"I want a room with a view"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are the same one who want an entire list of things to do in the area, for one night, then they show up at 8pm and leave at breakfast. Why the list? I guess they were dreaming....
They are doing the 'Grand Tour' which includes one night here because there's nothing else to do here but shop and then off to the places with parks (we have 3 state parks and 12 conservation trails) and water (we've got that, too) and lobster (yeah, haven't seen one of those anywhere nearby either).
It's sad. There's so much to do here but it doesn't get the publicity like the shopping does.
Hmm .. lobster and shopping. Sounds like Freeport ME
You are right: beautiful, still the soft part of Maine, as Casco Bay starts the rocky coast east. But, anecdotally, many years ago, many years after I left native new england for the west, I brought DW (raised in L.A.) back. We rented an RV in Boston and wandered (and cooked) north at will on to nova scotia.
DW is not a shopper. Not at all. She will find corduroys or suede slip-ons in LL Bean catalog that she likes and buy three identical - good for the next three years. In nearly 40 years I can't recall she ever used lipstick or perfume, and, arguably, she doesn't need adornement.
But, we arrive in Freeport. I park the RV (lots of parking), and we all explore. Several hours later, she is back, zombied by some municipal pchycotropic drug. She has found a perfect jacket at Ann Taylor (?). I have to see it. I do.
I say "honey" (a name I have never used for my wife, but this can't really be her, so I am playing it neutral), "that is pretty, but it isn't really your size (too big for her petite), and a white linen jacket may not be what we need on a camping trip". She was entranced, not to be dissuaded. I think it was only at closing time that I regained normal communication and we moved on.
So, don't blame your guest; find out what psy-ops the chamber of commerce uses.

DW and I have discussed this phenomenon before because it affects the sale of our rooms and various packages. What we are selling, in many cases, is the idea of something and not the actual experience.
Our signature photograph is one of some red rocking chairs on our front porch. Guests often comment how inviting the photo is and that it helped them to choose us for their stay. The kicker is, no one ever sits in the rocking chairs!
We have a "Lazy Morning Package" that allows for a later scheduled breakfast and a later checkout time. Nine times out of Ten, guests show up to breakfast at the regular time and checkout and the regular time. They liked the idea of sleeping late, but their biological clocks had a different idea. They like the idea of checking out late, but they start getting hungry around checkout time, so leave to eat.
People just think they want something and when they arrive, reality sets in. There's nothing particularly romantic about our "Romance Package" i.e., chocolates, rose petals, champagne etc., because it's only as romantic as the individuals who ordered it. It becomes a grand gesture of sorts and becomes romantic because they had that mindset to begin with.
I've also wondered how much entries in our room's guestbooks influence the way other guests feel about their stay. More than once guest will be complimenting us not realizing that they are repeating verbatim what was written by another guests in the guest book or by me in our advertising. Did they really enjoy their stay or did they enjoy their stay because everyone before them did? Herd mentality?

DW and I have discussed this phenomenon before because it affects the sale of our rooms and various packages. What we are selling, in many cases, is the idea of something and not the actual experience.
Our signature photograph is one of some red rocking chairs on our front porch. Guests often comment how inviting the photo is and that it helped them to choose us for their stay. The kicker is, no one ever sits in the rocking chairs!
We have a "Lazy Morning Package" that allows for a later scheduled breakfast and a later checkout time. Nine times out of Ten, guests show up to breakfast at the regular time and checkout and the regular time. They liked the idea of sleeping late, but their biological clocks had a different idea. They like the idea of checking out late, but they start getting hungry around checkout time, so leave to eat.
People just think they want something and when they arrive, reality sets in. There's nothing particularly romantic about our "Romance Package" i.e., chocolates, rose petals, champagne etc., because it's only as romantic as the individuals who ordered it. It becomes a grand gesture of sorts and becomes romantic because they had that mindset to begin with.
I've also wondered how much entries in our room's guestbooks influence the way other guests feel about their stay. More than once guest will be complimenting us not realizing that they are repeating verbatim what was written by another guests in the guest book or by me in our advertising. Did they really enjoy their stay or did they enjoy their stay because everyone before them did? Herd mentality?.
Proud Texan said:
Did they really enjoy their stay or did they enjoy their stay because everyone before them did? Herd mentality?
This is why those room books are golden. If a guest is second-guessing themselves and they look theru the book and see that everyone else who wrote had a good time IN THAT ROOM then the relax and congratulate themselves on choosing the 'right' place. (Even tho every other B&B has the same books with the same comments.)

