How can I fix this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innovermyhead

Reaction score
Hi! I almost never post and we're a little different than most of you but some similarities as well. We have a campground with 16 cottages and I have what seems like the craziest problem so I must not be seeing the trouble... Especially this time of year I am not always in the store, therefore, I have a sign posted that reads: "NO ONE IN THE STORE? (picture of a telephone & arrow) Use the white phone mounted to your left and dial xxx-xxxx. We'll be right with you!"
This seems to confound people. They either don't read it at all or read it and try to call even though I'm in the store and they are looking at me or they pull out their cell phone - which won't work down here - and then can't dial me because the area code is not on the sign or they manage to figure out the whole phone # and then nothing happens because there is no service. Or worst of all they "don't want to bother me" so they come over to our house instead - which drives me totally nuts!
It's got to be me - so what should this sign say to be more helpful? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Can you put the sign on the counter only when you're gone?
"We're not here right now. Please use the phone on the wall, not your cellphone, to call us."
Is there any way to get the phone to dial directly to you once it is picked up? Or is this also a phone the guests can use to call out?
You're not alone. A friend has a phone in the entryway with a big sign that explains she's in her apartment, please call as she can't hear the doorbell. They'll stand in the hallway and yell or try to figure out which door goes to her apt. Like she wants someone walking in while she's in her jammies!

we have a contact phone with the number on it, on the table next to it as well so they can see it - and I tell everyone please use the contact phone if you need us as we are all over the building and car park so it means you always get us - still they wander about shouting - if you find a solution please share!

Put the sign on the door on a string, so you can turn it over when needed.
On the sign put in the area code in brackets. If you get people from outside north america add +1 in front. +1 (555) 555-1212.
For those without mobile service write: No cell service? Use our phone to the right ->
Then finally...
Please don't come to our door, it scares the dog.
We appreciate you respecting our privacy and calling instead.

I like Jon's idea of just making a sign to flip over when you are gone. If it is always up, that's what they're going to see before stepping foot in the door. I would be confused also.

I think the wording on your sign is fine, but maybe add (your cell phone won't work here) under it.

I like Jon's idea of just making a sign to flip over when you are gone. If it is always up, that's what they're going to see before stepping foot in the door. I would be confused also.

I think the wording on your sign is fine, but maybe add (your cell phone won't work here) under it..
I will say the hardest thing to get a guest to do is read a sign. We have a sign, an arrow, a big arrow, on the door pointing to the doorbell. It says 'please ring bell'. Lots of times I am standing out of range and I watch guests come to the door and wrench on the door handle. They look at the handle. Wrench again. Look around. Talk to each other. The arrow is right above the door handle. Right in their line of sight. On the dark background of the door it is a blazing beacon of information.
Obviously, if the door were unlocked they would just walk in. And then what? Stand there? Yell for us? Wander around?
If I ever go back to having the door unlocked I am going to get one of those Staples buttons, the big red one, and put it on the desk. Wired to ring the doorbell.

I think the wording on your sign is fine, but maybe add (your cell phone won't work here) under it..
I will say the hardest thing to get a guest to do is read a sign. We have a sign, an arrow, a big arrow, on the door pointing to the doorbell. It says 'please ring bell'. Lots of times I am standing out of range and I watch guests come to the door and wrench on the door handle. They look at the handle. Wrench again. Look around. Talk to each other. The arrow is right above the door handle. Right in their line of sight. On the dark background of the door it is a blazing beacon of information.
Obviously, if the door were unlocked they would just walk in. And then what? Stand there? Yell for us? Wander around?
If I ever go back to having the door unlocked I am going to get one of those Staples buttons, the big red one, and put it on the desk. Wired to ring the doorbell.
I see them try the door handle all the time. But being a door with a keypad, the handle turns on nothing unless the code is input. They try it once or twice and then look for the doorbell.

If the store is unattended use the white phone to call Cindy.

Back