How to wow your vegan guests at breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCandL

Reaction score
We are looking to step our vegan game up a notch without reaching too far from our pantry. What are you doing to wow your vegan guests?

If you click on the recipe link there is a vegan section. Not sure exactly how involved you want to get or how near your local grocery store is.
What we've found is vegans are just as fussy as omnivores so it's better to narrow down what they'll eat before making a big presentation.
Some vegans don't like vegetables for breakfast. Some don't like specific veggies. Some can't have soy. Some won't use almond products because of the damage that crop causes to the water supply. Some will ask if your sugar is vegan. Some will ask for organic cow's milk. Some vegans eat meat if it's responsibly raised and slaughtered, they just don't want to be involved in industrial meat processing.
Know the individual territory before wasting time and money.

One favorite of ours is a Sweet potato hash. Shredded sweet potatoes, fried up in the skillet with onions, peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, and seasonings, then served with a fried or poached egg! Very filling!

One favorite of ours is a Sweet potato hash. Shredded sweet potatoes, fried up in the skillet with onions, peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, and seasonings, then served with a fried or poached egg! Very filling!.
Northern Dreamer said:
One favorite of ours is a Sweet potato hash. Shredded sweet potatoes, fried up in the skillet with onions, peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, and seasonings, then served with a fried or poached egg! Very filling!
Vegans don't eat eggs, but this sounds like a very delicious recipe without the egg. I'll bet vegetarians love it with the egg.

Morticia pretty much covered all of the weird questions I've been asked by vegans. I had no idea sugar could contain animal byproducts until someone asked about it. I suppose if someone is so concerned about sugar, then they could take offense that my fruit & veggies aren't always organic.
I make vegan crepes. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15417/vegan-crepes/ I've also made vegan breakfast burritos, provided the guest is ok with soy. I use a soy taco meat & vegan cheese. The soy taco meat is delicious so I use any leftovers myself. Another tasty idea is tofu scrambles using the firm tofu, a little bit of vegan mayo, chopped veggies, and some turmeric to give it an "eggy" color.
Again, follow Morticia's advice and ask the guest before going through the effort to make a vegan breakfast. I learned the hard way that some guests don't like tofu after spending $$ to buy it.

Morticia pretty much covered all of the weird questions I've been asked by vegans. I had no idea sugar could contain animal byproducts until someone asked about it. I suppose if someone is so concerned about sugar, then they could take offense that my fruit & veggies aren't always organic.
I make vegan crepes. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15417/vegan-crepes/ I've also made vegan breakfast burritos, provided the guest is ok with soy. I use a soy taco meat & vegan cheese. The soy taco meat is delicious so I use any leftovers myself. Another tasty idea is tofu scrambles using the firm tofu, a little bit of vegan mayo, chopped veggies, and some turmeric to give it an "eggy" color.
Again, follow Morticia's advice and ask the guest before going through the effort to make a vegan breakfast. I learned the hard way that some guests don't like tofu after spending $$ to buy it..
Yeah, that's me - queen of the weird question answers.

We always have fruit and we always have oatmeal. I can toss some tomatoes out. I'm planning to stock frozen potatoes for the summer so that I have them when the vegans arrive.

All my sugar is vegan and so are all my homemade jams (unless I specifically mention honey was used.) I have a few vegan dishes, but for the most part, I don't really worry about them. They are happy enough that I cater a breakfast to them and that I'm careful to mention that the bagels aren't vegan (egg wash to put on the seeds), that all the sugar and jam are vegan. I have oatmeal for them. I usually make something for them that's vegan, like tofu slices, Israeli breakfast salad or pancakes.
And yes, sugar being vegan is a big deal. Almost all sugar in this country (except from one west coast factory) is vegan, but in the US it's a lot more difficult to find.
I also do not use agave. Tend to not use soy milk (we prefer nut milk). I do store in the freezer a vegan chorizo, that I can portion out when needed to flavour vegan breakfast items, like tofu slices.

Hi there!
I run a strictly vegan BnB and breakfast choices are:
Steel cut oats with vegan yogurt, granola, fruit and maple syrup
Vegan pancakes
Vegan muffins and/or banana bread
Selection of cereal with nut milk choices
Vegan toast with vegan butter, jam or vegan cheese
Vegan tofu scramble with steamed veggies and hash browns
Make sure you ask about allergies: I've had some guests allergic to soy or almonds or who wanted vegan AND gluen-free :)

As Morticia said "vegans are just as fussy as omnivores so it's better to narrow down what they'll eat before making a big presentation."
So, when I check people in and ask if thy have dietary requirements, I'll dig into "Vegan" ... what would they like? I make my standard toast bread vegan, served with almond butter, fruit, etc. usually is good. If GF then I'll suggest oatmeal with applesauce, or ... whatever. Get is straight before you put in a lot of work. Some vegan mock meat is just plain fowl .. uh, foul, sorry.

Hi there!
Vegan pancakes
Make sure you ask about allergies: I've had some guests allergic to soy or almonds or who wanted vegan AND gluen-free :).
BYB said:
Hi there!
Vegan pancakes
Make sure you ask about allergies: I've had some guests allergic to soy or almonds or who wanted vegan AND gluen-free :)
What is vegan yogurt? What is vegan butter?

Hi there!
Vegan pancakes
Make sure you ask about allergies: I've had some guests allergic to soy or almonds or who wanted vegan AND gluen-free :).
BYB said:
Hi there!
Vegan pancakes
What is vegan yogurt? What is vegan butter? - No dairy ingredients, so it's not true yogurt or butter. Vegan "yogurt" is usually soy-based.
Example: Smart Balance margarine doesn't have any whey protein in it, but other margarines do. When I point this out to vegans, I've had many say, "Oh, I really should read the labels more closely. I've never paid attention to that." I also had "vegans" who stayed with me for 6 days eat all of the mini Hershey's milk chocolates in their room. Um, hello, that's not vegan!

Hi there!
Vegan pancakes
BYB said:
Hi there!
Vegan pancakes
Yogourt is available made from almond milk, coconut milk and soy. But often we just do chia pudding instead from almond milk.

One favorite of ours is a Sweet potato hash. Shredded sweet potatoes, fried up in the skillet with onions, peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, and seasonings, then served with a fried or poached egg! Very filling!.
Northern Dreamer said:
Vegans don't eat eggs, but this sounds like a very delicious recipe without the egg. I'll bet vegetarians love it with the egg.
A little late, but Interesting tidbit.. There are actually vegan "eggs" too.. Much like the vegan milk, butter, etc. addressed in the comments above. There are recipes for omelets, quiche, and egg substitutes in recipes, as well as at least one product (Follow Your Heart Brand) that is designed to be fried in a pan (or similarly cooked). There is an alternative process for preparation, of course. But from what I've seen, if someone didn't see it being made, they would probably believe it was the real thing.. Who knew? The omelet and quiche recipes can be made with soy-free ingredients as well (for those with allergies).Those alternatives usually consist of chickpea flour and, at times, flaxseed. Chia seeds are included in some. Black salt can be incorporated to enhance the egg flavor. Hope your dinners were all you imagined. Your guests were very lucky to have the consideration made for them.

When I have vegan gustes, I prepare different kinds of salads with diverse vegetables and pastas. I have a round mandolin vegetable slicer and I can cut a lof of vegetables just in few seconds, it really makes a grate job and the gustes are happy.

When I have vegan gustes, I prepare different kinds of salads with diverse vegetables and pastas. I have a round mandolin vegetable slicer and I can cut a lof of vegetables just in few seconds, it really makes a grate job and the gustes are happy.

Back