guests & their little quirks...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyMae

Reaction score
received an online reservation from a man last night, for this weekend. the room they requested had just been reserved via telephone about an hour before. i had not done the update yet.
i emailed to tell him and to also tell him that our suite across the hall is much larger, larger bath, same view, etc. and to please let me know if they would still like to proceed with the reservation.
he called me this a.m to tell me that he discussed it with his girlfriend & she reluctantly agreed to take the other room instead. the reason for her reluctance? she is a decorator who does not like pastel colors. the bed has a pink coverlet on it. he said she was requesting that, if possible, different bedding,of a darker color, be put on before her arrival. the poeple staying in the room they originally wanted are only here for 1 night but no way am i offering to move them over & cause myself extra work!
oh great! i can't wait until lil' miss spoiled gets here on Valentine's Day! do you ever just want to say " Oh for crying out loud people. it's just a blanket!"

The worst part about that is it is quite possible you have changed quilts/coverlets as we cannot take a new photo every week for the website! HA HA!
I have had only one guest comment on that to me to which I said "The other one is being laundered" which is was, then being put on the sofa bed afterward, not the main bed!

The worst part about that is it is quite possible you have changed quilts/coverlets as we cannot take a new photo every week for the website! HA HA!
I have had only one guest comment on that to me to which I said "The other one is being laundered" which is was, then being put on the sofa bed afterward, not the main bed!.
actually, that is true, there is a different quilt on it at the moment. it still has pastels because it still has to coordinate with the room. it is slightly darker than the one in the room's photo.
i know i have my little things that i'm sure people find bothersome, but i just can't imagine basing your entire stay at a place on, of all things, the color of a blanket?
i don't know....

Absolutely have had just that scenario. Woman sniffing her way around telling us how she wouldn't stay in a blue room, a green room, a pink room, yadda yadda. I seriously had to say, 'Your room is none of those colors, what is the problem?'
The problem was, she didn't want to stay period. As soon as she knew we would be charging her for walking out on her reservation, she was fine with her room. Yeesh.
I sympathize...

But, is it possible to switch the other coverlet in the other room with the one she doesn't want? Probably not, then the OTHER guest will be complaining!

I have had only one guest comment on that to me to which I said "The other one is being laundered" which is was, then being put on the sofa bed afterward, not the main bed!.
actually, that is true, there is a different quilt on it at the moment. it still has pastels because it still has to coordinate with the room. it is slightly darker than the one in the room's photo.
i know i have my little things that i'm sure people find bothersome, but i just can't imagine basing your entire stay at a place on, of all things, the color of a blanket?
i don't know....
mollysmom said:
i don't know....
I will play devil's advocate here - if you put room photos on your website, people WILL pick the room based on a few things, like the colors/decor. Isn't that their prerogative? I mean, that is how I pick a room (unless they have a floorplan and I can pick it via location at the inn).
There are a few things that turn me off a room and I won't say what they are because I don't want to offend anyone if they have that in their room. But definite NO NO's to me whether I book a room - and I AM NOT PICKY AT ALL.

I pick the rooms according to the color scheme.....for example, I LOVE blue toile! We picked a room BECAUSE of it and when we checked in they had given that room to another guest who was going to stay 1 more night than us, we were staying 2 and they were staying 3, I was very dissapointed!!! But then, I would never think to email/call you and ask you to change the bedding for me either
whattha.gif

I pick the rooms according to the color scheme.....for example, I LOVE blue toile! We picked a room BECAUSE of it and when we checked in they had given that room to another guest who was going to stay 1 more night than us, we were staying 2 and they were staying 3, I was very dissapointed!!! But then, I would never think to email/call you and ask you to change the bedding for me either
whattha.gif
To me, half the fun of staying in a b&b is picking my dream room! I really look at the pictures on the website and enjoy being able to make a choice.

Once I had a caller who was booking and said any room but the room with the wild wallpaper. What!
whattha.gif
Well the 'wild' wallpaper was just on one wall and really not wild at all, in fact we get a lot of compliments on it here. Made me think - how many others were 'turned off by the 'wild paper'. Well I solved that problem, now my pictures are at a different angle and do not show that wall at all. As we all know, pictures speak a 1000 words but - what are those words!
Oh, and that woman did peak into the room and said well that is really nice paper, I would have been very comfortable in there. Duh!

i don't know....
mollysmom said:
i don't know....
I will play devil's advocate here - if you put room photos on your website, people WILL pick the room based on a few things, like the colors/decor. Isn't that their prerogative? I mean, that is how I pick a room (unless they have a floorplan and I can pick it via location at the inn).
There are a few things that turn me off a room and I won't say what they are because I don't want to offend anyone if they have that in their room. But definite NO NO's to me whether I book a room - and I AM NOT PICKY AT ALL.
when we stay somewhere i usually pick the room that i was drawn to first but if the one i want is not available i would not ask the hosts to change the color of the bedding.

People are weird. There are people who have reactions to certain colors. As explained it was a dislike, not a reaction. Turn it inside out or triple sheet for that one guest. :)

I have had a few customers with the same requests. One guest I remember called ahead of time to tell me that I need to take that blue plaid comforter off the bed and all the pillows that match it. She said she can't stand plaid and it makes her feel like she is in a man's dorm room. So I took it off and just put a solid colored blanket on the bed.

Back