Hurricane warning-yes, for Maine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll bet that up there in Maine, you don’t have hurricane shutters. If not, and you’re in the path of this storm, you should cover your windows with 5/8" plywood sheeting (exterior CDX grade) if you still have time. Is this a Cat 1 storm?
Bring in everything that can, and likely will, become a missile – patio furniture, patio carpet, plants, flags, satellite dishes, signs, etc. Yes, the inside of your house will likely be a wreck with all the outside stuff being inside. When I have to prep for a storm, I can barely walk through here. Bring your cars into the garage if you have one (everybody has a garage up north, don’t they?). During Hurricane Andrew (Cat 5), uprooted palm trees were seen blowing through the air horizontally like lawn darts! Your storm won't be that bad, but all those unrooted things outside can become missiles, perhaps right through your windows.
It very common for lots of tornadoes to be spawned during a hurricane, so if you’ve got a basement, good for you! Set up a place down there to go - put a battery operated radio down there and battery operated TV if you have one. And tools - in case you have to cut your way out in the event of real wind damage or a tornado. First aid kit, water, blankets, flashlights and LOTS of batteries. I keep about 100 batteries on hand. When I had a house in Ohio, I kept a tornado room always in the "ready position" so in the event I heard sirens, I just grabbed the cat and ran.
If you have a pool, drain it down a foot or two. The torrential rains will over flow it if it’s already full and that extra water could flow into your house - they do in Florida anyway - it's flat here.

I’ll bet that up there in Maine, you don’t have hurricane shutters. If not, and you’re in the path of this storm, you should cover your windows with 5/8" plywood sheeting (exterior CDX grade) if you still have time. Is this a Cat 1 storm?
Bring in everything that can, and likely will, become a missile – patio furniture, patio carpet, plants, flags, satellite dishes, signs, etc. Yes, the inside of your house will likely be a wreck with all the outside stuff being inside. When I have to prep for a storm, I can barely walk through here. Bring your cars into the garage if you have one (everybody has a garage up north, don’t they?). During Hurricane Andrew (Cat 5), uprooted palm trees were seen blowing through the air horizontally like lawn darts! Your storm won't be that bad, but all those unrooted things outside can become missiles, perhaps right through your windows.
It very common for lots of tornadoes to be spawned during a hurricane, so if you’ve got a basement, good for you! Set up a place down there to go - put a battery operated radio down there and battery operated TV if you have one. And tools - in case you have to cut your way out in the event of real wind damage or a tornado. First aid kit, water, blankets, flashlights and LOTS of batteries. I keep about 100 batteries on hand. When I had a house in Ohio, I kept a tornado room always in the "ready position" so in the event I heard sirens, I just grabbed the cat and ran.
If you have a pool, drain it down a foot or two. The torrential rains will over flow it if it’s already full and that extra water could flow into your house - they do in Florida anyway - it's flat here..
I don't think it's headed this way any longer. It looks like it's veering out to sea and will most likely hit NS instead.

Just stay in the interior away from windows. It is the rain that will be the worst for you as you have had rain and the roots of the big trees are saturated. They will topple if given too much rain and wind.
PS the only hurricane I have experienced I was in Morristown New Jersey. I was on the subway in NYC when they closed them down and had to get out of the city back to Morristown to my hotel.
I had a once a year very important mandatory class to take back in Seattle and Newark was closed for days as the roads were flooded, I couldn't even get a cab. The restaurants were all boarded up, so I ate hotel food for three days. AWFUL..
The trees are my biggest worry. I know from previous storms that they are pretty shallow rooted - and we're surrounded by them - BIG ones too.
I've battened down all the hatches, all the storm windows are in place, all the outdoor furniture is away, the signs are down, the lamps and flashlights are all in working order .....
The forecast is definitely improving for this area of the coast, and hopefully for SS too. I know we've had stronger sustained winds and gusts with our winter storms, so I'm hoping this isn't too horrendous. Right now, flooding looks to be the biggest problem. We're on a hill but the store is down at the bottom, right by the tidal river.
Would also love to hear from our PEI and other Maritime folks - they're the ones I'm most concerned about.
Keep us posted!

If you have a pool, drain it down a foot or two. The torrential rains will over flow it if it’s already full and that extra water could flow into your house - they do in Florida anyway - it's flat here..
I don't think it's headed this way any longer. It looks like it's veering out to sea and will most likely hit NS instead.
Weather channel says you all will be getting alot of rain and some wind..but probably no worse than a bad nor'easter

Bree said:
If it headed inland then you would have the eastern tornadic side, so good deal. Keep us posted. Have to watch NASCAR in Kansas now...

Bree said:
If it headed inland then you would have the eastern tornadic side, so good deal. Keep us posted. Have to watch NASCAR in Kansas now...
ME tooo...I just wish they would get it started..all this pre race stuff ..grrrrrrr

Just checking in with everyone in ME. I hope all is well with you and your properties. Is there anyone on here from NS or PEI?
Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Just checking in with everyone in ME. I hope all is well with you and your properties. Is there anyone on here from NS or PEI?
Thoughts and prayers are with you..
Still looking good, rain is stopping. It looks like it's tracking easterly now, toward NS. The hurricane warnings have been discontinued for Maine but are up for NS.

Thoughts and prayers are with you..
Still looking good, rain is stopping. It looks like it's tracking easterly now, toward NS. The hurricane warnings have been discontinued for Maine but are up for NS.
Bree said:
I just emailed you about this. AWAY WITH YOU KYLE!

it is because i hauled all kinds of stuff into the barn ... now will have to haul it back out again! oh well.

Rule is...if you haul it all inside and take every precaution you can, the storm won't come. Happens to me all the time, and I'm OK with those odds. I'm too scared of the "what if" if I don't prep. If that's all it takes to keep the storms away, I'll be more than happy to move it all inside and move the boat to the hurricane hole very time! So far, every time I've prepped and moved, the storm when elsewhere. And I don't mind that at all!

Missed us completely. Looks like blue skies trying to break out now.

Back