Hiring - what are your criteria?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I don't want: a multitasker who never shuts up. That's not multitasking, that's ADHD.
You may not know this but I don't make small talk. I don't want to know about your sick uncle and your son's pregnant girlfriend.
All this means to me is you have family problems and you'll be jumping from task to task and nothing will be done properly.
So, yeah, I guess i DO want to know these things but you just talked yourself out of a job because I don't want to listen to this everyday.

we are lucky at the moment as an old friend of DH's is off work at the moment long term sick with depression (don't meant that that is lucky sounds awful in that way) but she is very good with people and loves to clean - so if our chamber maid wants the day off they allow her to come and volunteer here so many hours and it gets her out of the house - everybody wins.

we are lucky at the moment as an old friend of DH's is off work at the moment long term sick with depression (don't meant that that is lucky sounds awful in that way) but she is very good with people and loves to clean - so if our chamber maid wants the day off they allow her to come and volunteer here so many hours and it gets her out of the house - everybody wins..
That makes me think...Maddie..is there a "workshop" in your area for developmentally disabled? Many function at higher levels, and once given directions might make a great cleaning person. They would love to have a job to call their own.
Usually a trainer accompanies them, so they would be the ones watching over. It might be something to investigate.

What I don't want: a multitasker who never shuts up. That's not multitasking, that's ADHD.
You may not know this but I don't make small talk. I don't want to know about your sick uncle and your son's pregnant girlfriend.
All this means to me is you have family problems and you'll be jumping from task to task and nothing will be done properly.
So, yeah, I guess i DO want to know these things but you just talked yourself out of a job because I don't want to listen to this everyday..
thumbs_up.gif

Best one yet can only work on the days we designated as the days off. So, ok, can't read. But very personable, go getter kind of person.

we are lucky at the moment as an old friend of DH's is off work at the moment long term sick with depression (don't meant that that is lucky sounds awful in that way) but she is very good with people and loves to clean - so if our chamber maid wants the day off they allow her to come and volunteer here so many hours and it gets her out of the house - everybody wins..
That makes me think...Maddie..is there a "workshop" in your area for developmentally disabled? Many function at higher levels, and once given directions might make a great cleaning person. They would love to have a job to call their own.
Usually a trainer accompanies them, so they would be the ones watching over. It might be something to investigate.
thats true - i know a lady online who uses a special agency which finds jobs for hearing impared people - she says the agency is excellent (unfortunately London UK based)

So, yeah, I guess i DO want to know these things but you just talked yourself out of a job because I don't want to listen to this everyday..
AMEN!

We have an employee! She starts on Monday. Fingers crossed.
Only summer. But if I can get thru August I'm ok.

Only summer. But if I can get thru August I'm ok..
Madeleine said:
and if she shows up and doesn't do a great job, keep her anyway. Let her do the grunt and you can go behind...I know that is crazy, but you gotta let those things slide, there is no way she will do a perfect job.
Showing up is half the battle! Congrats.

Agree about keeping her even if she isn't doing exactly what you want. I've had to lower my standards and get the grunt work done and then go back and make sure it's guest ready. Hubby and I hate this but would rather do the touchup stuff and save our backs than do it all. GOOD LUCK!!!

Madeleine said:
and if she shows up and doesn't do a great job, keep her anyway. Let her do the grunt and you can go behind...I know that is crazy, but you gotta let those things slide, there is no way she will do a perfect job.
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
You know this is my bugaboo. Dh implores me every year to not upset the help by demanding they do their job correctly. I hate checking work that should be done properly by someone else.
But I know everyone goes around after the help to clean up what they missed.
Unfortunately, that leaves footprints on the carpet and there is no way I am re vacuuming the rooms.

Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
You know this is my bugaboo. Dh implores me every year to not upset the help by demanding they do their job correctly. I hate checking work that should be done properly by someone else.
Unfortunately, that leaves footprints on the carpet and there is no way I am re vacuuming the rooms.
Get a Shark for $100 to go over your footprints. Easier and cheaper than doing the grunt work. A Shark is a (to describe it) battery operated Bissel carpet sweeper. That sucker gets crumbs up off the dining room carpet here and is light enough that DH can use it.

Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
If you are worried about footprints, then you won't be able to handle any help (paid help I mean). It is a lot worse than that you get to fix. I am happy to have someone haul everything up the stairs and make the beds (improperly). It is what it is. I have to let stuff go, I cannot make the rooms perfect, there is not enough time in the day.

Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
If you are worried about footprints, then you won't be able to handle any help (paid help I mean). It is a lot worse than that you get to fix. I am happy to have someone haul everything up the stairs and make the beds (improperly). It is what it is. I have to let stuff go, I cannot make the rooms perfect, there is not enough time in the day.
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
It's the first impression... My room wasn't vacuumed, I see footprints. I am really good now tho, I take off my shoes and erase my footprints as I go.I stick to the edges, too.
Dh just trots in with his size 12 boots.

Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
It's the first impression... My room wasn't vacuumed, I see footprints. I am really good now tho, I take off my shoes and erase my footprints as I go.I stick to the edges, too.
Dh just trots in with his size 12 boots.
There are some things you are just going to have to get over...footprints being one of them..or else replace with carpet that doesn't show them :)

Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Get a Shark for $100 to go over your footprints. Easier and cheaper than doing the grunt work. A Shark is a (to describe it) battery operated Bissel carpet sweeper. That sucker gets crumbs up off the dining room carpet here and is light enough that DH can use it.
You can get a cordless Dieson, more expensive, but it even has a motorized head and frankly picks up a heck of a lot more than most vacuums I have seen, never mind cordless. Doesn't last as long, but if it's only touchups, stairs, etc. I use it instead of sweeping, now.

Agree about keeping her even if she isn't doing exactly what you want. I've had to lower my standards and get the grunt work done and then go back and make sure it's guest ready. Hubby and I hate this but would rather do the touchup stuff and save our backs than do it all. GOOD LUCK!!!
I feel the exact way.

Back