How do you manage people coming for website and print reviews?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two cents worth. I had a controlling ownership in, and personally managed, a 135 room full service, AAA 3 diamond hotel in Seattle from 1986 to 2004. AAA inspectors/reviewers periodically stayed in the hotel, ate in the restaurant, etc. and, as I recall, never announced their presence, let alone asked for a comp. I only found out the day they were leaving when they identified themselves and told me and my staff what they'd found. One dinged us because he wasn't asked (by his lunch waiter) if he'd like dessert. They always paid for their room and meals. I'm almost certain that was AAA policy and, as others have noted, what "legit" travel folks do. Travel agents, on the other hand, customarily got a 50% discount. Fellow hotel managers and owners often better yet, on a space available basis. That's my 2 cents worth. Perhaps things have changed since 2004 but it doesn't sound like it..
ArmenYousoufian said:
Travel agents, on the other hand, customarily got a 50% discount. Fellow hotel managers and owners often better yet, on a space available basis. That's my 2 cents worth. Perhaps things have changed since 2004 but it doesn't sound like it.
50%?! OTOH, you had a LARGE (comparatively speaking) property compared with anyone here. Giving a 50% discount to people on vacation just because of their job is a bit much. I had a guy last year who wanted me to underwrite his family vacation in peak season. He just didn't get why it wasn't possible for me to do that. (His business focus was bus tours. Not going to help me in the long run at all!)
Madeleine,
Thx for your good comments about my comment.
I also own a 4 room country inn so I am aware of both ends of the lodging spectrum.
I forgot my usual disclaimer that what I said was in the FWIW category. And also forgot to say the Travel Agent discount was on a space available basis and likely would not be given in peak season. This was typical in the industry and I thought it might be helpful for folks to know that, if they didn't already. From what other B&B innkeepers have told me, they'd sell an otherwise empty room at 50% of peak rates, if there was a way to not have that "cannibalize" other sales. Limiting a discount to a licensed agent works for some, just like sales in the off season.
As for the person you mentioned, he may have just been trolling for anyone who would comp him. Sounds like you did the right thing to not take the bait.
That said, I thought it might help folks to know that if someone is legitimately looking to do a review of an accommodation or an area, whether it's a bigger or smaller property, they likely won't be asking for a comp. And if they are illegitimate, that the bigger properties aren't likely to give them a comp, and they may pick on a smaller operation, thinking their story might get them a free room.
Thx for allowing me to expand on my earlier comment.
Cheers,
Armen Yousoufian
Travel agents and airline employees got the 50% from the hotel I worked at many years ago. It was expected - basically an SOP in hotels.

Back