on our property. I hope she stays and recoops at your place.
Cambs, it must have been terrifying to see that woman falling down the stairs! Glad it was just broken bones, it could have been so much worse..
Seems she's going to want to stay, according to her husband who just called me from the hospital. phew. I will do everything in my power and ability to spoil her rotten and make her feel better.

Cambs, it must have been terrifying to see that woman falling down the stairs! Glad it was just broken bones, it could have been so much worse..
Seems she's going to want to stay, according to her husband who just called me from the hospital. phew. I will do everything in my power and ability to spoil her rotten and make her feel better.
There would be no better place than yours to recover! I know you'll give her all the pampering she needs.
thumbs_up.gif

There would be no better place than yours to recover! I know you'll give her all the pampering she needs.
thumbs_up.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
thumbs_up.gif
you are too sweet, thank you, BD.
heart.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
thumbs_up.gif
Ditto

Iris - I am so sorry she fell but am with everyone being thankful it was not at your place. Glad she will be OK and is the sort who will NOT let it interrupt her vacation.
I managed to drop an egg, cheese, & spinach casserole straight from the oven on the arm of a guest just a few years after we opened. I had to drag him to he sink to run cold water on his arm. Then he sneaked upstairs to change hi shirt and would not even let me wash it for him. They came back 7 years later with friends (they made the reservation and we still exchange Christmas messages). I lucked out to have wonderful guests.

We had the opposite problem - guest had emergency surgery while here and needed to stay longer! We were trying to rearrange rooms when the guest decided to go home instead.
Glad your guest is OK!

Iris - I am so sorry she fell but am with everyone being thankful it was not at your place. Glad she will be OK and is the sort who will NOT let it interrupt her vacation.
I managed to drop an egg, cheese, & spinach casserole straight from the oven on the arm of a guest just a few years after we opened. I had to drag him to he sink to run cold water on his arm. Then he sneaked upstairs to change hi shirt and would not even let me wash it for him. They came back 7 years later with friends (they made the reservation and we still exchange Christmas messages). I lucked out to have wonderful guests..
gillumhouse said:
I managed to drop an egg, cheese, & spinach casserole straight from the oven on the arm of a guest just a few years after we opened. I had to drag him to he sink to run cold water on his arm. Then he sneaked upstairs to change hi shirt and would not even let me wash it for him. They came back 7 years later with friends (they made the reservation and we still exchange Christmas messages). I lucked out to have wonderful guests.
See, it's those kind of guests that we cherrish and love our jobs.
copperhead...thank you for saying that!

Back