How honest have you been able to stay as an innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kk said it best. You either are or you're not.
I've always been a very honest person. Sometimes it got me into uncomfortable situations. I'm not the kind that will just blurt out a statement to someone because it's honest, but if you ask my opinion about something, then you better be prepared to hear the truth.
One big reason I don't lie is that it takes way to much thought and energy to remember those lies! I grew up in a family with lies and secrets. Hated it, it wasn't me.
I can be guilty of lying by omission. If I sold a room for multiple nights and thought that the only way I was going to get it was to throw in something free, I'll do it and not tell DH. If he asks, I'll tell the truth. He almost always finds out, but I don't want conflict over trivial things. I'm the one who really makes the daily decisions here and he knows it, I just don't need to throw it in his face. Another example of lying by omission or not being totally honest is if a guest asks me about a recipe of something I served them and it's not in my little cookbook I sell, I tell them "it's a family secret". in fact it is, my family knows that sometimes I'll use a package mix or a store bought item. It's not hurting our guest, they are asking about it because they enjoyed it so much. As long as it's a good quality product, I'll use it.
As far as food goes, I advertise we buy locally when possible. If I buy fruit in the winter time from South America, then obviously it wasn't possible to buy it from a local vendor. I don't consider this a lie at all.
Here's the bottom line...If you are someone who needs/wants to lie about things it will catch up to you in the end. You don't have to be perfect, just be the best you can be "today".

Kk said it best. You either are or you're not.
I've always been a very honest person. Sometimes it got me into uncomfortable situations. I'm not the kind that will just blurt out a statement to someone because it's honest, but if you ask my opinion about something, then you better be prepared to hear the truth.
One big reason I don't lie is that it takes way to much thought and energy to remember those lies! I grew up in a family with lies and secrets. Hated it, it wasn't me.
I can be guilty of lying by omission. If I sold a room for multiple nights and thought that the only way I was going to get it was to throw in something free, I'll do it and not tell DH. If he asks, I'll tell the truth. He almost always finds out, but I don't want conflict over trivial things. I'm the one who really makes the daily decisions here and he knows it, I just don't need to throw it in his face. Another example of lying by omission or not being totally honest is if a guest asks me about a recipe of something I served them and it's not in my little cookbook I sell, I tell them "it's a family secret". in fact it is, my family knows that sometimes I'll use a package mix or a store bought item. It's not hurting our guest, they are asking about it because they enjoyed it so much. As long as it's a good quality product, I'll use it.
As far as food goes, I advertise we buy locally when possible. If I buy fruit in the winter time from South America, then obviously it wasn't possible to buy it from a local vendor. I don't consider this a lie at all.
Here's the bottom line...If you are someone who needs/wants to lie about things it will catch up to you in the end. You don't have to be perfect, just be the best you can be "today"..
I'm not sure what prompted the question because something apparently was deleted.
I think I try my best to tell the truth. I don't make my own jam and I don't lie about it. I tell people what kind of food I use if they ask. I find it hard to lie when people ask me personal questions as well, even when I don't want to answe them.
Why would somebody lie???

Ok, I realized I do tell little white lies...when someone is on the phone gushing about what a wonderful stay they had last time and "I'm not sure if you remember us or not..." I will fake it, then get off the phone, look them up, go back to the room journal to see if they wrote a note...something to job my memory so I'm prepared when they walk in the door. It usually works out ok, I am much better with faces than names so I usually DO remember them as soon as I seem them.

I missed this one the first time around but I think I may get what you mean. You have a guest on the phone who is questioning why this and why that and you know you have a good product so you fib...'Why are we not full when everyone else is?' (Seriously, I don't know why.) But this is the answer I gave, 'We just had a big cancellation so the rooms opened up.' Guest booked, had a clear conscience in doing so that he was not getting himself into some 'rat trap' and they had a good time. So that is something the guest would not have known and would not have affected the stay.
When guests rave about the pancakes and want to know if we give out the recipe, that's a tough one because I know they are going to be both disappointed and encouraged at the same time. Sure, I'll give them the recipe but they've been thinking it's this big deal and it's out of a box they can buy anywhere. Disappointed that it's not something 'really special' but encouraged that their pancakes could taste as good, too.
I will tell the truth when it would be in my best interests to just shut up and I will lie when the truth would be much better. Hate to say it, but studies have shown that most of what your kids are telling you is a lie or a mistruth or an evasion. I think adults don't stray too far from that, either, but the studies have only been done on teens.
And I base that on a lot of guests who say things you know are not the truth. Why tell me a lie when just not saying anything would be better! You could say, 'Thank you,' for a breakfast you didn't really like, why tell me it was 'wonderful, but I just don't eat a lot for breakfast.' We call it being polite. I don't even ask if anyone liked the breakfast. I think in the situation the guest is in (my home) they won't tell the truth anyway if they hated it!

I am not sure how to understand this thread. I also haven't read any of the replies. Hopefully I get this right.
I have never felt the need to make up anything not to a guest nor anyone else. My live can be pittiful all on it's own, heheh. I have always to a fault taken resposibilities for any stupid thing I did. So, no need to make up things there either. It does not enter my mind to do that. Why? Besides, OMG, more stuff to keep track of because I sure wouldn't want to be caught in a lie. Also, I do not talk to guests about other guests. I can only imagine what those guests might think I will do once they themselves have left the premises.
Did I understand the thread correctly?

Back