Hotel imperfections or irritations - the top 10 list

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Extra Fees...i.e. Resort fees & mandatory parking/valet fees. Just tell me the price of the room and I'll make a decision to stay or not. Stop adding on fees.
2. Rooms that aren't clean. High end or low end, they should all be clean!
3, Kids/people talking & running loud down the hall all times of the day and night
4. Noisy water pipes waking me up.
5. Air Conditioners not adequate
6. bed spreads...if it's a spread and not a clean duvet, I take it off immediately
7. Hard old/squeeky beds
8. 2 sets of towels. I want more.
9. Putting out the do not disturb sign and still getting disturbed by housekeeping or front desk calling to ask if I want service.
10. Free breakfast that ends at 8:00 on weekdays
10 1/2. Airport shuttles that are not available 24 hours..
Breakfast Diva said:
How many sets do you put out?
We only put out one set, especially for one-nighters. If guests are staying more than one night, we freshen towels as needed when we fluff the room. We suggest that to "help us to stay green" that guests reuse their towels and to indicate that they wish to do so by hanging them up. Most do. Some request fresh towels, which is not a biggy.
We have one set per person in rooms with one bed. In rooms with two beds, we put out 3 sets. It's rare that the 3rd set is used when it's two guests, but it happens.
Most women with long hair want an extra bath towel to wrap their hair in while they dress.
Madeleine said:
Most women with long hair want an extra bath towel to wrap their hair in while they dress.
Not just with long hair. I want one, too. We had three bath towels in the rooms, always. When we upgraded to bath sheets, there are now 2 bath sheets, two bath towels, two hand towels and two washcloths. I hate drying my hair with a hand towel.
What the linen industry calls a bath towel, I call a hair towel/

1. Unclean or not cleaned properly - anything
2. Bad beds - too hard, too soft, old with springs, squeaking
3. Pillows to small, not enough
4. Doors not properly fitted - gaps that let in bugs, light and noise
5. Unknown Extra charges - from a safe fee to Wifi
6. Stocked fridge with a list of the cost of each item and NO room for MY stuff
7. Paper thin, sandpaper hard towels.
copperhead said:
Your stuff? I stayed at a hotel in Las Vegas with a notice on the mini-bar: $25 charge to store your personal stuff in OUR minibar.
It was the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in, but I'll NEVER stay there again due to the above notice, and the one that said, "$4 charge for each cup of coffee you make".
Not just anoying and petty, it's maddening!
The rooms in Vegas now are equipped with those sensitive pads. Even in you lift the item, it will automatically charge the item to your room. Most of the hotels there don't even have a fridge and they don't have coffee makers. They want everyone to go downstairs and buy their over priced stuff!

1. Extra Fees...i.e. Resort fees & mandatory parking/valet fees. Just tell me the price of the room and I'll make a decision to stay or not. Stop adding on fees.
3, Kids/people talking & running loud down the hall all times of the day and night
6. bed spreads...if it's a spread and not a clean duvet, I take it off immediately
7. Hard old/squeeky beds
9. Putting out the do not disturb sign and still getting disturbed by housekeeping or front desk calling to ask if I want service.
Breakfast Diva said:
We only put out one set, especially for one-nighters. If guests are staying more than one night, we freshen towels as needed when we fluff the room. We suggest that to "help us to stay green" that guests reuse their towels and to indicate that they wish to do so by hanging them up. Most do. Some request fresh towels, which is not a biggy.
Add on to Proud Texan.....
We also have a hair towel of a different color as well as two make up cloths.

copperhead said:
Your stuff? I stayed at a hotel in Las Vegas with a notice on the mini-bar: $25 charge to store your personal stuff in OUR minibar.
It was the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in, but I'll NEVER stay there again due to the above notice, and the one that said, "$4 charge for each cup of coffee you make".
The rooms in Vegas now are equipped with those sensitive pads. Even in you lift the item, it will automatically charge the item to your room. Most of the hotels there don't even have a fridge and they don't have coffee makers. They want everyone to go downstairs and buy their over priced stuff!
They don't want you in the rooms period! The TV's have about 4 channels and it's all the same thing.

7. Hard old/squeeky beds
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Each room for 2 people, we put out 4 large, 3 hand & 4 wash cloths. They also have in their closet, 2 beach towels (location specific obviously), 2 'deck towels' (these old towels of a different color, to be used to wipe feet, cars, deck furniture, etc.).
Especially if you're in a hot and humid area, it's very possible/probable that each person will shower/bath more than once a day. Those towels will stay damp from the morning shower and can still be yucky at night. If we're in an area where we'll be outdoors hiking, exploring, etc., I want to shower before going to bed.
BTW, we're also green (certified), but feel it's really the guest's choice. We wow them with choices and have the 'green' sign, but ultimately, we don't want to seem skimpy on anything we provide.

copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
You mean, throw their money away, gambling. They do not offer low priced rooms for you to actually spend time in them.

7. Hard old/squeeky beds
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Each room for 2 people, we put out 4 large, 3 hand & 4 wash cloths. They also have in their closet, 2 beach towels (location specific obviously), 2 'deck towels' (these old towels of a different color, to be used to wipe feet, cars, deck furniture, etc.).
Especially if you're in a hot and humid area, it's very possible/probable that each person will shower/bath more than once a day. Those towels will stay damp from the morning shower and can still be yucky at night. If we're in an area where we'll be outdoors hiking, exploring, etc., I want to shower before going to bed.
BTW, we're also green (certified), but feel it's really the guest's choice. We wow them with choices and have the 'green' sign, but ultimately, we don't want to seem skimpy on anything we provide.
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.
embaressed_smile.gif

copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
You mean, throw their money away, gambling. They do not offer low priced rooms for you to actually spend time in them.
You're right about that! Last time we went, they didn't really make any money off us. We did a Groupon deal and had a great room cheap, $100 gambling credit and $100 food credit and 8 free drink coupons in their hotel. We're not really gamblers, so it made for a quick, inexpensive getaway.
We're hoping to go to the PAII conf. there in January. Won't be so cheap then!

copperhead said:
They don't want you in the rooms period! The TV's have about 4 channels and it's all the same thing.
Stop staying on the strip.... Over on Boulder highway or some of the other large but non-strip hotels where I usually stay, we are paying the incredible rates of $19 to $39 a night and they have regular cable. Some even have cinemas right in the hotel :)

Back