Guest reading materials

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undersea

Reaction score
In the online world, printed materials are disappearing. But I wonder what books, magazines or CDs you offer. And whether any in particular seem popular.
Not really talking about tourist type brochures here...

We have a library of beach paperbacks. We have a magazine rack of local stuff like NorthShore Magazine and Yankee. We also have a couple coffee table books of local history and pictures.
And we have a binder in the living room filled with our press articles.

Each of our cottages has an eclectic collection of books amassed over decades.

We have 2 county magazines which are cheap and cover things to do and so on, quite a lot of local based books from charity shops and so on (so not worried if they walk)
for example The Harrogate Secret from Catherine Cookson

We have 2 county magazines which are cheap and cover things to do and so on, quite a lot of local based books from charity shops and so on (so not worried if they walk)
for example The Harrogate Secret from Catherine Cookson.
Joey Camb said:
you give me a good idea. There is a collection set in our town ("Murder on Bearskin Neck is the first of the series.") I have them somewhere in my personal collection. I will have to dig them out and put them in the inn library.

Magazines of differing varieties:
  • Local mags that I get free,
  • one I subscribe to,
  • some come from the magazine itself for free just to get it in the hands of guests
  • my own personal mags end up in the living room for guests
  • whatever is in the free bin at the library
  • alumni mags from our colleges
  • whatever guests leave behind
(What goes over well - People, Car and Driver, The New Yorker, the local mags, food magazines (almost any of them))
Books:
  • Local books - things to do, famous people, local stories
  • General reading material for kids (little and middle grades, nothing for teens) and adults (one repeat guests starts at the bookshelves before going to his room)
  • More cheap stuff from the library's perennial book sale shelf (I fill a bag for $5)
  • Anything I'm not ever going to read again and it's too early to take it to the library for the yearly book sale
No other media available.

for example The Harrogate Secret from Catherine Cookson.
Joey Camb said:
you give me a good idea. There is a collection set in our town ("Murder on Bearskin Neck is the first of the series.") I have them somewhere in my personal collection. I will have to dig them out and put them in the inn library.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Camb said:
There's a series set near hear that we're mentioned in, I should get those!

Pretty well stocked library of books: novels, history, art, architecture biographies and of course many books about the area..some factual history and some just set here.
Our books are very popular since our market is older couples who are looking to wind down and relax. 2 or 3 times a season we get requests to take home a book started, but not finished. The book almost always comes back...and the guest does too!
Magazines: Techie type, Science oriented, home and garden, cooking and MS is very popular along with design magazines. One monthly mag about the area, and a yearly issue of the area put out by the Feds.
We also have a small library of DVDs, on a help yourself basis and a couple of books on tape by Henry Beston and Walden. Kinda gets people in the mood for a foggy day instead of beach, beach, beach.

We have a few tour books... my mind is still far better than they are when it comes to recommendations... I have a few hundred restaurants in my head and most things and neighbourhoods to see.

I have a small collection of DVDs (movies), magazines about WV that i get free, Himself's motorcycle and art magazines and 2 bookcases of books to be stolen. They are NOT to come back. All hardbacks of varied subjects with a preponderance of good, healthy murders - the ones I prefer. Have some of the best authors - Grafton, Evanovich, etc

I had a take and leave supply of magazines and 'beach trash' sorry no offense meant. Those funny romance books with the same couple on all the covers only in different hair/coloring/clothes. People were welcome to take away books and we always had plenty that they left behind. Someone thought I'd run out of books, but I never did.
I had stamps inside that said 'TAKE ME' and the b&b name ... pretty funny when one of the old guys came into breakfast to ask if that was a proposition. I also had a basket that I'd put the latest books (or the longest hangeron's) and a sign that they were free to take.
:)
I also had books with the inn name that were to stay there.

That reminds me ... the place had a reputation for being 'friendly' ... when you give away freely what costs you nothing or next to nothing to give, it sets a tone. Like the flowers. I usually put out flowers from the garden and yard. At the end of breakfast, I'd tell them to take the flowers from their table if they wanted to ... sometimes I'd suggest they take the vases - those small white ones that kept accumulating!
Most gorgeous flowers EVER were a wedding bouquet from a bride who was married up at the lighthouse. They were flying off and couldn't take. I divided those up on all the tables and they were amazing. Two of the cream colored roses I put in a box of silica gel / flower drying kit I had but never had used. I shipped those to their address and she sent the sweetest thank you (plus chocolates!) :)

We have Yankee Magazine, People, Bon Appetite, Car and Driver, and The New Yorker. We also have a few local newspapers. On a desk with brochures we have a few hiking guides, and books with the history of our town. Two books that the guests love are The Secret Language of Birthdays, and The Secret Language of Relationships. They are horoscope-type books and guests love to read if their compatible with one another. It's a hoot!

I had a take and leave supply of magazines and 'beach trash' sorry no offense meant. Those funny romance books with the same couple on all the covers only in different hair/coloring/clothes. People were welcome to take away books and we always had plenty that they left behind. Someone thought I'd run out of books, but I never did.
I had stamps inside that said 'TAKE ME' and the b&b name ... pretty funny when one of the old guys came into breakfast to ask if that was a proposition. I also had a basket that I'd put the latest books (or the longest hangeron's) and a sign that they were free to take.
:)
I also had books with the inn name that were to stay there..
seashanty said:
What a great idea for a promotional!!! I can see making up my Undersea label and sticking it on giveaway books. Beats spending $3 each for giveaway Tshirts or hats and costs nothing (if you are smart).

Each of our cottages has an eclectic collection of books amassed over decades..
Harborfields said:
Same here. And the bookshelves are getting fuller as guests leave their books after finishing them. I just have to go once in a while and switch books around the different cottages so that the regulars don't see the same books over and over

Each of our cottages has an eclectic collection of books amassed over decades..
Harborfields said:
Same here. And the bookshelves are getting fuller as guests leave their books after finishing them. I just have to go once in a while and switch books around the different cottages so that the regulars don't see the same books over and over
Iris said:
Harborfields said:
I just did that today! Now I have a tote bag full of old mags that I will take to the library for the 'free' bin.
Last summer I brought about 12 - 15 mags with me every week for a month and in an hour they were all gone. I asked as I thought maybe the library was throwing them out. No. Summer people at the campgrounds love the free bin!
Time to fill it up again.

Back