I cancel you cancel we cancel

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, put yourself in their shoes (although I know you are wearing the "this is my livelihood shoes"
Personally I would have said that (1) IF they send you a copy of the death cert AND (2) that you can resell the rooms then you would refund them
If it were me and this was a lot of money I was laying out for a special time AND I had to deal with a death at the same time I would find it pretty hard.
I can only speak for myself here, but a few times a year I book hotel rooms for business trips and every room I book (online) requires payment in full up front and non-refundable. If something comes up that prevents me from taking my trip, I know the money for the hotel is gone. To me, non-refundable means exactly that, and I'd fully expect them to say no if I asked for a refund.
thing is that hacks me off (means makes me cross) if we were a big chain they would not expect the money but because we are the little guy they think they are entitled. why one rule for them one for us? more and more people I know are charging in full on point of booking and for busy times it is non refundable (ie special event/conference) I can certainly see their point of view.
thing is that hacks me off (means makes me cross)
Thanks for the translation :) but being "hacked off" is very common in America. Don't we ever use any expressions that YOU aren't familiar with? Maybe not, due to all the TV and movies we export to the UK.
if we were a big chain they would not expect the money but because we are the little guy they think they are entitled.
Exactly! All the places where I pay up front, non-refundable, are big chains, and I've always gotten their lowest rate in exchange for it being non-refundable.

Good for you sticking to your policys. I truly mean that.
They all have to learn we cannot keep rolling over. We are small business and things like that hurt us deeply..
Flower said:
They all have to learn we cannot keep rolling over. We are small business and things like that hurt us deeply.
Yes, it does hurt. It IS FOOD from our table. It does impact us paying the bills. People gripe about lack of maintenance on an old inn, but we need to have the $ to do it all, everything we have we pour back into these old mansions. and that is never done, it is on a permanent rotation.
More and more inns are closing up shop, people don't really give a rip.
It's a very difficult one when you get the old "x has died" phone call. Is it true or not, can't really call them on it, although I have been tempted to say "What again?" on more than one occasion.
We had a booking from a lady in July for 3 nights, she phoned a month before and said she couldn't come. As she'd been before and I knew that time of year I'd be able to re-let the rooms I agreed to carry her deposit over to a stay in October instead. AT the time I thought it was a good deal, I re-let the room in July and I get a 3 night booking for late October which is a quiet time of year.
But of course she phoned this week with the "I've got to go into hospital for an operation" line and I felt obliged to carry to deposit over to next year as I'd done it once alread. But I'm starting to get hacked off, I've no reason to think she's not genuine but how many times does she expect me to do this.
Highlands John said:
It's a very difficult one when you get the old "x has died" phone call. Is it true or not, can't really call them on it, although I have been tempted to say "What again?" on more than one occasion.
We had a booking from a lady in July for 3 nights, she phoned a month before and said she couldn't come. As she'd been before and I knew that time of year I'd be able to re-let the rooms I agreed to carry her deposit over to a stay in October instead. AT the time I thought it was a good deal, I re-let the room in July and I get a 3 night booking for late October which is a quiet time of year.
But of course she phoned this week with the "I've got to go into hospital for an operation" line and I felt obliged to carry to deposit over to next year as I'd done it once alread. But I'm starting to get hacked off, I've no reason to think she's not genuine but how many times does she expect me to do this.
There are always excuses.And they are getting better and better. My latest "No Show" used the excuse that he never received any of my 2 confirmation letters.....right...
I would put into my policies that you can only extend the carry overs x amount of times, then they will go away.
mooseberry said:
Highlands John said:
There are always excuses.And they are getting better and better. My latest "No Show" used the excuse that he never received any of my 2 confirmation letters.....right...
Not the same circumstance, but I've had a couple of people this year use the "we never received the confirmation" excuse. Like when they turn up early before the rooms are ready.
Next time I update our website somewhere I will put in "We always send a confirmation of your booking, if you have not received one in 24 hours please contact us". I've also got into the habit of telling people this when they book over the phone. Not least becuase it's so easy to mis-type an email address.
However, in your defence, if I made a booking and gave someone my card details I wouldn't assume because I didn't receive a confirmation that the booking hadn't been made.
Highlands John said:
Next time I update our website somewhere I will put in "We always send a confirmation of your booking, if you have not received one in 24 hours please contact us". I've also got into the habit of telling people this when they book over the phone. Not least becuase it's so easy to mis-type an email address.
Excellent thought! That certainly needs to be included. Most won't read it, of course, but having it there makes it easier for you to stick to your cancellation policy.

