How Do You Compete With This?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
Philadelphia hotel offers rooms for $1[/h2] by Jeffrey White Mar 23rd 2009 @ 4:15PM
Looking for a cheap night's sleep in Philadelphia?
You probably can't do better than the Alexander Inn, a boutique hotel in Center City.
Right now, the hotel is offering a limited number of rooms for $1. The offer is good for one night's stay, Sunday through Thursday, with no minimum stay required.
The offer is running from now through June 11. Unfortunately, you cannot book the rooms more than 30 days in advance of your stay.
The hotel is in a good location, easy walking distance to both Independence Park, Society Hill and Rittenhouse Square.
Double rooms go from $130-$170 typically.
Let us know if you have luck snagging a room with this offer!

You don't even try. It is probably only 2 rooms and is gimmick enough to get the publicity. How much do you want to bet that the $1 room(s) are booked through June 11 already.

Oh, it's like that thing with one of the airlines for $10 flights or whatever. Publicity and loss leaders like in retail.

Oh, it's like that thing with one of the airlines for $10 flights or whatever. Publicity and loss leaders like in retail..
Samster said:
Oh, it's like that thing with one of the airlines for $10 flights or whatever. Publicity and loss leaders like in retail.
That airline really did have $10 fares, and they will did go under. OH WELL!

Oh, it's like that thing with one of the airlines for $10 flights or whatever. Publicity and loss leaders like in retail..
Samster said:
Yes, but there weren't that many per each flight, right? That was the point...reel people in :)

Samster said:
Yes, but there weren't that many per each flight, right? That was the point...reel people in :)
Samster said:
YES! 10 per flight then $35 fares 10 per flight then...so on and so on. I got 4 tickets at $10, so it worked for me. Too bad it couldn't even pay for the fuel. Remember we flew to FLA and were stuck in pea soup fog and couldn't land and were rerouted and ...

Samster said:
Samster said:
YES! 10 per flight then $35 fares 10 per flight then...so on and so on. I got 4 tickets at $10, so it worked for me. Too bad it couldn't even pay for the fuel. Remember we flew to FLA and were stuck in pea soup fog and couldn't land and were rerouted and ...
Oh, that's right...Now I remember....

well, i found some articles about it but i see nothing on their website about this promotion. so i did a little digging for the details. really, it's a major publicity triumph because it's being discussed in forums and written about on lots of travel sites and in papers. there may be a paid ad somewhere, but i haven't found it yet. they've got a lot of free advertising from it.
just 5 of their 48 rooms are available for $1 -- must be booked by phone -- you call, you can book one room only -- for one night only -- if one of those rooms is available. if you're staying more than 1 nite, it applies to the first nite of your stay only. they take the full room rate on your credit card as security, once you check in they refund all but $1.00. no shows and same-day cancellations are charged the regular rate plus tax.

It was on our local news this evening..
The catch is "limited number of rooms" ...like those great airline rates that are only good for two seats per flight. Limited number of rooms could be 2.
RIki

Back