I give up.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bree, I KNOW FOR A FACT that we all attract diff clientele from diff areas. Our places, our locations, it all plays into it.
IE NOONE comes here to shop, ever ever ever.
Sure some of us swap em around and get the same sort of guests while they tour the US or east coast, but there is, without a doubt, a diff demographic and lifestyle, manners between a large city say BOSTON guest who stays with you and a small town southerner.
Therefore how we operate is also different. When the guest here on her fling-a-ding-ding in her convertable mercedes coupe pointed to me and said "is this REAL maple syrup" I walked away like I did not hear her. Her pouting lips, boob job, lifted brows, tightened neck, all of it was NOT MY FAVORITE GUEST,
We rarely have those guests. They would be on the p.i.t.a. alert..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree, I KNOW FOR A FACT that we all attract diff clientele from diff areas. Our places, our locations, it all plays into it.
I will say that both guests this AM who did not want the 'full meal deal' were from MA. The folks the other day who did not eat at all for 3 mornings? PA & TX. The guests with the buffet breakfast who didn't eat? All NY & NJ. The guests who could not wait 15 minutes and went out to eat? Canada.
Tomorrow is MA, Canada & VA (mostly VA)...I'll let you know how it goes! They were all notified at check-in what was for breakfast. No one said boo about any of it. No one claimed any dietary restrictions when they booked.

Sure some of us swap em around and get the same sort of guests while they tour the US or east coast, but there is, without a doubt, a diff demographic and lifestyle, manners between a large city say BOSTON guest who stays with you and a small town southerner.
Therefore how we operate is also different. When the guest here on her fling-a-ding-ding in her convertable mercedes coupe pointed to me and said "is this REAL maple syrup" I walked away like I did not hear her. Her pouting lips, boob job, lifted brows, tightened neck, all of it was NOT MY FAVORITE GUEST,
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I will say that both guests this AM who did not want the 'full meal deal' were from MA. The folks the other day who did not eat at all for 3 mornings? PA & TX. The guests with the buffet breakfast who didn't eat? All NY & NJ. The guests who could not wait 15 minutes and went out to eat? Canada.
Tomorrow is MA, Canada & VA (mostly VA)...I'll let you know how it goes! They were all notified at check-in what was for breakfast. No one said boo about any of it. No one claimed any dietary restrictions when they booked.
If we ever make it up there, we'll eat it all, and so will our kids.
=)
Kk.

I am not saying that anything shy of having a full restaurant would work 100% of the time, just saying to try something different to see if it works better. I have changed some of my ways because of this group to see if it works better.
I have had some lite eaters over the past 10 years but all in all most of the comments we get in our guests book or in reviews rave over the breakfast.
Lets look at another purspective. Ask yourself these questions: Could the guests have different expectations about your breakfast due to the way it is described on your website? Could I do a better job at describing what or how I serve? We have altered our website several times due to a guest stating that they read something differently than what we intended. (misinterpatation) Thankfully it has all been minor stuff.
Or another idea - (would require more planning but possibly could work) Provide the guests a order card that they complete and turn in by x time before bed. You then would have just what they want and how much they want (like the diabetic - toast guy). This may also limit the waste.
Or if your table seating is such you could serve 'family style'. Then what is left over could be for your breakfast since it was not plated.
I know you say you can't change so maybe I am beating a dead horse but I am just throwing out ideas and believe me I am not beating my head against the keyboard - just my fat little fingers that could use the excersise..
Copperhead said:
Lets look at another purspective. Ask yourself these questions: Could the guests have different expectations about your breakfast due to the way it is described on your website? Could I do a better job at describing what or how I serve? We have altered our website several times due to a guest stating that they read something differently than what we intended. (misinterpatation) Thankfully it has all been minor stuff.
Or another idea - (would require more planning but possibly could work) Provide the guests a order card that they complete and turn in by x time before bed. You then would have just what they want and how much they want (like the diabetic - toast guy). This may also limit the waste.
Or if your table seating is such you could serve 'family style'. Then what is left over could be for your breakfast since it was not plated.
I thought about the order cards but hubs needs to shop in the afternoon so he needs to have a breakfast in mind before he goes out. So, I make up the breakfast based on the dietary restrictions we've been told about. And lately I've been doing that a week in advance. He still shops everyday for the next day's breakfast, but he just needs to look at the sheet to know how many guests and what to make. And what restrictions there are, even tho the menu is made up already.
Our seating is individual tables that would not hold 'platters' and I wouldn't eat the leftovers anyway.
tounge_smile.gif

All of the breakfast pix show 'bread' type breakfasts (because meat does not photograph all that well without a bit of work). Breakfast as quoted on my website is below and this is the last change, made last year when all the same problems arose except that guests thought we would just serve them what they asked for if they couldn't eat what we planned. (NO idea why they thought THAT, we NEVER say we'll cook what you want unless you're a long time guest and we know well in advance. And that's limited to scrambled eggs.) The wife of the diabetic guest this morning specifically asked when she booked if we were the B&B that would work with dietary issues. I told her we do our best and what issue was there. When she said 'diabetic' I thought about what we usually serve, trying to avoid a lot of carbs, and that was quiche. What I should have done was ask HER if quiche would work. If not, then what does he eat and see if we could work that into something everyone would eat.
But, this same scenario has happened multiple times before. A vegan who went back to being a carnivore before arriving and never mentioned it. Guests who are delighted with whatever I say we can make (gluten-free pancakes as an example, so everyone is eating similar-looking food) who arrive and suddenly don't want that or decide they are no longer gluten intolerant when they see the 'real' pancakes.
Which is why hubs hates the whole 'dietary restrictions' thing. I'm with him in that 75% of the time it is not CANNOT eat it it is DON'T WANT to eat it.
I'd like to ask guests what they eat but I've heard horror stories of $5/pint goat's milk and other mondo bizarro things I just am not buying. I'm not quite 'take it or leave it' but I'm also not buying foods I can't use up before they go bad.
Anyway, what it says on my site about breakfast...
We serve a full, hot breakfast every morning. Breakfast is 'cook's choice' . To help us prepare a breakfast you will enjoy, please tell us when booking of ANY dietary restrictions you may have. Many of our breakfasts are casserole-style creations that cannot be changed in the morning, but can be adapted if we know before your arrival! Dietary restrictions include things like no sugar for diabetics, allergies to eggs or milk, religious restrictions on pork and shellfish, no meat for vegetarians, etc.
We do our best to prepare a delicious breakfast for all of our guests. There are times, however, when we cannot meet all dietary restrictions. For those times we have a variety of cereals, yogurt, granola and whole wheat toast.