They all have to learn we cannot keep rolling over. We are small business and things like that hurt us deeply..
Flower said:
They all have to learn we cannot keep rolling over. We are small business and things like that hurt us deeply.
Yes, it does hurt. It IS FOOD from our table. It does impact us paying the bills. People gripe about lack of maintenance on an old inn, but we need to have the $ to do it all, everything we have we pour back into these old mansions. and that is never done, it is on a permanent rotation.
Highlands John said:
I would put into my policies that you can only extend the carry overs x amount of times, then they will go away.
mooseberry said:
Highlands John said:
Not the same circumstance, but I've had a couple of people this year use the "we never received the confirmation" excuse. Like when they turn up early before the rooms are ready.
However, in your defence, if I made a booking and gave someone my card details I wouldn't assume because I didn't receive a confirmation that the booking hadn't been made.
The last page of our online rez form states the confirmation will be sent within 24 hours. Please call if if is not received. I just added a line that tells AOL users that the confirm WILL be found in their spam folder, sorry, we cannot control this issue with AOL.
How many AOL guests call and say they never received their confirm? 100%. I ask about the spam folder, they don't know what I'm talking about. (Apparently, it is called a 'Junk' folder, so I have to change the wording.)

Flower said:
Highlands John said:
mooseberry said:
Highlands John said:
The last page of our online rez form states the confirmation will be sent within 24 hours. Please call if if is not received. I just added a line that tells AOL users that the confirm WILL be found in their spam folder, sorry, we cannot control this issue with AOL.
How many AOL guests call and say they never received their confirm? 100%. I ask about the spam folder, they don't know what I'm talking about. (Apparently, it is called a 'Junk' folder, so I have to change the wording.)
Alibi Ike said:
Since I routinely check my spam/junk folder to make sure good stuff wasn't routed there, I'm beginning to question the usefulness of these folders. They may be causing more problems and wasted time than they're worth. (speaking as general public, not as an innkeeper)

Flower said:
Highlands John said:
mooseberry said:
Highlands John said:
I also check my Junk Mail Folder (Outlook calls it Junk also) and it is a good thing. The 2-couples for 4-nights inn-to-inn package started out in y junk file. I am SOOOOOO glad I read it. the $$$$ were fantastic and people were even better!

Flower said:
Highlands John said:
mooseberry said:
Highlands John said:
Happened again last night. Email from guest stating they never rec'd confirmation sent 3 months ago. I reply back to that email (knowing full well they're not going to get it), resend both confirmations and make a note to call today.
Email this morning saying they rec'd one of the two confirms and where's the other one?
As I go to call this morning, she's emailing again. I explain the whole AOL debacle and she checks her spam/junk folder and lo and behold LOOK at all the emails she's missed! From me, from friends & family. She's ecstastic!

Flower said:
Highlands John said:
mooseberry said:
Highlands John said:
Happened again last night. Email from guest stating they never rec'd confirmation sent 3 months ago. I reply back to that email (knowing full well they're not going to get it), resend both confirmations and make a note to call today.
Email this morning saying they rec'd one of the two confirms and where's the other one?
As I go to call this morning, she's emailing again. I explain the whole AOL debacle and she checks her spam/junk folder and lo and behold LOOK at all the emails she's missed! From me, from friends & family. She's ecstastic!
thumbs_up.gif
Innkeepers tutoring on Email 101.

I explain the whole AOL debacle and she checks her spam/junk folder and lo and behold LOOK at all the emails she's missed! From me, from friends & family. She's ecstatic!
smileystooges.gif

Back