How best to word "Book It"?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This topic comes up often for me. One thing I have to remind innkeepers of is that "book" is primarily innkeeper talk. It is a word we are so used to that we think everybody else uses it routinely too. I'd go with "Check availability" or "Reserve now" or something that has more assured meaning rather than a colloquialism that is not as common as we might assume..
swirt said:
This topic comes up often for me. One thing I have to remind innkeepers of is that "book" is primarily innkeeper talk. It is a word we are so used to that we think everybody else uses it routinely too. I'd go with "Check availability" or "Reserve now" or something that has more assured meaning rather than a colloquialism that is not as common as we might assume.
"En suite" is also innkeeper speak. Lots of people have no idea what that means.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
swirt said:
This topic comes up often for me. One thing I have to remind innkeepers of is that "book" is primarily innkeeper talk. It is a word we are so used to that we think everybody else uses it routinely too. I'd go with "Check availability" or "Reserve now" or something that has more assured meaning rather than a colloquialism that is not as common as we might assume.
"En suite" is also innkeeper speak. Lots of people have no idea what that means.
=)
Kk.
ensuite is British speak.
Joe Bloggs said:
YellowSocks said:
swirt said:
=)
Kk.
It's actually French
You're right about a lot of people not knowing what it means. I took it off all descriptions about a year after buying our inn. I kept having to say "yes, we have private baths".
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
YellowSocks said:
swirt said:
=)
Kk.
It's actually French
You're right about a lot of people not knowing what it means. I took it off all descriptions about a year after buying our inn. I kept having to say "yes, we have private baths".
I didn't say its origins were in Great Britain. Australians use the term ensuite (not master bath), Brit's use ensuite, AMERICANS DO NOT use ensuite, they use PRIVATE BATH for a hotel room with a bathroom INSIDE the room. No further explanation to an American. The only reason some on the forum use it is it is used on the forum. Not sure why any innkeeper would put that term on their website other than to take more calls than necessary to explain it all the time.

Having been in advertising, the rule I learned is that you have to be somewhat assertive in your approach when selling something. It's not "false enthusiasm". If you're not enthusiastic about your product, how do you expect the buying public to be.
If you give the customer a choice between your product and another, then the chances of them choosing you drops dramatically. Look at advertising around you. Do they say "shop around if you want to, but we hope you'll pick us" No. They say "Pick us. Now!"
"Book It Now" or "Reserve Now" have a sense of excitement and urgency, and yes, enthusiasm. You can reword the phrase, but you basically have to tell your potential customer what they should do. You give them a choice, they may not choose you..
Proud Texan said:
Having been in advertising, the rule I learned is that you have to be somewhat assertive in your approach when selling something.
I learned from a Don Farrell seminar that I took that you have to ask for the sale. "May I make that a firm reservation for you?" or something to that effect is hands down more effective than just waiting for them to say "Can I make that a reservation?" I have tried it and, honestly, I think it catches people off guard just enough to say yes.
That's what I am thinking of for the website: asking for the reservation, while still using lingo that the guest understands, in a way that doesn't seem pushy!

i had check availability on all the pages, and in the room section, reserve now.

Having been in advertising, the rule I learned is that you have to be somewhat assertive in your approach when selling something. It's not "false enthusiasm". If you're not enthusiastic about your product, how do you expect the buying public to be.
If you give the customer a choice between your product and another, then the chances of them choosing you drops dramatically. Look at advertising around you. Do they say "shop around if you want to, but we hope you'll pick us" No. They say "Pick us. Now!"
"Book It Now" or "Reserve Now" have a sense of excitement and urgency, and yes, enthusiasm. You can reword the phrase, but you basically have to tell your potential customer what they should do. You give them a choice, they may not choose you..
Proud Texan said:
Having been in advertising, the rule I learned is that you have to be somewhat assertive in your approach when selling something.
I learned from a Don Farrell seminar that I took that you have to ask for the sale. "May I make that a firm reservation for you?" or something to that effect is hands down more effective than just waiting for them to say "Can I make that a reservation?" I have tried it and, honestly, I think it catches people off guard just enough to say yes.
That's what I am thinking of for the website: asking for the reservation, while still using lingo that the guest understands, in a way that doesn't seem pushy!
penelope said:
Proud Texan said:
"May I make that a firm reservation for you?" makes for a very long button on a web page.
wink_smile.gif

My point was that you will never get that reservation if you pussy foot around. You have to "seal the deal" as they would say.

Proud Texan said:
penelope said:
Proud Texan said:
"May I make that a firm reservation for you?" makes for a very long button on a web page.
wink_smile.gif

My point was that you will never get that reservation if you pussy foot around. You have to "seal the deal" as they would say.
Proud Texan said:
penelope said:
Proud Texan said:
wink_smile.gif

lol! Is that like saying 'Is that a committment? In my experience, that would have most guys running.
wink_smile.gif

Back