GutsyGuest | Confidential Innkeeper venting, discussions, and more.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but there are already plenty of places for innkeepers to vent...like here. Why would we want to go anywhere else??

Peter, I am not sure you have cottoned on to this forum very well, there are certainly not people here sharing specifics about guests and including their B&B name.
75% on this forum do not share their B&B name at all. Do we need a place to divulge guest names and serial numbers? Of course not. Further more we would never do so, even under the cover of darkness! The stories we tell are antectdotal, something funny, bizarre, etc. It is not to "rat out" our guests. 99% of our guests are outstanding!!
For anyone to give YOU privvy information from our businesses or personal info is a joke. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE ARE SCOFFING YOUR POST HERE. Not because anyone is hostile. That is actually very funny. You arrive and say here is a forum to join to complain about guests, but you must first give us personal information about a) you, or b) your business. Then call us hostile. Good one! WAY TO GO WEB DESIGNER or whatever you call yourself to validate your "New" forum.

Peter, I am not sure you have cottoned on to this forum very well, there are certainly not people here sharing specifics about guests and including their B&B name.
75% on this forum do not share their B&B name at all. Do we need a place to divulge guest names and serial numbers? Of course not. Further more we would never do so, even under the cover of darkness! The stories we tell are antectdotal, something funny, bizarre, etc. It is not to "rat out" our guests. 99% of our guests are outstanding!!
For anyone to give YOU privvy information from our businesses or personal info is a joke. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE ARE SCOFFING YOUR POST HERE. Not because anyone is hostile. That is actually very funny. You arrive and say here is a forum to join to complain about guests, but you must first give us personal information about a) you, or b) your business. Then call us hostile. Good one! WAY TO GO WEB DESIGNER or whatever you call yourself to validate your "New" forum..
Joey Bloggs said:
For anyone to give YOU privvy information from our businesses or personal info is a joke. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE ARE SCOFFING YOUR POST HERE. Not because anyone is hostile. That is actually very funny. You arrive and say here is a forum to join to complain about guests, but you must first give us personal information about a) you, or b) your business. Then call us hostile. Good one! WAY TO GO WEB DESIGNER or whatever you call yourself to validate your "New" forum.
All new posts on InnVex are edited to make sure that the names of guests and businesses are anonymous.
Why doesn't anyone see my point on why I need to validate new applicants before approving them? It'd be bad if "Johnny" from your Bed and Breakfast joined the website to see if there were any stories that could be about him, even though the posts are edited to remove names and members are given generic usernames, he could still recognize a story.
In a nutshell.
Guest names are not allowed on InnVex.
VALIDATED INNKEEPERS are given generic usernames (member129).
B&B names are not permitted.
EACH POST IS MODERATED BEFORE IT GOES LIVE TO MAKE SURE THAT NO ONE IS RELEASING NAMES OR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
What's so hard to grasp there?

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Previously, to verify your account you only need to complete one of the methods, either A or B. Now all you have to do is verify ownership of your website.
What are some other ways that I could maintain an absolute Innkeeper's only website?
The name (GutsyGuest) was meant to create an atmosphere where Innkeepers can talk about guests however they want and not have to worry about the general public posts.
For example, I'm not an Innkeeper and I can view all the rantings and ravings in this forum and it might turn me off to your B & B if I was shopping around for a place to stay. The reason why InnVex has strict verification guidelines is to ensure your privacy.
I got the idea from an Innkeeper friend of mine who was having a particularly hard day. She was telling me how nice it would be if there was a place where she could vent about the guests and not worry about it being plastered all over and harm her business.
I'm sorry if I did anything to offend anyone. I am feeling a general hostility from this forum so far and I don't know what I did.
Also, to address the domain name and website name question...
- .co.be is a free domain name registrar. InnVex is in a beta stage and will not be purchasing a .com domain name unless the website reaches a certain amount of members.
I really hope everyone can take a look at the website from a new perspective and actually give it a chance.
I'm not some spammer or scammer that is looking to cash in on your business, I'm an experienced website developer from Minnesota. I've worked on 21 websites (http://thirdie.com, http://merhost.com, http://northwood.k12.wi.us, http://thatimg.com, and more) and I've been in the business for over 3 years now.
Thanks for reading.
- Peter Merrill.
Just tell your innkeeper friend to go join CAIK and PAII and they will have two places that guarantee privacy for the business only. No need to jump through your hoops. Takes no time at all to join both.
RIki

Sorry but there are already plenty of places for innkeepers to vent...like here. Why would we want to go anywhere else??.
catlady said:
Sorry but there are already plenty of places for innkeepers to vent...like here. Why would we want to go anywhere else??
InnVex is anonymous.

Sorry but there are already plenty of places for innkeepers to vent...like here. Why would we want to go anywhere else??.
catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.

catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.
InnVex said:
catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.
We want to know each other when we talk. CAIK and PAII are closed to the outside world and that is anonymous enough.
RIki

catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.
InnVex said:
catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.
We want to know each other when we talk. CAIK and PAII are closed to the outside world and that is anonymous enough.
RIki
egoodell said:
InnVex said:
catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.
RIki
How do you know that your guests aren't members and are reading your posts on here and there? Is everyone verified?

