How Do You Tell Where A Guest Has Found You?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent examples NW BB. Self-reporting when it comes to how people found you is very unreliable. As Catlady mentioned, Google Analytics can do what you are describing as a free tracker, but it takes a bit of work to set up the goals so that it is easier to track the conversions..
I posted this on another post, but I think it belongs here sw
Sorry,
Gotta disagree with you on that one. If you yourself are web savy, and know the right questions to ask, you can get AT LEAST a 75% answer of for sure where they found you. Why? You ask where they FIRST found you. So they say google. I say what did you actually type in on google. Ok, yes, 25% say, uh I don't know, I've been looking for days etc etc. BUT, most of my customers will tell me exactly the keywords they typed in, then I go to google and type it in and see where I'm found with those words. Or they will say referall, return guest, or found you on so and so site I'm paying to be on. I may make someone mad here, but if you can't find out how the majority of the guests found you by asking them questions, I don't think the problem is with the guest.
swilson said:
Sorry,
Gotta disagree with you on that one. If you yourself are web savy, and know the right questions to ask, you can get AT LEAST a 75% answer of for sure where they found you. Why? You ask where they FIRST found you. So they say google. I say what did you actually type in on google. Ok, yes, 25% say, uh I don't know, I've been looking for days etc etc. BUT, most of my customers will tell me exactly the keywords they typed in, then I go to google and type it in and see where I'm found with those words. Or they will say referall, return guest, or found you on so and so site I'm paying to be on. I may make someone mad here, but if you can't find out how the majority of the guests found you by asking them questions, I don't think the problem is with the guest.
I agree with you, 5 years ago people would just answer "on the internet" now even the granny's of our nation are online, so they can tell you more specifically where they found you. Love the technogrannies! Some guests LOVE to tell in detail what led them to us or our website.
I beleive gone are the days where guests have no idea, I think, at least with our guests, majority know where they found us. But having said that, they may have seen us on 4 or 5 different websites before they called. Specifically which one is the best bang for the buck is hard to ascertain.
Then why am I seeing the results I do with my SuperStatz?? I am not exaggerating when I tell you that 90% of them are wrong. And, I have a younger demographics than a lot of B&Bs, so that would make them a bit more tech savvy than the older generation.
NW BB said:
Then why am I seeing the results I do with my SuperStatz?? I am not exaggerating when I tell you that 90% of them are wrong. And, I have a younger demographics than a lot of B&Bs, so that would make them a bit more tech savvy than the older generation.
Wrong in what way? Wrong meaning they are not the same results as a drop down menu from webervations? I would say most people just click anything on that when asked where they found you.

Excellent examples NW BB. Self-reporting when it comes to how people found you is very unreliable. As Catlady mentioned, Google Analytics can do what you are describing as a free tracker, but it takes a bit of work to set up the goals so that it is easier to track the conversions..
Sorry,
I don't know about you, but most of my reservations come online using Webervations (80%-90%). You don't question those people since you don't talk to them before they arrive.
I used to use your method. Once I started using the tracking system I realized that most of my referral information was wrong. Also, I don't want to have to interrogate my guests when they call in. They try really hard to give you answers and they feel bad when they can't. I think sometimes they also just tell you what you want to hear.
The reason I started this separate post was due to a post you wrote that stated you had a substantial number of bedandbreakfast.com reservations one year, then went to nothing. That's very suspicious to me...it seems that the problem is probably with the tracking.
Of course, this is just my opinion and my experience.
I'm always amazed when inns get that sort of online booking! I'm still under 40%. So, 60% of the guests are calling in to ask questions (yes, I have addressed those questions on the website). The number one question I still get relates to how close are we to where a guest wants to be (and the particular place varies even tho the top places are right on my website).
The number two question is, 'I'm looking at your availability calendar, are these rooms open on these days?' What I can gather from that is that guests have run into booking problems with online calendars and they want to be sure. A corollary question is, 'Do you have availability on these dates and what are the prices?' These are guests who have not found my website, but have found my phone number.
Which then brings up the question many of you can answer for me...does a guest go right from a directory to your Webervations calendar or do they go from the directory to your website and then to Webervations? Curious to know if I am missing hundreds of bookings because my comp has Weberv and I don't and guests don't want to bother looking at my calendar when they can see all the other inns' avail right away.
from directory to website, then Webervations. My information may not be as useful to you as some others, since I have each room's available integrated into the room page, so whenever they go to a room, they automatically see the availability of that room whether they like it or not.

