I may be done...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And another thing, you have to check your soaps and shampoos, etc. if you offer handmade soaps, you better make sure there are no ingredients, like oats or chemicals in soap making derived from products that contain wheat, Alcohols, etc, these things can cause the same reactions and skin reactions in these people..
AND toothpastes!!! There are commercial ones out there that contain gluten......
inncogneeto said:
And another thing, you have to check your soaps and shampoos, etc. if you offer handmade soaps, you better make sure there are no ingredients, like oats or chemicals in soap making derived from products that contain wheat, Alcohols, etc, these things can cause the same reactions and skin reactions in these people..
AND toothpastes!!! There are commercial ones out there that contain gluten.....
Ridiculous. STAY AWAY FROM MY B&B if you are like this.
Most people with special dietary needs are so considerate, they usually bring along their own "staples" because they don't want to be a bother...but all it takes is one PITA to give all the others a bad name!
I find this statement to be false. In my experience (here), they are not considerate. They demand a special diet. Very few have said "Don't worry about it we bring our own" including Vegans. I cannot even buy organic cereal without whey. So it is tough here. We are not in the city where we can shop like that.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I find this statement to be false. In my experience (here), they are not considerate. They demand a special diet. Very few have said "Don't worry about it we bring our own" including Vegans. I cannot even buy organic cereal without whey. So it is tough here. We are not in the city where we can shop like that.
You wouldn't do it even if the health food store was on the corner.
wink_smile.gif
None of us would. (OK, some of us would.) I have had maybe 2-3 guests in 4 years say they would bring their own food when they have restrictions. Everyone else expects us to whip up a great breakfast just for them. Where the hell they eat lunch & dinner, I don't know.
I have/had a guest who only eats a certain brand of plain yogurt (no dairy). That goes along with the scrambled eggs (plain) and corn muffins (no sugar, no wheat) that she will eat. The first day of her last trip here I fed her the special breakfast and her husband and 'visiting' son the breakfast everyone else got. THEN the husband and son asked for HER meal as well. 3 days of that. So, free meal for son for 3 days (6 breakfasts) and 6 breakfasts for her husband.
She calls to tell me she'll be late and runs down the entire list of foods she's been eating on the road to stay awake. You got it...chocolate, sugar, candy bars, lattes. That dietary thing is a punishment she inflicts on herself for whatever bizarro reason.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
None of us would. (OK, some of us would.) I have had maybe 2-3 guests
She calls to tell me she'll be late and runs down the entire list of foods she's been eating on the road to stay awake. You got it...chocolate, sugar, candy bars, lattes. That dietary thing is a punishment she inflicts on herself for whatever bizarro reason.
If it was on the corner I would be guilted into bypassing McDonalds, and that would ruin the economy of our town!

AND toothpastes!!! There are commercial ones out there that contain gluten......
inncogneeto said:
Most people with special dietary needs are so considerate, they usually bring along their own "staples" because they don't want to be a bother...but all it takes is one PITA to give all the others a bad name!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
None of us would. (OK, some of us would.) I have had maybe 2-3 guests in 4 years say they would bring their own food when they have restrictions. Everyone else expects us to whip up a great breakfast just for them. Where the hell they eat lunch & dinner, I don't know.
I have/had a guest who only eats a certain brand of plain yogurt (no dairy). That goes along with the scrambled eggs (plain) and corn muffins (no sugar, no wheat) that she will eat. The first day of her last trip here I fed her the special breakfast and her husband and 'visiting' son the breakfast everyone else got. THEN the husband and son asked for HER meal as well. 3 days of that. So, free meal for son for 3 days (6 breakfasts) and 6 breakfasts for her husband.
This is one I think I would no longer cater to. If she can eat that, why would I knock my socks off with ll the special stuff? UNLESS she comes often and then revenue beats pique!
Actually, I think she's done here. But everytime I say that she calls and makes a rez. She gets the same food each time so it's really not a big deal. It's just the idea that it's ok to make me make special food when she isn't going to die eating whatever is put in front of her, she justs wants someone to pay attention to her. (And that right there is the crux of it. And probably quite a few 'dietary restrictions' fall into that category.)
I do get a fair share of guests who respond 'diabetic' when I ask them if there are any restrictions. And then they proceed to say, 'But don't go out of your way for me, honey, I'm on vacation, I'll adjust my meds according to whatever you're serving.'
On the same token I have a friend who was getting free meals for awhile (visiting a sick parent in the hospital) and she would send food back because she refused to eat anything that wasn't on her list of approved foods. I thought that was over the top.
Ahhh, yes. I have one like that too. She loves the fact the we give her the attention (and space when she wants it to do whatever) that she feels she does not get elsewhere. But I am small. I do not have the sheer numbers you hav eto contend with so a "special case" is not a big problem for me. As for food, mine just wants oatmeal and blueberries every morning - so that is what she gets - with muffins, fuit, coffee, etc and if it is good weather, on the porch because that is where she likes to have breakfast and read her book.
But that is what we are selling to our guests - Attention!
OK, my Aussies were looking over the flavored packs of apple cider and I almost went and got the real stuff (except I couldn't remember if I had any and how ripe it might be if I did). I made a comment about the apples being in season now and they should go to a cider mill (which they had done). I mentioned how I had made a cobbler with the pears from the tree across the street and some macs. She swooned. 'I haven't had a cobbler since I was little.' Guess what's for brekkie on Tuesday?
Then she went on about wanting waffles. She's just wanted a waffle for weeks and hasn't been able to find a place where she could get one. Breakfast on Tuesday? Waffles.
I CAN do the attention thing but not when it is demanded of me that I 'perform'.

