Hot? It is not!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Monday I called the plumber in town to check my furnace - it was making a rumbling noise. Business as usual for me - it is a bearing in the motor so I need a new motor and the exhaust pipe is shot. He finally called yesterday to say he found another motor and wanted me to know cost before he ordered (how asinine can that be, I have no choice jackass!) it. The parts I need total about $1500; and a new furnace? well that would be at least $4500 installed. So what are you waiting for? Order the damned parts - I have people coming for Thanksgiving (which I told them on day one). Guestroom heat is no problem - each room has an electric baseboard heat. Downstairs where I live is a balmy 59F with the little electric heater in my bathroom turned toward my bedroom, the heater in my office (where I basically live) is not happily pumping out heat), and today I cleared off the radiator in the hall and got it lit - a little bit of heat but not much. Of course it has been snowing the last 2 days. And of course, yesterday is the day the Health Dept came for my annual inspection.

I would have asked about the efficiency of the old versus a new. We changed from a 45% efficient system to a 96.5% efficient system and it more than cut the bill in half. Which saved us about $2K a year or more, depending on the year.

We replaced the 1957 furnace that was still functioning in 1995 but not efficient with this furnace. It just heats the downstairs. The upstairs rooms each have electric baseboard heating.

I have gotten smarter over the last few days. The doors upstairs are closed except for the bathroom at the top of the stairs with heat on, the Library door is closed and I fired up the gas heater in the hall (it was not removed before we bought the house because it was too heavy - turn on gas & light match so is not normally in use) with the door to the studio open. I have my heater in the office with that door closed, and the heater in my bathroom pointed to my bedroom with the bedroom doors closed. The gas heater in the kitchen spill into the dining room. The thermostat for the furnace says it is 64 F so I have brought it up a couple degrees. Just hoping the parts get here tomorrow or Tuesday. Guests arrive Wednesday evening for 4 nights.

Monday I called the plumber in town to check my furnace - it was making a rumbling noise. Business as usual for me - it is a bearing in the motor so I need a new motor and the exhaust pipe is shot. He finally called yesterday to say he found another motor and wanted me to know cost before he ordered (how asinine can that be, I have no choice jackass!) it. The parts I need total about $1500; and a new furnace? well that would be at least $4500 installed. So what are you waiting for? Order the damned parts - I have people coming for Thanksgiving (which I told them on day one). Guestroom heat is no problem - each room has an electric baseboard heat. Downstairs where I live is a balmy 59F with the little electric heater in my bathroom turned toward my bedroom, the heater in my office (where I basically live) is not happily pumping out heat), and today I cleared off the radiator in the hall and got it lit - a little bit of heat but not much. Of course it has been snowing the last 2 days. And of course, yesterday is the day the Health Dept came for my annual inspection.
Sounds like a normal stressed filled day in this idyllic business we are all in! Remind me again, why do we do this? May you get your furnace fixed and carry on in heated bliss!

Sounds like a normal stressed filled day in this idyllic business we are all in! Remind me again, why do we do this? May you get your furnace fixed and carry on in heated bliss!
UPDATE:
After my THIRD call to the plumbing shop TODAY, I finally got a call back, the parts came in today and will be installed in the morning. My frustration was as much with the lack of communitcation on their part as anything else.

Furnace working. Now to get the hall radiator to stop - turned the valve as hard as I could to shut off the gas. Still lit, but have hopes of it finally burning the last of the gas (no leak problem since it is still burning). I have HEAT!!

Back