Sorry,
I don't know about you, but most of my reservations come online using Webervations (80%-90%). You don't question those people since you don't talk to them before they arrive.
I used to use your method. Once I started using the tracking system I realized that most of my referral information was wrong. Also, I don't want to have to interrogate my guests when they call in. They try really hard to give you answers and they feel bad when they can't. I think sometimes they also just tell you what you want to hear.
The reason I started this separate post was due to a post you wrote that stated you had a substantial number of bedandbreakfast.com reservations one year, then went to nothing. That's very suspicious to me...it seems that the problem is probably with the tracking.
I'm always amazed when inns get that sort of online booking! I'm still under 40%. So, 60% of the guests are calling in to ask questions (yes, I have addressed those questions on the website). The number one question I still get relates to how close are we to where a guest wants to be (and the particular place varies even tho the top places are right on my website).
The number two question is, 'I'm looking at your availability calendar, are these rooms open on these days?' What I can gather from that is that guests have run into booking problems with online calendars and they want to be sure. A corollary question is, 'Do you have availability on these dates and what are the prices?' These are guests who have not found my website, but have found my phone number.
Which then brings up the question many of you can answer for me...does a guest go right from a directory to your Webervations calendar or do they go from the directory to your website and then to Webervations? Curious to know if I am missing hundreds of bookings because my comp has Weberv and I don't and guests don't want to bother looking at my calendar when they can see all the other inns' avail right away.
from directory to website, then Webervations. My information may not be as useful to you as some others, since I have each room's available integrated into the room page, so whenever they go to a room, they automatically see the availability of that room whether they like it or not.
NW BB said:
Bree brought up a good question - Do guests PREFER webervations over Superinn? There is definately a difference in reserving with one or the other or another (Reznexus or RezOvation for example). Perhaps that impacts guests choices? I would love to know what BandB.com has discovered - other than innkeepers prefer the simple straightforward Weberv 1.0

Sorry,
Sorry, If I'm going to play 20 questions on the phone it is going to be about the guest and what they need or want. It is not going to drill them about where or how they found us. My website does that for me without bothering me or my potential guests. I, like Bree, had directories listed in my choices for how they found us that we were not a member of. Those got more selections than the the actual ways they could have found us. Self-reporting is very unreliable. There is no good reason not to configure your website with a good tracker and get the meaningful numbers.
Gheez...we are thinking alike today...:)

Sorry,
NW BB said:
Bree brought up a good question - Do guests PREFER webervations over Superinn? There is definately a difference in reserving with one or the other or another (Reznexus or RezOvation for example). Perhaps that impacts guests choices? I would love to know what BandB.com has discovered - other than innkeepers prefer the simple straightforward Weberv 1.0
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
NW BB said:
I will say it would be an absolutely essential marketing point for bandb to make...90% of guests (or whatever %) book immediately rather than going to your website. How many more inns would sign up for Weberv if they knew it was bringing in that kind of traffic??? And I don't mean those places that have NO online booking now. I mean those inns that HAVE online booking but don't have Weberv.

Actually though, the most bang for your buck is a place I think most of you'all would never go. I had to one day when my business was crumbling before my eyes, I HAD to get some business so I just bit the bullet and never looked back. I'm sure most everyone will have a lot of negs to say about it but it SAVED my business with an increase of over one third!.
Don't just tease....spit it out! Where? EBay? Craig's List?????
By the way, we're not here to judge you. We're here to learn from each other.
You won't like it!

Actually though, the most bang for your buck is a place I think most of you'all would never go. I had to one day when my business was crumbling before my eyes, I HAD to get some business so I just bit the bullet and never looked back. I'm sure most everyone will have a lot of negs to say about it but it SAVED my business with an increase of over one third!.
Pet Friendly

Pet Friendly
swilson said:
Pet Friendly
All rooms are only certain rooms?

Pet Friendly
I don't know why you think we'll react so badly to that! Geez, I think it's great you figured out that's what your business needs! I know several innkeepers who have at least 1 room pet friendly. The rooms definitely need to be set up right for it.
Heck, I thought you were gonna get out on the street corner in a chicken suit or something!!
wink_smile.gif
I tell my aspiring innkeepers that there's a great market for pet friendly b&b's and if it's possible, set aside a room or two for it. But, also set up some good policies to protect yourself.
GO FOR IT!
BTW
welcome.gif
swilson!

What about barking? Is this eliminated by not allowing a dog to be alone in the room?
Maybe we need a new thread...I will go start one. Hang on.

Sort of useless answer removed...

