How Walker Friendly is your neighborhood?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is really cool y'all, you will love this! (yeah twitter)
How Walker-Friendly is Your Neighborhood? Blog article here on this website with link to website[/h3]
"If anything, Walkscore is pretty good at plotting nearby amenities, although some of the distances can be a tiny bit off. "
Our score for this address at our B&B was "77 out of 100 Very Walkable" and I think quite a bit is missing from our map anyway, about 5 more restaurants to walk to, a hospital, !

we scored a 66 - some things missing including bus service, but overall it was a good map

Yes it is missing info if it is NOT in google maps I think, or google business, we have a park across the street, it showed no parks, and a hospital 2 blocks away plus 5 more restaurants, but overall it is a neat little doohicky. I added it as an embed on our site map page (for lack of anywhere else to put it!).
91 Muirford, that is cool, I sent ours to our Town Manager, if you score Very Walkable or better I would send it to them too, let them boast a little, put it in a newsletter or something. Your location is very walkable indeed!
Embed it, you can customize the size. :)

Love this site. We scored a 72, which I'm happy with. One of our highest criteria was a B&B within walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars and entertainment.

I am a big fan of walkability and our target property(now in the negotiation/financial stage) walkscore is 98.(the city harbour is 30 secs away and the beach 5 mins) When we interviewed neighbours and asked do "you have a car" they answer "yes but only use it weekends to visit inland family". The downside is that is a busy tourist area but we have stayed there for 3 weekend nights and cruised past many and different times and noise does not seem a problem.Although for a break( if that happens) I image we would need to go where people are "happy in the hills" JJ

I am a big fan of walkability and our target property(now in the negotiation/financial stage) walkscore is 98.(the city harbour is 30 secs away and the beach 5 mins) When we interviewed neighbours and asked do "you have a car" they answer "yes but only use it weekends to visit inland family". The downside is that is a busy tourist area but we have stayed there for 3 weekend nights and cruised past many and different times and noise does not seem a problem.Although for a break( if that happens) I image we would need to go where people are "happy in the hills" JJ.
Yes! We live in a busy tourist area as well and it will be ideal for your guests and you will crave the off season! The trouble is you'll get too busy to take advantage of being so close to everything! But your guests will love it and you will get away from it when you need to.

we envisage even doing our shopping at night (there are 2 of us) on foot after the guest have settled in and we have done a head count.(no shows /diet issues We are not intending to provide a lavish breakfast(but I salivate everytime I view the posted recipes).... more continental/ buffet/self serve with fresh fruits/cold meat cuts and cheeses with the usual cereals and GOOD coffee..........so there will be prep time but not a lot of cooking/baking time .....the guests also will be using the communal kitchen (well away from the Innkeepers quarters).... if they wish to stay in.....I cannot see that happening though as there are more than 50 eateries/restruants within walking distance.........kitchen and laundry facilities still looks good on the website.. Are we having ourselves on about walking (with a shopping cart) for our groceries and expendables.? JJ

NADA Walkability here. I have to get in my car and drive 2 miles so I can walk on our lovely Greenway. Take a peek here...one of my videos:)

we envisage even doing our shopping at night (there are 2 of us) on foot after the guest have settled in and we have done a head count.(no shows /diet issues We are not intending to provide a lavish breakfast(but I salivate everytime I view the posted recipes).... more continental/ buffet/self serve with fresh fruits/cold meat cuts and cheeses with the usual cereals and GOOD coffee..........so there will be prep time but not a lot of cooking/baking time .....the guests also will be using the communal kitchen (well away from the Innkeepers quarters).... if they wish to stay in.....I cannot see that happening though as there are more than 50 eateries/restruants within walking distance.........kitchen and laundry facilities still looks good on the website.. Are we having ourselves on about walking (with a shopping cart) for our groceries and expendables.? JJ.
It would depend on how many rooms you'll have (sorry if you posted that somewhere and I missed it), and if it will be just the two of you doing everything (cleaning, etc.). Most nights we are too bushed to do anything except put our feet up, but we have 9 rooms and a very long season.

NADA Walkability here. I have to get in my car and drive 2 miles so I can walk on our lovely Greenway. Take a peek here...one of my videos:).
catlady said:
NADA Walkability here. I have to get in my car and drive 2 miles so I can walk on our lovely Greenway.
I suspect Proud Texan would have a similar report! Plenty of nice walking, but definitely not to shopping and bars and restaurants.
My own location scores pretty well since it's in the heart of downtown. The only bar in town will be in my place. The only convenience store in downtown will be in my place. Maybe I need to score the walkability within my building!

Not a very walkable location here either; no sidewalks and we're 1 mile from town. However, there is a great 3 mile loop on a beautiful country road that guests love and some of the best hiking in the northeast is located 10 minutes from here.

When first reading the topic I could only think of one kind of walkers since I just got home from visiting my dad at the nursing home. Then I thought about how our street was just repaved and all the sidewalks now have fancy ramps at every street corner, we have bus service, and people are always walking by, dropping their candy wrappers and other trash in my yard... I scored a whooping 32 with 88% of places in my town with a higher score. Oh, it looks like places need to be situated with somewhere to walk to.
I don't think I'll be blogging about that, although with all the curb cuts we are the other kind of walker friendly
teeth_smile.gif

Ok, I knew I was not walker friendly at all - at least not in the sense they are referring to. (We have great, quiet roads for walking & jogging)
But I took the 'test' just to see what it would bring up. It gave me a 20 but it had a grocery store just down the street - it is actually about 1 1/2 miles away, not on my road, and a pharmacy as well... nope. It also shows 2 restaurants within a 1/2 mile but they are actuall about 1/14 miles. I guess that if they had been accurate I would be lucky to get a 10.
This would be a neat feature, for some B&B's, if it was accurate, but it is not.

I hear ya Innkeep. I read it as that first too, and thought that was a funny term for "Retirement capital" or something. I do have a retirement page on the website.
shades_smile.gif

I can't even imagine living in an area with higher then 75. as I live in a very busy area of Rio and don't own a car. The BnB scored a 65 which is probably pretty good as we live in a car society there.

I can't even imagine living in an area with higher then 75. as I live in a very busy area of Rio and don't own a car. The BnB scored a 65 which is probably pretty good as we live in a car society there..
As I mentioned, we scored a 91. We have restaurants, an independent movie theater, an independent bookstore, live music, banks, locally-owned shops (although what they categorize as a grocery store is a little sparse) and coffee shops within three or four blocks of the inn. Unless you ate every meal out, you would still need to own a car, but if I don't have to go grocery shopping I can leave my car parked for days at a time.

I can't even imagine living in an area with higher then 75. as I live in a very busy area of Rio and don't own a car. The BnB scored a 65 which is probably pretty good as we live in a car society there..
As I mentioned, we scored a 91. We have restaurants, an independent movie theater, an independent bookstore, live music, banks, locally-owned shops (although what they categorize as a grocery store is a little sparse) and coffee shops within three or four blocks of the inn. Unless you ate every meal out, you would still need to own a car, but if I don't have to go grocery shopping I can leave my car parked for days at a time.
muirford said:
BLOG IT BABY!

Back