Well - it is not your web discription. I think that is VERY well done. IMHO
I am at a loss!

I am at a loss!.
Copperhead said:
I am at a loss!
Thanks. That's the tame version. I wrote the harridan version after just one too many 'I can't eat that, can I have this instead' mornings when no one mentioned restrictions either at booking or when told what breakfast was going to be.
It's the silly seaon here anyway. Everyone is 'on vacation' and not acting sensible. I heard the sound of furniture being dragged around in one room. Can't WAIT to get int there tomorrow...

I am at a loss!.
Copperhead said:
I am at a loss!
Thanks. That's the tame version. I wrote the harridan version after just one too many 'I can't eat that, can I have this instead' mornings when no one mentioned restrictions either at booking or when told what breakfast was going to be.
It's the silly seaon here anyway. Everyone is 'on vacation' and not acting sensible. I heard the sound of furniture being dragged around in one room. Can't WAIT to get int there tomorrow...
Diabetic doesn't understand nutrition & his disease. Case closed.
If you know that you're not going to change how you do brekkie, then you need to accept what you have to deal with. It is what it is
regular_smile.gif

We all hate to waste food but people don't care. Next time you eat out, take a gander at how much food is left on the diners plates...then you'll feel better. Or you can pack up the leftovers on your guests plates & send it to China...oh, wait...that was when we were kids. haha!

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
OK, so here's how it went...MA and Canada and most of VA had the full breakfast. One VA only wanted the sausage, no FT.

I had a caller last night who left a message asking about breakfast. Said she read this she read that but did not see a DESCRIPTION of what was for breakfast. What was IN the breakfast.
OI VEIGH!
I told another here I was not going to call her back, it was like a red flag. Well I did, of course, after breakfast this morning. I thought she might be vegan or something requiring a special meal...
NOPE. Just wanted to know she would get a nice hot breakfast as had stayed at too many B&B's where she got a muffin or cold continental. So - the discussion went on and on and she kept me on the line for quite a while talking B&B breakfasts.
I mentioned an innkeeper in maine who has a photo of a waffle on her website and guests are discouraged that they don't get waffles.
She also said, is it her 20th wedding anniversary and she wanted to make sure we are not the kind of innkeepers who follow you around and are in your business all the time. Like she has experienced too often. Nice innkeepers, too chatty or in your business.
Again, had a good discussion on that topic as well.
She is booking for end of August.
See there is a stigma...we have to read our guests so well. Some EXPECT the song and dance, and others want privacy, it is a fine line. Innkeepers need to be mind-readers.

I had a caller last night who left a message asking about breakfast. Said she read this she read that but did not see a DESCRIPTION of what was for breakfast. What was IN the breakfast.
OI VEIGH!
I told another here I was not going to call her back, it was like a red flag. Well I did, of course, after breakfast this morning. I thought she might be vegan or something requiring a special meal...
NOPE. Just wanted to know she would get a nice hot breakfast as had stayed at too many B&B's where she got a muffin or cold continental. So - the discussion went on and on and she kept me on the line for quite a while talking B&B breakfasts.
I mentioned an innkeeper in maine who has a photo of a waffle on her website and guests are discouraged that they don't get waffles.
She also said, is it her 20th wedding anniversary and she wanted to make sure we are not the kind of innkeepers who follow you around and are in your business all the time. Like she has experienced too often. Nice innkeepers, too chatty or in your business.
See there is a stigma...we have to read our guests so well. Some EXPECT the song and dance, and others want privacy, it is a fine line. Innkeepers need to be mind-readers..
How about just putting a few "sample menus" on your site. That would give folks an idea and might save you some time. Here's what I did for a Friend's Site

OI VEIGH!
See there is a stigma...we have to read our guests so well. Some EXPECT the song and dance, and others want privacy, it is a fine line. Innkeepers need to be mind-readers..
How about just putting a few "sample menus" on your site. That would give folks an idea and might save you some time. Here's what I did for a Friend's Site
catlady said:
I have thought about it and it is on the list for down the road.
Hey CL, that is very cute, do they put the crown on for spec ocassions? Cute.

OI VEIGH!
catlady said:
I had that at the very beginning. My first attempt at the breakfast page had a sample menu for each season. You know what that gets you, right?
'Do you serve the same thing everyday?' (Horrified voice)
'Why didn't we get the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins you said were on the menu in October?' (Indignant voice)
Today's caller wanted to know what time we served the continental breakfast? I kept telling her it was a full, plated, served breakfast, not fend for yourself. I don't know how many times I said it before she finally said, 'Oh, a full breakfast, how nice.'

OI VEIGH!
catlady said:
I have thought about it and it is on the list for down the road.
Hey CL, that is very cute, do they put the crown on for spec ocassions? Cute.
YEP, birthdays and anniversaries. I thought it was a little bit too much..but the guest seemed to like it..OH well.

Back