I found you on the internet!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, so we're located in a rural area. I just have to shake my head when a guest asks "how do people find you?" Uhhhhhh......the same way you did?!?!?!?!?!?!.
Breakfast Diva said:
ok, so we're located in a rural area. I just have to shake my head when a guest asks "how do people find you?" Uhhhhhh......the same way you did?!?!?!?!?!?!
I get this ALL the time! People are so proud of themselves for finding a "hidden gem", you'd think they discovered a worm hole to another universe of something. Too funny.
And people in our own town do not know we exist! Go figure.
gillumhouse said:
Other than magnetic signs on our car, we don't even market locally. Where we have benefitted has been through networking with businesses that compliment ours and by trading links with them on our website.
We get a lot of referrals by these exchanged links. We don't do print ads. They're expensive and mostly worthless.
Over the years we have been written up in the local weekly many, many times and in the local daily also. We have been on TV, I wear my Gillum House apron when I go to the store - where many have noticed it to say, I didn't know.... I am a walking billboard (right size too!).
I used to do an ad in the yearbook at the high school as a donation, put an ad in the football program that was a coupon for $10 off, no more wasting money locally.
gillumhouse said:
Over the years we have been written up in the local weekly many, many times and in the local daily also. We have been on TV, I wear my Gillum House apron when I go to the store - where many have noticed it to say, I didn't know.... I am a walking billboard (right size too!).
I used to do an ad in the yearbook at the high school as a donation, put an ad in the football program that was a coupon for $10 off, no more wasting money locally.
I kept getting asked for "donations" or to "buy ads" by local school entities and finally came up with a solution that got them to quit calling. I told them that if they would advertise our B&B in their programs for free, that I would donate $10 for every reservation that I received as a result of their ad. I did this by providing a promotional code.
To date, I have never received a single reservation from that campaign. I have also never been asked for another donation. If they have to put out any effort to get the money for their cause, their need suddenly becomes less dire.
What they want is a handout. Not happening. Quid Pro Quo!
PT,
W h a t a good idea. I will follow suit. I would be happy to give the local clubs the $10 off the top, if a booking should happen from the ad.
We do some hyperlocal donations to organizations in our tiny community. Our chamber seems to only recognize the county seat.
In our County, the County Seat and the snooty city next to it are always fighting with each other and too busy to promote anything except themselves. The north end of the County (us) and the south end may as well not exist. Previous School Board was the same - that is why the middle school our kids have to attend has mold problems among other things. It was supposed to be replaced and the
potty-mouth.gif
s lied to us to get a levy passed. New Board elected - but the previous spent most of the funds on hand before they left - on the schools in the snooty city.
Snooty City has big bucks people living there for the address - they are NOT nice neighbors (the City gvt I mean). Neither of them do anything for MY City. And the County Chamber is controlled but snooty city even though headquartered in County Seat.

ok, so we're located in a rural area. I just have to shake my head when a guest asks "how do people find you?" Uhhhhhh......the same way you did?!?!?!?!?!?!.
Breakfast Diva said:
ok, so we're located in a rural area. I just have to shake my head when a guest asks "how do people find you?" Uhhhhhh......the same way you did?!?!?!?!?!?!
I get this ALL the time! People are so proud of themselves for finding a "hidden gem", you'd think they discovered a worm hole to another universe of something. Too funny.
I'm trying vary hard to make this the most over-exposed, publicly know "hidden gem" I can.
confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
I'm trying vary hard to make this the most over-exposed, publicly know "hidden gem" I can.
confused_smile.gif
I hear that!!
When we first bought the b&b, the previous marketing included "Shhhhhh.....It's a secret hideaway..."
Are you kidding me? Don't keep it a secret! Yell it to all your friends! Tell everybody or we won't be in business! Believe me, we got rid of that Shhhhhh...quickly!
Another part of their marketing was "making marriage memories..." That was probably fine in the good old days, but not any longer. We love making memories for everyone now.

Breakfast Diva said:
confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
I hear that!!
When we first bought the b&b, the previous marketing included "Shhhhhh.....It's a secret hideaway..."
Are you kidding me? Don't keep it a secret! Yell it to all your friends! Tell everybody or we won't be in business! Believe me, we got rid of that Shhhhhh...quickly!
Another part of their marketing was "making marriage memories..." That was probably fine in the good old days, but not any longer. We love making memories for everyone now.
Breakfast Diva said:
Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
Being married and loving the good old days, and old fashioned as they come, I don't like that either, I don't like anything so pin-pointed like that, like B&B's are only for one purpose.
How about LET US SERVE YOU BREAKFAST, how about RELAX TOGETHER, how about ESCAPE THE MAYHEM AND MADNESS, I don't know, I think people were very limited in their marketing years ago. They just weren't very creative, it's a big world out there, full of all sorts of people, all sorts of getaways... I want people here for everything under the sun. I guess what I am saying is I want happy guests who innjoy staying with us!
This is the task we have, innmates, to make our inns a welcoming place, to innvite people to experience today's B&B's...however we have them, that is what it is. Our inn, our style, antiqued, modern, central, woodsy, whatever.