inncogneeto said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
This is one I think I would no longer cater to. If she can eat that, why would I knock my socks off with ll the special stuff? UNLESS she comes often and then revenue beats pique!
Actually, I think she's done here. But everytime I say that she calls and makes a rez. She gets the same food each time so it's really not a big deal. It's just the idea that it's ok to make me make special food when she isn't going to die eating whatever is put in front of her, she justs wants someone to pay attention to her. (And that right there is the crux of it. And probably quite a few 'dietary restrictions' fall into that category.)
I do get a fair share of guests who respond 'diabetic' when I ask them if there are any restrictions. And then they proceed to say, 'But don't go out of your way for me, honey, I'm on vacation, I'll adjust my meds according to whatever you're serving.'
On the same token I have a friend who was getting free meals for awhile (visiting a sick parent in the hospital) and she would send food back because she refused to eat anything that wasn't on her list of approved foods. I thought that was over the top.
Ahhh, yes. I have one like that too. She loves the fact the we give her the attention (and space when she wants it to do whatever) that she feels she does not get elsewhere. But I am small. I do not have the sheer numbers you hav eto contend with so a "special case" is not a big problem for me. As for food, mine just wants oatmeal and blueberries every morning - so that is what she gets - with muffins, fuit, coffee, etc and if it is good weather, on the porch because that is where she likes to have breakfast and read her book.
OK, my Aussies were looking over the flavored packs of apple cider and I almost went and got the real stuff (except I couldn't remember if I had any and how ripe it might be if I did). I made a comment about the apples being in season now and they should go to a cider mill (which they had done). I mentioned how I had made a cobbler with the pears from the tree across the street and some macs. She swooned. 'I haven't had a cobbler since I was little.' Guess what's for brekkie on Tuesday?
Then she went on about wanting waffles. She's just wanted a waffle for weeks and hasn't been able to find a place where she could get one. Breakfast on Tuesday? Waffles.
I CAN do the attention thing but not when it is demanded of me that I 'perform'.
See that's the thing, so often it's put to us so negatively and there is the "we won't book if you won't do it" factor...
When they are drooling over your menu and lickin' their plates before you've put the plate down, of course you want to do somethin' special, makes you feel good!

inncogneeto said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
wink_smile.gif
See that's the thing, so often it's put to us so negatively and there is the "we won't book if you won't do it" factor...
When they are drooling over your menu and lickin' their plates before you've put the plate down, of course you want to do somethin' special, makes you feel good!
I am so over the 'we won't book if you won't cater' guest. I used to think we had to take everyone.
Had one a few weeks ago who had a list of what she couldn't/wouldn't eat. I guess my reply email sounded testy because her next one back (and there were quite a few) apologized if she sounded demanding. The first day she ate some of the breakfast, the next day she left early but she had some fruit before she went and she emailed when she got home and thanked us. Next time she can have the same brekkie her friend has here...egg & yogurt.
The problem was she started off with can't have this, don't want that. Once she was here she was nice as pie, which she probably was in the email, too, but I didn't take it that way.