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Previously, to verify your account you only need to complete one of the methods, either A or B. Now all you have to do is verify ownership of your website.
What are some other ways that I could maintain an absolute Innkeeper's only website?
The name (GutsyGuest) was meant to create an atmosphere where Innkeepers can talk about guests however they want and not have to worry about the general public posts.
For example, I'm not an Innkeeper and I can view all the rantings and ravings in this forum and it might turn me off to your B & B if I was shopping around for a place to stay. The reason why InnVex has strict verification guidelines is to ensure your privacy.
I got the idea from an Innkeeper friend of mine who was having a particularly hard day. She was telling me how nice it would be if there was a place where she could vent about the guests and not worry about it being plastered all over and harm her business.
I'm sorry if I did anything to offend anyone. I am feeling a general hostility from this forum so far and I don't know what I did.
- .co.be is a free domain name registrar. InnVex is in a beta stage and will not be purchasing a .com domain name unless the website reaches a certain amount of members.
I really hope everyone can take a look at the website from a new perspective and actually give it a chance.
I'm not some spammer or scammer that is looking to cash in on your business, I'm an experienced website developer from Minnesota. I've worked on 21 websites (http://thirdie.com, http://merhost.com, http://northwood.k12.wi.us, http://thatimg.com, and more) and I've been in the business for over 3 years now.
Thanks for reading.
- Peter Merrill.
InnVex said:
Thanks for reading.
- Peter Merrill
There are plenty of places for an innkeeper to kvetch if needed - in private to only innkeepers. They are called private forums - members only. All your innkeeper friend would have to do is join PAII and there would have been a place. If innkeepers are looking for a FREE place to snarl, vent, etc all they have to do is pick up the phone and call a friend or go to the computer and type an e-mail to a friend. On a particularly vile day that is what I do and what my friend does. I certainly do not want to go to a site that all I am going to find is kvetching - that is why this is where we come. We get it all and in a usefull way. Hate to prick your balloon, but you are wasting your valuable time - of course that is just my opinion.
gillumhouse said:
There are plenty of places for an innkeeper to kvetch if needed - in private to only innkeepers. They are called private forums - members only. All your innkeeper friend would have to do is join PAII and there would have been a place. If innkeepers are looking for a FREE place to snarl, vent, etc all they have to do is pick up the phone and call a friend or go to the computer and type an e-mail to a friend. On a particularly vile day that is what I do and what my friend does. I certainly do not want to go to a site that all I am going to find is kvetching - that is why this is where we come. We get it all and in a usefull way. Hate to prick your balloon, but you are wasting your valuable time - of course that is just my opinion.
1) InnVex has a private forum for Innkeepers only.
2) Where you against PAII when it was started?
3) InnVex is "FREE" and only accepts free-will donations.
4) It's not all "kvetching" there are areas to socialize.
5) Apparently I am wasting my time here. All I wanted to do is provide Innkeepers with a resource to let a little steam out. I know it's tough sometimes. IT MIGHT NOT HURT TO VENT A LITTLE. Maybe that would cure you're close mindedness.

For anyone to give YOU privvy information from our businesses or personal info is a joke. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE ARE SCOFFING YOUR POST HERE. Not because anyone is hostile. That is actually very funny. You arrive and say here is a forum to join to complain about guests, but you must first give us personal information about a) you, or b) your business. Then call us hostile. Good one! WAY TO GO WEB DESIGNER or whatever you call yourself to validate your "New" forum..
Joey Bloggs said:
All new posts on InnVex are edited to make sure that the names of guests and businesses are anonymous.
Why doesn't anyone see my point on why I need to validate new applicants before approving them? It'd be bad if "Johnny" from your Bed and Breakfast joined the website to see if there were any stories that could be about him, even though the posts are edited to remove names and members are given generic usernames, he could still recognize a story.
In a nutshell.
EACH POST IS MODERATED BEFORE IT GOES LIVE TO MAKE SURE THAT NO ONE IS RELEASING NAMES OR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
InnVex said:
Joey Bloggs said:
In a nutshell.
EXACTLY! That is what I am saying. What is so hard to grasp, we do the same here. Except we choose our usernames, we share what we want to share.

Thanks for reading.
- Peter Merrill.
InnVex said:
Thanks for reading.
- Peter Merrill
gillumhouse said:
5) Apparently I am wasting my time here. All I wanted to do is provide Innkeepers with a resource to let a little steam out. I know it's tough sometimes. IT MIGHT NOT HURT TO VENT A LITTLE. Maybe that would cure you're close mindedness.
InnVex said:
gillumhouse said:
Ya see Buddy on this forum there are also moderators, calling people names is a NO NO.

