Hello, I'm new.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happykeeper - Got it! (note to self: Stalk EmptyNest posts!) lol
Madeleine, I get a ton of calls from people wanting to talk to me about my (nonexistent) merchant acct. really pushy types...I'm guessing these are from some of those awful processors! One was even pushing to come by the house, because it was easier to explain it in person than to understand it if they mailed the info to me... I acted very offended that she thought I couldn't read... and she finally gave up! Meantime, I was thinking I'd start with Paypal... which reminds me I need to search for posts on that too!
As for bookings -- I inherited Webervations, which I note many of you have dropped... and the way it is set up on my site...well, it seems rather useless to me... actually googling about its worth is how I found this site, I think.
Quick question: are RezKey and Reservation Key (both mentioned above) the same program or two different programs?.
PayPal? The problem with that is you still look less than professional. IMO. It's great for online retail sales but less so for in person reservations.
If you have a smartphone or tablet really think about square or the newer versions of it. It's fast and easy and guests have probably seen it in use.
Yes, the callers are very pushy!

Madeleine, I get a ton of calls from people wanting to talk to me about my (nonexistent) merchant acct. really pushy types...I'm guessing these are from some of those awful processors! One was even pushing to come by the house, because it was easier to explain it in person than to understand it if they mailed the info to me... I acted very offended that she thought I couldn't read... and she finally gave up! Meantime, I was thinking I'd start with Paypal... which reminds me I need to search for posts on that too!
As for bookings -- I inherited Webervations, which I note many of you have dropped... and the way it is set up on my site...well, it seems rather useless to me... actually googling about its worth is how I found this site, I think.
Quick question: are RezKey and Reservation Key (both mentioned above) the same program or two different programs?.
2ndLife said:
Quick question: are RezKey and Reservation Key (both mentioned above) the same program or two different programs?
Yes. We use a bit of shorthand here.

Thanks all!
Madeline your point is well taken.... On the business end of things, this place is still back in 1975! Working on taking credit cards for the first time ever - but i don't have enough facility with the current site (all html code) to bring real time booking to the site....heck I can't even change a picture! So a new site is job one i think. Gulp!.
2ndLife said:
Thanks all!
Madeline your point is well taken.... On the business end of things, this place is still back in 1975! Working on taking credit cards for the first time ever - but i don't have enough facility with the current site (all html code) to bring real time booking to the site....heck I can't even change a picture! So a new site is job one i think. Gulp!
We simply went to our bank who set us up with an account and a card machine.
And welcome.

Thanks all!
Madeline your point is well taken.... On the business end of things, this place is still back in 1975! Working on taking credit cards for the first time ever - but i don't have enough facility with the current site (all html code) to bring real time booking to the site....heck I can't even change a picture! So a new site is job one i think. Gulp!.
Welcome to the forum! So glad to have you and yes, you will find loads of information and very helpful (and opinionated!) folks here :)

My take on credit card processing - please don't start with PayPal. It is unprofessional, and will charge you more than a normal processor would. Some prospective guests may even shy away from booking. I use Tom Weiskotten, who is a go between for me and the actual processor. He is fabulous, very responsive, extremely fair, and easy to talk to. You'll never have to talk directly to the processor (which is VERY frustrating!), and your equipment is free - with NO contract! If your equipment needs upgrading - NO fee. Just Google him for contact info. A lot here use Square, which I understand is easy and reasonably priced. I have no opinion on that, because I love Tom!

I use Reservation Key and LOVE it! It can be a little overwhelming, setting it up, but John (and us!) will be right there with you the whole way.

I didn't spend much time on your website, but you can make a nice one yourself to start with, if you are wanting to change things up. I used Weebly and Empty Nest was a great help to me. Just be sure your pictures are professional or of a high quality - that is so important!

Ah I meant Paypal Here (connects to ipad, phone) - like square. Amazon is rolling one out too. Still looking into what to do on site for deposits...
Guys, just want to say this is great! I've been overwhelmed and dreading this particular task over for a while now - the kind of dreading where you just keep putting it off. Gee, it's nice to have a resource to go to, people to ask questions... Still a huge task, but doesn't seem as insurmountable. So thanks again for the welcome and the help. Now -- Off to stalk EmptyNest posts! :)

Welcome. Stalk away :).
EmptyNest said:
Welcome. Stalk away :)
stalk.jpg

Use a device (ipad/iphone or android) with reader, don't use anything hooked up to a phone line and old school. Step right into what is being used now from those 1970's and have fun. It is overwhelming, but you have arrived at the right place.
Don't go to the bank
Don't call a vendor
ask here and you will receive invaluable advice

Use a device (ipad/iphone or android) with reader, don't use anything hooked up to a phone line and old school. Step right into what is being used now from those 1970's and have fun. It is overwhelming, but you have arrived at the right place.
Don't go to the bank
Don't call a vendor
ask here and you will receive invaluable advice.
I am looking seriously at getting out of the 70's and I thinking maybe Amazon may be the way to go, since we already have a prime membership and use them often enough. I thought someone gave it a thumbs up a while back. Anyone been using them?

And welcome from another new student. All the valuable information you can get here is better than all the books you could read. My only regret is that I didn't find out about this site BEFORE we opened. I feel like I'm starting over again with a few things, but I'm glad to have all this experience at my disposal. I'm sure you will too.

Welcome to your new home away from home!
Re: Pushy credit card processors - if you don't mind lying, I've got a line for you. Tell them that you are required to have your processing through your bank because you got your business loan from them. Shuts them right up. That's the situation we are in and they understand that this happens often. Then tell them to take you off their calling list - if you specifically ask them this, they are required (as far as I know) to remove you. If they call you again, it's considered harassment. Also, if you get a recorded message, stick it out til the end and they will give you a final -out- such as, "Hit 9 to be removed from our database".

Latest posts

Back