I had that this weekend too! To go so far out of their way to be sure you know what they can/can't eat, then not even to show up for breakfast, let alone have the courtesy to tell me you're not COMING to breakfast! I think this upsets me even more than the person who's been booked for 6 months but never bothered to read any of our policies or their confirmation and so doesn't tell you until they sit down for breakfast that they can't eat what you made...grrrr!
On the plus side I did find some very yummy frozen waffles which are gluten free and I served them with a straweberry/blueberry compote on top. Nice to keep on hand for walk-ins and those who forget to mention their special needs..
Can you tell me the brand of those gluten free waffles that are so good?
Thanks!
Riki

I had that this weekend too! To go so far out of their way to be sure you know what they can/can't eat, then not even to show up for breakfast, let alone have the courtesy to tell me you're not COMING to breakfast! I think this upsets me even more than the person who's been booked for 6 months but never bothered to read any of our policies or their confirmation and so doesn't tell you until they sit down for breakfast that they can't eat what you made...grrrr!
On the plus side I did find some very yummy frozen waffles which are gluten free and I served them with a straweberry/blueberry compote on top. Nice to keep on hand for walk-ins and those who forget to mention their special needs..
Thanks!
Riki
The ones I got are "Van's". They had a few different varieties and I just got the regular.

Thanks!
Riki
The ones I got are "Van's". They had a few different varieties and I just got the regular.
Thanks! It's good to have a couple brands down in case I have to go look for some at the last minute..
Riki

You have my sympathies.
If I can make a suggestion...(I'll duck as you hurl the frying pan at the monitor)...when we have someone like that we do one of two things...offer the gluten person scrambled eggs or make them the same thing as everyone else except using gluten free products. Now, I know you said you didn't want to make 2 of everything, but we generally make a french toast or pancakes with the gluten free products if everyone else is having FT or pancakes. We cook the GF in a separate pan in case the allergy is severe.
As for snacks, I label everything 'contains gluten, contains wheat, contains nuts' whatever the allergy is. Unless it's a whole house of GF's or nut allergies, I don't go crazy with the snacks anymore. Those gluten free p-nut better cookies are great, or a bowl of fruit..
...(I'll duck as you hurl the frying pan at the monitor)...
Now, see Bree, that's why I love you....
You get me.
heart.gif

Yes, but did you toast those waffles in the same toaster that you toast your wheat bread in? They could have a reaction from the waffle coming in contact with the residue in the toaster, that's a violation!
We would have to have a separate wheat free kitchen to accommodate these guests to the standard, that's what I'm getting at...
It's impossible. I think for liability's sake, it's safer to not offer it anymore.
Microwave 'em ;-)
I just ask "what do you normally eat?" when I get a special dietary request. Saves a lot of headache.
My vegan was disappointed to here that the brownies I make weren't vegan. I just shrugged it off & told her that I'd have to be re-educated & re-programmed to bake that way. She had a basket with fresh fruit, nuts, and stuff like that she could eat & was very appreciative...she just thought the brownies looked dee-lish :)

Yes, but did you toast those waffles in the same toaster that you toast your wheat bread in? They could have a reaction from the waffle coming in contact with the residue in the toaster, that's a violation!
We would have to have a separate wheat free kitchen to accommodate these guests to the standard, that's what I'm getting at...
It's impossible. I think for liability's sake, it's safer to not offer it anymore.
Microwave 'em ;-)
I just ask "what do you normally eat?" when I get a special dietary request. Saves a lot of headache.
My vegan was disappointed to here that the brownies I make weren't vegan. I just shrugged it off & told her that I'd have to be re-educated & re-programmed to bake that way. She had a basket with fresh fruit, nuts, and stuff like that she could eat & was very appreciative...she just thought the brownies looked dee-lish :)
Samster said:
Microwave 'em ;-)
YES BROWNIES ARE DELISH! THEY HAVE EGGS IN THEM TOO! THEY ARE BROWNIES that is how they are made.
rolleyes.gif

She probably sneaked a bite when noone was looking...tee hee

Microwave 'em ;-)
Samster said:
Well my vegan brought enough food for five breakfasts... which is all in the freezer in case she comes back.
tounge_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Back