Having a bit of a rant!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcam

Reaction score
Getting absolutely sick to death of hearing the same thing over and over again and same questions and statements its wearing a bit thin!
(1) you can't possibly have any holiday - why ask when you have just answered your own question? plus would you ask the girl at the supermarket check out?
Plus we have taken on a 2nd bed and breakfast next door and I am trying to advertise it to my currant guests but am getting the same questions over and over - suggestions for good answers please
(1) gosh that's a big project - yes we know we have done it all here already while running a successful business, doing it there in one go while its vacant and empty is easier
(2) are you going to knock through - of course not! loose 2 ground floor double rooms at £20,000 turnover each! that would be a ruddy expensive hole in the wall! plus loose VAT and have to spend £6000 on redoing the fire alarms into one!
(3) are you sure you know what you are doing? - well its a bit late now if not - plus weve spent 2 years planning this so lets hope so!
(4) are you full? - its a saturday night - lets ruddy hope so! what do people think we are playing at? PLus massive NO VACANCY sign

What would we do for a laugh without the questions?
I don't mind trying to help folks find a room when the area is busy, but when you tell them they may find the only room in town by turning left and they turn right, or those looking for a cheap room and a swimming pool on a day when no rooms at all in the area, sort of hard to be of help. The fun ones are those that get you out of bed in the wee hours of morning to question the no rooms sign like you had a couple tucked away for them.

Repeat after me - wonderful suggestion, we'll look into it (2); it keeps us young (1); life's an adventure, we have to keep trying new things (3); I don't know how that happened! (4)
#4 bothers me, too. Like the person calling at 2pm is the only person who would ever come to town and they expected to be able to dicker on the price because who else would come here?
Had a guy call earlier looking for a getaway. Called during breakfast so I had to call back. Told him my prices and he said, "wow, that's a hell of a lot less than the joint next door! I'll look at my calendar and call you back."

Repeat after me - wonderful suggestion, we'll look into it (2); it keeps us young (1); life's an adventure, we have to keep trying new things (3); I don't know how that happened! (4)
#4 bothers me, too. Like the person calling at 2pm is the only person who would ever come to town and they expected to be able to dicker on the price because who else would come here?
Had a guy call earlier looking for a getaway. Called during breakfast so I had to call back. Told him my prices and he said, "wow, that's a hell of a lot less than the joint next door! I'll look at my calendar and call you back.".
we get this
"do you have a room for 25th Jan?
Sorry we are full as there is a very busy event on you might try X place"
But I just want a single
Sorry full means full, not that I have a secret single room which I don't let but will let you have because you asked.

Makes a change from "when's the best time to see the monster", haven't had that one in at least a week.

Had a guy call earlier looking for a getaway. Called during breakfast so I had to call back. Told him my prices and he said, "wow, that's a hell of a lot less than the joint next door! I'll look at my calendar and call you back.".
we get this
But I just want a single
Sorry full means full, not that I have a secret single room which I don't let but will let you have because you asked.
"sorry we're full".........
oh, how much are your rooms? how far are you from x? Can we get a boat trip from near you?..........................................what's the point, we're full, go away.

Makes a change from "when's the best time to see the monster", haven't had that one in at least a week..
Highlands John said:
Makes a change from "when's the best time to see the monster", haven't had that one in at least a week.
What day do the leaves change color? Will it snow while we're there?

we get this
But I just want a single
oh, how much are your rooms? how far are you from x? Can we get a boat trip from near you?..........................................what's the point, we're full, go away.
Those can be annoying when you're busy, but I do try to answer them, both for good will to promote our general area and as a sales pitch for a future visit. Every property is different, for us I hope we are a nice place and a good value for our area, a potential guest my alter trip plans to a time when I do have rooms or maybe he/she will call early for next year.

we get this
But I just want a single
I get that - sorry we are full - but how much is a room? my answer is it depends on how long you want to stay and when, feel free to look at the web site any time for free live online booking 24/7

Makes a change from "when's the best time to see the monster", haven't had that one in at least a week..
Highlands John said:
Maybe I shouldn't be so cynical given that said monster is probably the linch-pin of our success.

Highlands John said:
Maybe I shouldn't be so cynical given that said monster is probably the linch-pin of our success.
Highlands John said:
thumbs_up.gif

Highlands John said:
It comes out at dusk and skirts around the edge of the lake where the trees are!…. Oh sorry, wrong monster, wrong country!

you could make something up to entertain yourself - "well when I have seen it ETC
But DH thinks X time is the best and so on

Latest posts

Back