Ice maker busted

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Not good in these temps to have the ice maker go out. Dh has pulled the fridge (side by side) out and reconnected it all, cleaned the lines, etc but no ice is making. He checked the filter and the whole nine yards. I have been buying bags of ice and am now the stingy ice giver. I am asking if someone wants a glass of ice instead of putting out the ice bucket to melt.
This is not good, he made me swear not to call a service man today as he will pull it all apart tonight. I am pouring ice into the tray and using the dispenser so that is working okay, but buying it by the bag is starting to add up. If it is not one thing it is another!
The list goes on and on and I had to laugh an outlook reminder came up to take some new porch pics with a lemonade tray out there and the porch is not even done, 9 months later! But discovering the untreated wood beneath the boards has made it a huge project - jacking the porch up to replace all the boards and structure beneath. One day...
As you may recall the author who has written books on front porches will be here next week...I am so sad it is not complete. I had envisioned photo of him siging my books on the front porch.

We got our icemaker online. It is not large, but has a water reservoir and just plugs in so you can put it anywhere since it does not need a water line. I think it was only around $200. You fill it up and as ice melts remakes it. I don't know if it would make enough at once for you though.
Riki

YS - Yeah I have those going in the guest fridge freezer, I can't seem to make enough for our needs here, it is warm, and in fact humid with this on and off rain. Ice cube trays can't cut the mustard.
I just convinced a freshly checked in guest that the chilled water would make his teeth ache (so he didn't need ice). This is true! I offered ice for the sodas or iced tea tho. Our guests yesterday HAD to have ice in her oj. See how it is, I am like this ice horder at the moment (secretly and to y'all on the forum).
Riki have you had any issues with it leaking? I know another inn-mates began to leak and cause strife that way.

We got our icemaker online. It is not large, but has a water reservoir and just plugs in so you can put it anywhere since it does not need a water line. I think it was only around $200. You fill it up and as ice melts remakes it. I don't know if it would make enough at once for you though.
Riki.
What kind is it? That sounds cool, we haven't gotten one because we haven't seen any that keep the ice frozen, they make it, but don't keep it frozen.

YS - Yeah I have those going in the guest fridge freezer, I can't seem to make enough for our needs here, it is warm, and in fact humid with this on and off rain. Ice cube trays can't cut the mustard.
I just convinced a freshly checked in guest that the chilled water would make his teeth ache (so he didn't need ice). This is true! I offered ice for the sodas or iced tea tho. Our guests yesterday HAD to have ice in her oj. See how it is, I am like this ice horder at the moment (secretly and to y'all on the forum).
Riki have you had any issues with it leaking? I know another inn-mates began to leak and cause strife that way..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki have you had any issues with it leaking? I know another inn-mates began to leak and cause strife that way.
Nope and we have it in the dining room on Chris's wood flooring for two years now. If you like I will check the brand and model name. But I have to warn you it only makes something like 10 glasses worth of ice at a time. I am not sure how long it takes to refill but should tell you when you google it.
Riki

Riki have you had any issues with it leaking? I know another inn-mates began to leak and cause strife that way..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Riki have you had any issues with it leaking? I know another inn-mates began to leak and cause strife that way
Our latest one (third in seven years) seems to be much better built than the previous models - no leaking and not sensitive to power glitches.

The first one we had was a U-Line and lasted 26 years. It was outside in the heat on the aft deck. It made/kept ice just fine until that one day when "it let the smoke out." Given the track record of the first one, I bought another U-Line. I don't expect the newer version of anything to last as long, but if I get half as many years out of it, I'd be happy. I know people who replace their Raritans every 5 years. This makes 22 pounds of ice per day which is enough to meet our needs. If we need to fill a cooler, we go buy a few bags for that, or I start moving ice to the big freezer a few days ahead of time to keep it making ice.

If it makes you feel any better we are ice hoarders at ALL times! With our puny kitchen and room for only one fridge it takes all the ice we make in a single day just to serve ice water at breakfast. I even have it in my confirmation letter...we are unable to provide ice, but do have a fridge for anything that you need to keep cold.
Most people either need ice for coolers (and there is a convenience store .5 mile away), or just a little for their adult beverages...they are free to bring their own and store it either in their own cooler or in the small freezer compartment of our guest fridge.
Riki, what you have sounds like it might work here, although with 9 rooms I doubt it would be enough...

If it makes you feel any better we are ice hoarders at ALL times! With our puny kitchen and room for only one fridge it takes all the ice we make in a single day just to serve ice water at breakfast. I even have it in my confirmation letter...we are unable to provide ice, but do have a fridge for anything that you need to keep cold.
Most people either need ice for coolers (and there is a convenience store .5 mile away), or just a little for their adult beverages...they are free to bring their own and store it either in their own cooler or in the small freezer compartment of our guest fridge.
Riki, what you have sounds like it might work here, although with 9 rooms I doubt it would be enough...
InnsiderInfo said:
On the other hand, since they run about $150 (I think I'm not sure) maybe you could afford to have a couple. This one has been running for two years with no problems. I'm not sure if they only come in one size or not. I'll have to remember to get the make and model and take a look.
RIki

Back