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
Other than magnetic signs on our car, we don't even market locally. Where we have benefitted has been through networking with businesses that compliment ours and by trading links with them on our website.
We get a lot of referrals by these exchanged links. We don't do print ads. They're expensive and mostly worthless.
gillumhouse said:
I kept getting asked for "donations" or to "buy ads" by local school entities and finally came up with a solution that got them to quit calling. I told them that if they would advertise our B&B in their programs for free, that I would donate $10 for every reservation that I received as a result of their ad. I did this by providing a promotional code.
To date, I have never received a single reservation from that campaign. I have also never been asked for another donation. If they have to put out any effort to get the money for their cause, their need suddenly becomes less dire.
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Putting their money where their mouth is, I like it PT! I will make a note of this and keep on my desk, I get so many, they will argue it tho, of course. but thanks for this.
I don't give to anything I don't believe in personally its all rubbish and local business near me will only book their people into hotels so anything I do pretty much falls on deaf ears! However I am working hard on the christmas projects and promotion because I can realistically see them making us all a ton of money if we can effectively pull it off! (please all like my facebook fan page www.facebook.com/harrogateatchristmas) as it would be amazingly helpful for SEO! though I appreciate not many of you will be attending the actual events!

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Putting their money where their mouth is, I like it PT! I will make a note of this and keep on my desk, I get so many, they will argue it tho, of course. but thanks for this.
I don't give to anything I don't believe in personally its all rubbish and local business near me will only book their people into hotels so anything I do pretty much falls on deaf ears! However I am working hard on the christmas projects and promotion because I can realistically see them making us all a ton of money if we can effectively pull it off! (please all like my facebook fan page www.facebook.com/harrogateatchristmas) as it would be amazingly helpful for SEO! though I appreciate not many of you will be attending the actual events!
Done, Cambs!
I keep asking my dh when we're going back to England. (His company has an office in Knaresborough) He tells me there is a slim chance this Fall/Winter!
I
heart.gif
the UK...

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
done. Took a while - rain with laundry on line interrupted and then I lost track of what I was doing!

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Done, Cambs!
I keep asking my dh when we're going back to England. (His company has an office in Knaresborough) He tells me there is a slim chance this Fall/Winter!
I
heart.gif
the UK...
you'll have to come and stay with us! Knares is only about 5 miles away!

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
A similar solution works with all these people that phone up and say they can put us on their brand new amazing website and we'll be innundated with bookings for just $99 a year.
I tell them if their website is so amazing give me a 3 month free trial and if we're getting sufficient web traffic from them we'll take out a subscription.

Breakfast Diva said:
confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
I hear that!!
Breakfast Diva said:
Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
Being married and loving the good old days, and old fashioned as they come, I don't like that either, I don't like anything so pin-pointed like that, like B&B's are only for one purpose.
How about LET US SERVE YOU BREAKFAST, how about RELAX TOGETHER, how about ESCAPE THE MAYHEM AND MADNESS, I don't know, I think people were very limited in their marketing years ago. They just weren't very creative, it's a big world out there, full of all sorts of people, all sorts of getaways... I want people here for everything under the sun. I guess what I am saying is I want happy guests who innjoy staying with us!
This is the task we have, innmates, to make our inns a welcoming place, to innvite people to experience today's B&B's...however we have them, that is what it is. Our inn, our style, antiqued, modern, central, woodsy, whatever.
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
I agree with you mostly. Be who you are.
However, some people lack imagination and you can, through proper marketing, "suggest" for what purposes a B&B could be used. We do call ourselves a "couple's getaway" because we don't allow kids. Then through our packages we suggest romance, adventure, shopping etc. etc. In other words, it helps to plant the idea and make them think it was theirs. We don't present ourselves as anything other than what we are and just state this is a good place to do all that other stuff.

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
A similar solution works with all these people that phone up and say they can put us on their brand new amazing website and we'll be innundated with bookings for just $99 a year.
I tell them if their website is so amazing give me a 3 month free trial and if we're getting sufficient web traffic from them we'll take out a subscription.
Highlands John said:
I recently got a call from I luv innnnnns. I tried them for 1 year about 4 years ago. Nothing. They're now calling saying they have done all the fancy new stuff, try us again. I told them to give me a 6 month free trial to see if I got anything and of course we all know how that went over. LOLOL

Back