I've also wondered how much entries in our room's guestbooks influence the way other guests feel about their stay. More than once guest will be complimenting us not realizing that they are repeating verbatim what was written by another guests in the guest book or by me in our advertising. Did they really enjoy their stay or did they enjoy their stay because everyone before them did? Herd mentality?.
Proud Texan said:
Did they really enjoy their stay or did they enjoy their stay because everyone before them did? Herd mentality?
This is why those room books are golden. If a guest is second-guessing themselves and they look theru the book and see that everyone else who wrote had a good time IN THAT ROOM then the relax and congratulate themselves on choosing the 'right' place. (Even tho every other B&B has the same books with the same comments.)
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
If using psychology will get me their money, then I'm all in.
thumbs_up.gif

Proud Texan said:
The kicker is, no one ever sits in the rocking chairs!
Well of course not! Just like I'll bet Dallas doesn't have a lot of sidewalk cafes. You're in the same boat we are. Too hot and humid 45% of the year, too cold and windy 45% of the year, and an unpredictable 10% window when it MIGHT be comfortable to sit outside.
And don't tell me about cool mornings and evenings in the summer. That's when hungry mosquitos come out!

Proud Texan said:
Well of course not! Just like I'll bet Dallas doesn't have a lot of sidewalk cafes. You're in the same boat we are. Too hot and humid 45% of the year, too cold and windy 45% of the year, and an unpredictable 10% window when it MIGHT be comfortable to sit outside.
And don't tell me about cool mornings and evenings in the summer. That's when hungry mosquitos come out!
We just had a biz person here for a couple of days. Another person on the same job was assigned to the HIE. The person at the HIE complained long and loudly about the fact there is absolutely no outdoor space. She was confined to her room if she wanted to get any work done back at the hotel. Whereas, the woman who was here had the whole yard to enjoy, and she did.
It doesn't happen often, but when it does, everyone is happy.
The hotel next door has a fire pit with 8 or so chairs right next to the sidewalk. Sheer genuis. Even the old guy who lives on the other side sits out there of an evening and chats up all the guests.

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
If using psychology will get me their money, then I'm all in.
thumbs_up.gif

The most important marketing lession I have ever learnt is a very simple one - you are not selling bed and breakfast rooms (sounds crackers?)
you are actually selling
(1) have a hassel free stay so your wife doesn't shout at you
(2) the convenience of being near to XYZ
(3) peace and quiet (so not hasseled buy XYZ)
its not abut features its about what they do for the customer ie off street parking - don't worry about your car, parking charges or tickets - have one less stree in your stay away.
This is the way to sell your place - not features but the benefits of features.

Proud Texan said:
We just had a biz person here for a couple of days. Another person on the same job was assigned to the HIE. The person at the HIE complained long and loudly about the fact there is absolutely no outdoor space. She was confined to her room if she wanted to get any work done back at the hotel. Whereas, the woman who was here had the whole yard to enjoy, and she did.
It doesn't happen often, but when it does, everyone is happy.
The hotel next door has a fire pit with 8 or so chairs right next to the sidewalk. Sheer genuis. Even the old guy who lives on the other side sits out there of an evening and chats up all the guests.
Madeleine said:
That's what you call "The whole nine yards"
cry_smile.gif

Back