Housekeeping chuckles

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
omg_smile.gif

My main housekeeper notoriously forgets to turn of the AC units and ceiling fan. Just yesterday I told remained her that there are no arrivals to the bedrooms she was working on - all off please. Came back to find to find ceiling fans on. In the other suite she left the AC on 61 degrees for the whole night! I just can not trust her and need to check every time..
April said:
My main housekeeper notoriously forgets to turn of the AC units and ceiling fan. Just yesterday I told remained her that there are no arrivals to the bedrooms she was working on - all off please. Came back to find to find ceiling fans on. In the other suite she left the AC on 61 degrees for the whole night! I just can not trust her and need to check every time.
oh boy, I always check up with the girls in tow. So they have no choice but to not deliver unfinished work, so to speak. I have made a step by step instruction sheet which I have put in a sleeve so that there's no every day printing them.
yet still, all the lights are on when they are done, I demonstratively turn them on, all the curtains are drawn, I demonstratively open them, etc. etc. etc. But at least I don't have to do the work anymore.

I even check over my own maid work I do.... Lets admit it, we aren't perfect!

My main housekeeper notoriously forgets to turn of the AC units and ceiling fan. Just yesterday I told remained her that there are no arrivals to the bedrooms she was working on - all off please. Came back to find to find ceiling fans on. In the other suite she left the AC on 61 degrees for the whole night! I just can not trust her and need to check every time..
April said:
My main housekeeper notoriously forgets to turn of the AC units and ceiling fan. Just yesterday I told remained her that there are no arrivals to the bedrooms she was working on - all off please. Came back to find to find ceiling fans on. In the other suite she left the AC on 61 degrees for the whole night! I just can not trust her and need to check every time.
oh boy, I always check up with the girls in tow. So they have no choice but to not deliver unfinished work, so to speak. I have made a step by step instruction sheet which I have put in a sleeve so that there's no every day printing them.
yet still, all the lights are on when they are done, I demonstratively turn them on, all the curtains are drawn, I demonstratively open them, etc. etc. etc. But at least I don't have to do the work anymore.
Yesterday I left the amenity bucket and the small card that describes the gift from a local store right on the counter for her to replenish from a room that was 'done'
She sailed out the door, walking right past them never asking where they go or saying oops.
Today she's called in. Again.

try giving her a checklist of the major things that need to be done...
Check list is right on the desk - makes no difference. She can "forget" the mop and bucket in the main hall and walk by it on the way out.

April said:
Yesterday I left the amenity bucket and the small card that describes the gift from a local store right on the counter for her to replenish from a room that was 'done'
She sailed out the door, walking right past them never asking where they go or saying oops.
I am concluding that only VERY few housekeepers are rocket scientists
devil_smile.gif

April said:
devil_smile.gif

Iris said:
devil_smile.gif
We've had marketing majors, artists, school teachers, college drop outs, high school drop outs, one who went on to start her own business, a chemistry major.
No rocket scientists but more than half were able to do the job without me following them around.
I will say that I can better understand now how poor people stay poor. I know that sounds awful but I've seen it time and again. Poor decisions can lead to poor outcomes which can lead to poverty.
Too many of the kids we've interviewed are one flat tire away from being homeless. I know that sounds like an exaggeration but the one we hired, with one paycheck under her belt moved out of her family home into an apartment. Her car is a beat up piece of junk. Her bf is chronically unemployed (and unemployable from what I've heard) . Her kid is always sick, then she's sick, then the kid is sick again. And what does she do with her first paycheck? She comes into work with fake nails and dyed hair. Hello! How about food for the kid and new tires for the car?
And don't get me started on the tattoos. I don't care about the tattoos so much as the money wasted. And who pays for the smart phone? That's not cheap.
This is a seasonal job. It's over in a few weeks. Then she'll be out of work, out of luck and out of the apartment. And please don't use me for a reference.

April said:
devil_smile.gif

Iris said:
devil_smile.gif
We've had marketing majors, artists, school teachers, college drop outs, high school drop outs, one who went on to start her own business, a chemistry major.
No rocket scientists but more than half were able to do the job without me following them around.
I will say that I can better understand now how poor people stay poor. I know that sounds awful but I've seen it time and again. Poor decisions can lead to poor outcomes which can lead to poverty.
Too many of the kids we've interviewed are one flat tire away from being homeless. I know that sounds like an exaggeration but the one we hired, with one paycheck under her belt moved out of her family home into an apartment. Her car is a beat up piece of junk. Her bf is chronically unemployed (and unemployable from what I've heard) . Her kid is always sick, then she's sick, then the kid is sick again. And what does she do with her first paycheck? She comes into work with fake nails and dyed hair. Hello! How about food for the kid and new tires for the car?
And don't get me started on the tattoos. I don't care about the tattoos so much as the money wasted. And who pays for the smart phone? That's not cheap.
This is a seasonal job. It's over in a few weeks. Then she'll be out of work, out of luck and out of the apartment. And please don't use me for a reference.
And on your unemployment

My housekeeper, lawn mower, front desk officer, chef, laundress, business manager are all IDIOTS but that's me, so no complaints here yet. Small BnB's do have an upside.
thumbs_up.gif
This is a chuckle but not in housekeeping. I was telling a friend about a vegetarian guest I had here. He said: " I don't mind vegetarians. A little salt and pepper and they are pretty good"

April said:
devil_smile.gif

Iris said:
devil_smile.gif
And on your unemployment
gillumhouse said:
And on your unemployment
No unemployment. This is a temporary, seasonal job.

