Guests of guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
This was just a topic on the PAII forum and I wanted to share an experience...guests this weekend brought their friends back to the inn (essentially, they walked her home as it was dark), all of the other guests had used points at a chain hotel (that was charging $350/night) and they were very disappointed when they saw what they could have had for less than half the price, breakfast included! (Good one!)
Not so good one...a single who is here for a week had her husband drop her off last night. He stayed over last night, was supposed to eat with her but skipped breakfast. Just now I heard the door open and he's back. He is NOT a registered guests and I'm a bit peeved he's just using this as his 'hangout' for the day. He must have her keys to get into the room so now I don't know if he's staying the whole week or what.

Alibi Ike said:
Not so good one...a single who is here for a week had her husband drop her off last night. He stayed over last night, was supposed to eat with her but skipped breakfast. Just now I heard the door open and he's back. He is NOT a registered guests and I'm a bit peeved he's just using this as his 'hangout' for the day. He must have her keys to get into the room so now I don't know if he's staying the whole week or what.
Did you give her a single rate? If not, I wouldn't care if he came. If you did, then tell her you need to charge the full price even though he's not eating breakfast, because breakfast is complimentary.

Alibi Ike said:
Did you give her a single rate? If not, I wouldn't care if he came. If you did, then tell her you need to charge the full price even though he's not eating breakfast, because breakfast is complimentary..
Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
Did you give her a single rate? If not, I wouldn't care if he came. If you did, then tell her you need to charge the full price even though he's not eating breakfast, because breakfast is complimentary.
No, she's paying full price. My problem is I was not expecting anyone to be in the house all day so imagine my surprise when someone is here. We had already cleaned the room & turned off the A/C. He is gone now but left the A/C on again. Will he be back? Eat brekkie? Should I go and turn the A/C back off as she is not due back until late or leave it on because he has only gone out for lunch?

Alibi Ike said:
Did you give her a single rate? If not, I wouldn't care if he came. If you did, then tell her you need to charge the full price even though he's not eating breakfast, because breakfast is complimentary..
Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
No, she's paying full price. My problem is I was not expecting anyone to be in the house all day so imagine my surprise when someone is here. We had already cleaned the room & turned off the A/C. He is gone now but left the A/C on again. Will he be back? Eat brekkie? Should I go and turn the A/C back off as she is not due back until late or leave it on because he has only gone out for lunch?
I think this is when you say, "Your original reservation was for one person. Did your plans change?"
Once you ask her a question- she'll answer it. Hopefully. But put the onus on HER.
Don't assume. Don't THINK you know what's going on (you might be wrong). Just ask her. Flat out. And let her tell you.

Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
I think this is when you say, "Your original reservation was for one person. Did your plans change?"
Once you ask her a question- she'll answer it. Hopefully. But put the onus on HER.
Don't assume. Don't THINK you know what's going on (you might be wrong). Just ask her. Flat out. And let her tell you.
I agree. Ask the guest what's up so you know what to expect. It's annoying not knowing what's going on and it's a whole different feeling when there's someone in the house. Especially when you didn't expect it!

Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
Will do, once I see her. Or him. For now all I see is the car. But no one is here.

I agree, simply ask. It will clear your mind instead of it stewing until it comes to a boil!
After reading this (wondering why they rented a room for her when he too is in town) it hit me I had a similar situation once with a local couple. They were doing a renovation and the wife could not be around the dust etc. I gave her a cut rate mid week just for her. Trouble was he came over and took baths and spent the evening with her.
I did not address it as I should have because it made me feel used. They left me a very nice tip and a note of thanks for letting him clean up, but I had wasted the week being mad because I didn't address it upfront.

It worked out that she's by herself, he's gone. But again today there is a completely different car out there that probably belongs to her.

Back