Guest Room Art

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's great to have original art in the rooms, all my rooms have canvas prints of my photos of the area. I get a lot of great comments about this. I've even sold a few..
HJ - where do you get the prints made?
Morticia said:
Some by Vistaprint some from mypicture.co.uk
Not only do guests love to see some local, original photos but you can also have prints of a particular colour to match the rooms scheme.
So when I decorated my purple room this year I ordered a print of Loch ness for above the bed (I added the text to the photo saying "Loch Ness" using Photoshop elements), I also had a purple clematis photo from the garden which I used Photoshop filters to styalize for the prints each side.
DSCF6109_slimmed.jpg

Same when I did the green colour scheme in the breakfast room, had a print made of a photo of a Japanese maple in the garden.
DSCF6429%5B1%5D.jpg

Those look wonderful HJ!
Thank you. The other great thing about canvas prints is you can get one to exactly fit the size of wall space you want to fill.
I like to add a bit of text like the house name so guests know it's an original piece.
They're not that expensive now days either.

I think it's great to have original art in the rooms, all my rooms have canvas prints of my photos of the area. I get a lot of great comments about this. I've even sold a few..
Morticia said:
Some by Vistaprint some from mypicture.co.uk
Not only do guests love to see some local, original photos but you can also have prints of a particular colour to match the rooms scheme.
So when I decorated my purple room this year I ordered a print of Loch ness for above the bed (I added the text to the photo saying "Loch Ness" using Photoshop elements), I also had a purple clematis photo from the garden which I used Photoshop filters to styalize for the prints each side.
DSCF6109_slimmed.jpg

Same when I did the green colour scheme in the breakfast room, had a print made of a photo of a Japanese maple in the garden.
DSCF6429%5B1%5D.jpg

I'll tell you a secret, no one has noticed yet, not even DH.
When I did that photo of Loch Ness above the bed I had to stretch the image to get the width of print I wanted to go above the bed, consequence is if you look out of the window across the Loch at the hills opposite they're actually a lot higher than they are in that print.
embaressed_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

So, love the idea. Figure out with the artist how theft or damage will be handed. Because some people can't be around nice things..
Morticia said:
So, love the idea. Figure out with the artist how theft or damage will be handed. Because some people can't be around nice things.
Famous last words ... but I never had a problem with any damage or theft of the art. Thank goodness. I guess if something had been taken, I'd file an insurance claim.
I heard two women talking once ... they'd taken 'art' off the walls in a motel. You know the kind ... prints in cheap frames. From their room and the hallway. Plus pillows and towels, sheets, a lamp, a coffee maker and carafe from the room. So ridiculous --- why not take the mattress, too? I wondered if they were paid a visit by the police department.
weirdly that's the only thing we have ever had stolen in about 15 years - 2 really crappy prints worth about $4 -

Before we built, we had the local plein air painting group out for the day (and a free lunch) on several occasions. While under construction I wondered how we would cover the walls ... open as a local gallery! In 8 years, we've sold over 40 works, usually not pieces over $800. We have the sale go as a check directly to the artist (so as to keep it separate from business and our Schedule C); if a guest can only pay by cc, we rebate minus 5% for bank and handling.
Guests have responded very positively to the concept and we have lots of great, free art in the meantime. Total risk for insurance is not too big, covered by master policy. Never had theft. Artists offer works, but we get to pick what we show: landscapes, still life, no figurative work. Most is fairly impressionist. DW started taking up watercolor, so there is a creeping trend in the works displayed.

Back