Pet Friendly
I don't know why you think we'll react so badly to that! Geez, I think it's great you figured out that's what your business needs! I know several innkeepers who have at least 1 room pet friendly. The rooms definitely need to be set up right for it.
Heck, I thought you were gonna get out on the street corner in a chicken suit or something!!
wink_smile.gif
I tell my aspiring innkeepers that there's a great market for pet friendly b&b's and if it's possible, set aside a room or two for it. But, also set up some good policies to protect yourself.
GO FOR IT!
BTW
welcome.gif
swilson!
Before I lost about 50% of my business through marketing changes, we allowed but did not like pets.
I then looked for a niche market, and went after pet friendly in a big way. Now, over 50% of my business is pet friendly. I'll admit, my place is unique in that we advertise as the only leash free lodge in our area that has dozens of lodges, so that is a huge draw. But, I also charge for that, and have the HIGHEST prices in our area.
It is not unusual to have pets in every room. We try to keep one open that we never put pets in, but you know how it is. If it is the only thing open I'm putting a full price pet friendly client in there!
This weekend 60% of our guests have pets.
And thanks for the welcome nwbb. It's nice to be loved.

Pet Friendly
wink_smile.gif
GO FOR IT!
BTW
welcome.gif
swilson!
Before I lost about 50% of my business through marketing changes, we allowed but did not like pets.
I then looked for a niche market, and went after pet friendly in a big way. Now, over 50% of my business is pet friendly. I'll admit, my place is unique in that we advertise as the only leash free lodge in our area that has dozens of lodges, so that is a huge draw. But, I also charge for that, and have the HIGHEST prices in our area.
It is not unusual to have pets in every room. We try to keep one open that we never put pets in, but you know how it is. If it is the only thing open I'm putting a full price pet friendly client in there!
This is off the track for this thread..but I guess I will keep at it here. Pet friendly is a big and growing niche market. People don't want to leave their pets at home or in a kennel. They want them with them. So if you are willing to do any clean up and repairs and charge the guests for damages I say go for it. But understand that people with allergies will not book with you because you accept pets. It is a trade off.
Sounds like you have cottages rather than guest rooms in your place so you have it a bit easier in that no barking dogs to disturb the room next door.
You all speak about dogs..but what about cats?? Doe anyone take cats??? I hate leaving mine at home for longer than day. Anyone ever get an unusual pet request??? BOA???

Pet Friendly
wink_smile.gif
GO FOR IT!
BTW
welcome.gif
swilson!
This is off the track for this thread..but I guess I will keep at it here. Pet friendly is a big and growing niche market. People don't want to leave their pets at home or in a kennel. They want them with them. So if you are willing to do any clean up and repairs and charge the guests for damages I say go for it. But understand that people with allergies will not book with you because you accept pets. It is a trade off.
Sounds like you have cottages rather than guest rooms in your place so you have it a bit easier in that no barking dogs to disturb the room next door.
You all speak about dogs..but what about cats?? Doe anyone take cats??? I hate leaving mine at home for longer than day. Anyone ever get an unusual pet request??? BOA???
No cats. Here's the deal...I'm very allegic to cats and cats get on everything. Dogs won't be on the windowsills or laying on the back of the chairs. Plus, biggie here, where does the cat pee? Does the guest ALWAYS bring a litter box? Does the cat always use it? Successfully? I've had cats. Dogs will eat your slippers if they're mad at you. Cats will puke everywhere and spray all over. And who is going to take the cat shopping or hiking? No one. The cat will sit and howl all day!
So, I refer cat people to other places.
A boa I wouldn't mind except they get really bad parasites and if they're not looked after, that would be something I wasn't looking for and it could get out of hand quickly. They'd be perfect in the fall, tho, when the mice get in.
wink_smile.gif

I think pet friendly inns are wonderful and with one about 30 minutes from here, I send all my inquiries that way and I am happy to do so.
I do have pets, I love animals. I am not alergic. But I would not and do not stay in a place that pets are welcome. Edited to clarify: I would not stay in a room where pets have been welcomed. It is just a quirk of mine. I don't know how clean the animal was that was in the room before me and certainly do not expect a full cleaning (carpets etc.) before my arrival.
I was led to this thread by the thread that had been hijacked that was the 'how guests find you' tread. The last couple of posts were about cats and other animals- BOA was mentioned. So I am throwing this into this thread. What about animals other than dogs and cats?
Now reason for this question: Several years ago our convention center was hosting a huge reptile show. The center really had to work hard to capture this show and finally they got the contract. One slight problem that they did not think about was accommodations. It became a major problem because NONE of the hotels in the area accepted pets and these were reptiles! One hotel finally consented because they would fill the entire hotel. The manager told me that each 'pet' was counted on the way in and on the way out, and all the guests had to agree to no room servicing as none of their cleaning staff would go in the rooms.

Pet Friendly
wink_smile.gif
GO FOR IT!
BTW
welcome.gif
swilson!
No boas, but this summer we did have a guest who HAD to bring her parrot. That was interesting!!! She took him for walks in a stroller!

Back