April said:
devil_smile.gif

Iris said:
devil_smile.gif
And on your unemployment
gillumhouse said:
And on your unemployment
How do you get that past the Dept. of Labor?

April said:
devil_smile.gif

Iris said:
devil_smile.gif
And on your unemployment
gillumhouse said:
And on your unemployment
Harborfields said:
When we first started advertising we asked what was the protocol and we were told the ad has to specify it's seasonal, temporary work. We've never had anyone claim.
I'll be seriously pissed if this bozo gets to claim when she's rarely here anyway.
As it is we're already paying the highest unemployment % the state charges because someone cashed in years ago.

April said:
devil_smile.gif

Iris said:
devil_smile.gif
And on your unemployment
gillumhouse said:
And on your unemployment
Harborfields said:
When we first started advertising we asked what was the protocol and we were told the ad has to specify it's seasonal, temporary work. We've never had anyone claim.
I'll be seriously pissed if this bozo gets to claim when she's rarely here anyway.
As it is we're already paying the highest unemployment % the state charges because someone cashed in years ago.
So do you not file the quarterly return, or do you file a zero return? Just curious, 'cause most of our employees are part-time, seasonal, temporary... but it hasn't been obvious as to how to specify that. All of the guidance information seems to be written from the point of view that all employees are full-time permanent.

April said:
devil_smile.gif

Iris said:
devil_smile.gif
And on your unemployment
gillumhouse said:
And on your unemployment
Harborfields said:
So do you not file the quarterly return, or do you file a zero return? Just curious, 'cause most of our employees are part-time, seasonal, temporary... but it hasn't been obvious as to how to specify that. All of the guidance information seems to be written from the point of view that all employees are full-time permanent.
Sorry. The payroll company does it so I don't know.

Well, there is plenty of time now to attend to all those 'only on work days' emergencies.
Gomez talked me into keeping her on last month but even he threw in the towel today. (Ha, ha. 'Threw in the towel,' that's an innkeeping joke.)

Well, there is plenty of time now to attend to all those 'only on work days' emergencies.
Gomez talked me into keeping her on last month but even he threw in the towel today. (Ha, ha. 'Threw in the towel,' that's an innkeeping joke.).
Long overdue. I know you need the help but no reason to but up with her ignorance or insolence
devil_smile.gif

Awesome story!! LOL
Our high school girl just asked for next week off. WHAT??? her friend is coming to visit.
I said, you get off at 1 or 2, you can spend plenty of time with her. DH simply said, "I need the coverage."
Later, we remembered when we were kids with high school jobs. I missed my uncle's funeral because I worked as a waitress at a small place and there wasn't coverage for me to be gone 4 days. We worked when we were told to work. geeze..
TheBeachHouse said:
Awesome story!! LOL
Our high school girl just asked for next week off. WHAT??? her friend is coming to visit.
I said, you get off at 1 or 2, you can spend plenty of time with her. DH simply said, "I need the coverage."
Later, we remembered when we were kids with high school jobs. I missed my uncle's funeral because I worked as a waitress at a small place and there wasn't coverage for me to be gone 4 days. We worked when we were told to work. geeze.
Follow up - The friend arrived and (so sad) the girl was sick the whole week! Can you imagine? So sick she couldn't work. Her friend came all the way here to visit and the poor girl spend the week sick. I felt awful for her. Or wait, I felt angry toward her. Yes, that's it.

Awesome story!! LOL
Later, we remembered when we were kids with high school jobs. I missed my uncle's funeral because I worked as a waitress at a small place and there wasn't coverage for me to be gone 4 days. We worked when we were told to work. geeze..
TheBeachHouse said:
Awesome story!! LOL
Later, we remembered when we were kids with high school jobs. I missed my uncle's funeral because I worked as a waitress at a small place and there wasn't coverage for me to be gone 4 days. We worked when we were told to work. geeze.
Follow up - The friend arrived and (so sad) the girl was sick the whole week! Can you imagine? So sick she couldn't work. Her friend came all the way here to visit and the poor girl spend the week sick. I felt awful for her. Or wait, I felt angry toward her. Yes, that's it.
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Awesome story!! LOL
I think she needs another week off. Maybe 2. You could find a temp replacement who magically works out better. ;-)
Geez Louise.

Awesome story!! LOL
TheBeachHouse said:
Awesome story!! LOL
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Awesome story!! LOL
I think she needs another week off. Maybe 2. You could find a temp replacement who magically works out better. ;-)
Geez Louise.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Awesome story!! LOL
Geez Louise.
She's 17. No work etiquette yet. When we were her age, I remember missing a funeral because I was scheduled to work. Summer is seasonal. You work or you're out. We are looking for a replacement. As of now, 1/2 a housekeeper is better than none.

Back