Thanks for reading.
- Peter Merrill.
InnVex said:
Thanks for reading.
- Peter Merrill
gillumhouse said:
InnVex said:
gillumhouse said:
4) Apparently I am wasting my time here. All I wanted to do is provide Innkeepers with a resource to let a little steam out. I know it's tough sometimes. IT MIGHT NOT HURT TO VENT A LITTLE. Maybe that would cure you're close mindedness.
And we are telling you we have CAIK and PAII which allows us to do so. We vent all the time on both sites. Why re-invent the wheel is all we are saying. Plus you came on with the comment, "Some of you may have heard of the new website for Innkeeper's called Gutsy Gust"
We know it's new and of course none of us have heard of it since there are not even any members.
This kind of first comment on the board makes us think you are just another saleman coming on our forum to sell us something. You have to realize it happens all the time.
Plus your spelling needs some polishing. (Maybe that would cure your close-mindedness)
RIki

catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.
InnVex said:
catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.
RIki
egoodell said:
InnVex said:
catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.
RIki
How do you know that your guests aren't members and are reading your posts on here and there? Is everyone verified?
InnVex said:
egoodell said:
InnVex said:
catlady said:
InnVex is anonymous.
RIki
Yes everyone is verified on both PAII and CAIK.

All of this proves my point...if you're not an innkeeper I completely FAIL TO SEE why any of this would be interesting. If you wanna know what it's all about, man up (or woman up) and start running an Inn...I'm talking to all you voyeurs out there!!!

All of this proves my point...if you're not an innkeeper I completely FAIL TO SEE why any of this would be interesting. If you wanna know what it's all about, man up (or woman up) and start running an Inn...I'm talking to all you voyeurs out there!!!.
Don Draper said:
. . . If you wanna know what it's all about, man up (or woman up) and start running an Inn...I'm talking to all you voyeurs out there!!!
Wow.

Why do new people trying to promote something that is not well thought out and brand new, always choose to land here with a bellyflop instead of easing into the pool gently. Lashing out and calling people closed minded is kind of like blaming everyone else at the pool because your stomach hurts from the smack into the water.
Peter, you've made your pitch, and gotten some pretty good feedback. Time to back off a bit from ramming this new hot site down our throat.

Joey Bloggs said:
In a nutshell.
InnVex said:
In a nutshell.
Did you completely change the name of the website since yesterday? Wasn't it 'gutsyguest' yesterday? What's going on here? You want my driver's license info, my innkeeping license and you want me to add code to my website and now the website isn't even the same from day to day. This screams 'scam' so loudly I'm surprised anyone signs up. What about all the people you had signed up on gutsyguest, how do they find the website now?
What's so hard to grasp, btw, is that we self-police here. If someone posts a name of a guest we make sure they remove it pronto. If someone wants to post a guest story AND give the name of their B&B at the same time, that's their call. If a guest finds a story about themselves on here I'm sure they'll be getting in touch with the B&B to sort it out.
Have you noticed how many posts go on here everyday? We are close to 100,000 posts in a couple of years. You got enough people to moderate that so it's not days later that any posts get put up? This is a real-time forum with discussions that can't wait days for a moderator.
I think you'll find a more 'open-minded' group of innkeepers on the about.com B&B forum. You might also want to try signing up for PAII and talking to the innkeepers on that forum. It's obvious you've hit a brick wall over here.

All of this proves my point...if you're not an innkeeper I completely FAIL TO SEE why any of this would be interesting. If you wanna know what it's all about, man up (or woman up) and start running an Inn...I'm talking to all you voyeurs out there!!!.
Don Draper said:
. . . If you wanna know what it's all about, man up (or woman up) and start running an Inn...I'm talking to all you voyeurs out there!!!
Wow.
I'm sorry, but it bugs me to death that people think this is entertainment. This is our LIFE (or lack thereof for those of us in the busy season), if we need to vent it's because we NEED TO VENT or we're gonna blow. It's not a joke to me.

Peter,
I hope you appreciate the free education the forum has given on how not to approach a niche market.
Skipping the personalities evident here, you apparently were not aware of who out there already met the niche need you we trying to serve. We already have sliced bread, so don't invent a new slicer.
And, in general, you misestimated the privacy concerns. This will be true of everybody you meet online, but B&B folk are very sensitive to it as we are targeted by scam artist almost daily. A web address with an offshore country code top-level domain is suspicious and raises concerns about what law may apply to the site owner/operator as to libel, etc. A domain registered to a mystery "innvexco" seems creepy. Putting your own cookies on a user computer (as opposed to letting the browser manage) smacks of adware or malware. Again, real privacy issues.
Asking anyone for an image of any legal identity document such as a driver's license in today's internet climate is ... <filter processing> ... <filter processing> ... naive.
In your reg agreement you already disclaim "Any information you provide on these forums will not be disclosed to any third party without your complete consent, although the staff cannot be held liable for any hacking attempt in which your data is compromised." You should add, "except as required by law" as a civil suit from a disgruntled guest would logically generate a subpoena and you would be obliged to comply.
Interesting that the forum treated you as a sincere if misguided entrepreneur, not just a scammer.
Good luck.

Back