How is your season going?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our occupancy is down because of the local strike. And this was going to be the first summer that I was going to hire someone to help me in the summer. No need.
I'm doing less discounting and the reservations are coming in very last minute..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Our occupancy is down because of the local strike. And this was going to be the first summer that I was going to hire someone to help me in the summer. No need.
I'm doing less discounting and the reservations are coming in very last minute.
Who is striking? I missed this on the news...
College and University students. Tuition is to go up from $2,168 a year to $3,793 over 5 years.... or $3,946 over 7 and then indexed at 2.1%. Yup, we are the laughing stock of the world.
Holy cow. I could have sent 86 Canadians to college with what I paid for 3 kids to go to Uni here.

I'm doing less discounting and the reservations are coming in very last minute..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
College and University students. Tuition is to go up from $2,168 a year to $3,793 over 5 years.... or $3,946 over 7 and then indexed at 2.1%. Yup, we are the laughing stock of the world.
Holy cow. I could have sent 86 Canadians to college with what I paid for 3 kids to go to Uni here.
Madeleine said:
Not all Canadians. Quebecers, yes. But not the rest of us. I should have moved to Montreal in highschool.

Hugs to Ice! We love ya and hope each day is brighter than the last.
I wrote a blog on this SW Antique Tractor Event this weekend on Father's day and as I typed it I got teary eyed...okay, big green tractors tear me up...no really, my Dad, his sister and nephew were at this very event when we got the call Grandpa died. They had been caring for him and the minute they flew from San Fran out here he died. I had to track them down and find them to tell them. The staff (volunteers) tossed me in a golf cart and zipped me all over the crowds of people to find Dad to tell him, they were unbelievably caring, yeah a tractor event. Who knew...
PS Dad is in recovery right this minute after a heart cath. He is doing fine..
Green tractor people are the best tractor people.
Weaver said:
Green tractor people are the best tractor people.
We have one!
wink_smile.gif

Ice, I am sorry about your Mom. Lost mine in 1995 and Daddy in 1996 and we are still talking about them (just today in fact).
Re biz - had the first for June Sunday (still getting calls from gas workers but no thanks) and took a day today to satisfy DH with a Road Trip!. Half an hour from home got a call for a room tonight. told them I was half an hour from home. Go have dinner. They are upstairs now.
Re the big green machine - my Daddy had a put-put. Had to turn the flywheel to start it. We cut, raked, and baled many a hayfield, plowed, disced, and harrowed corn fields and gardens, and pulled stumps in addition to Mom driving the tractor while Daddy used the scoop to dig out the foundation of the house they built - while she was preggers with my youngest brother.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
so many of our graduates are out of work or doing jobs like my friend John _ good degree from a good university working in a hardwear store which he could have left work at 16 and done. Am doubly cross for him as he was the first in his family to go and they scrimped and he scrimped to go and this is what he has to show for it!
They are putting tuitian fees up here and basically applicants have dropped like a stone they won't risk the amount of debt it will cost and just go work in walmart.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
so many of our graduates are out of work or doing jobs like my friend John _ good degree from a good university working in a hardwear store which he could have left work at 16 and done. Am doubly cross for him as he was the first in his family to go and they scrimped and he scrimped to go and this is what he has to show for it!
They are putting tuitian fees up here and basically applicants have dropped like a stone they won't risk the amount of debt it will cost and just go work in walmart.
So many are going to university and forgetting that they could be plumbers, electricians, cabinet makers, carpenters, etc. All that pay good wages. Our government spends lots of money to get people to fill those jobs as well.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
That's the tuition for locals, you have to be a resident of the province for that rate. And they are still complaining about it. They want us to pick up the bill for them.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
There has been such a push for college degrees and that everyone must go to college, that it is now like a high school diploma - which at one time was a HUGE achievement for a family to have a high school graduate.
Education standards have been lowered so much that I question if a HS today is worth as much as the 8th grade diploma I got. There is such a need for tradesmen today - but no one wants to get their hands dirty!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
There has been such a push for college degrees and that everyone must go to college, that it is now like a high school diploma - which at one time was a HUGE achievement for a family to have a high school graduate.
Education standards have been lowered so much that I question if a HS today is worth as much as the 8th grade diploma I got. There is such a need for tradesmen today - but no one wants to get their hands dirty!
And that is exactly why tradesman are being paid so much. It can take days to get a plumber today. It's good work and well paid. You should see what soldering pays!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
And that is exactly why tradesman are being paid so much. It can take days to get a plumber today. It's good work and well paid. You should see what soldering pays!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
One of the nice things about living in a small town is that I can leave a message at the plumber tonight (or Sunday) and get the problem fixed almost first thing in the morning. He gives me priority (I make sure he knows when it is guest part problem or my part of the house) for guest side problems - he understands business too. Does not mean the bill is any less - choke - but the problem is fixed.

Back