If you were to give only one PR tip to an innkeeper, what would that be?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a supply of excellent photos in your "tool box".
I can come up with text just about anytime about anything - wrote a pitch and submitted it 8/27 re Destinations for a History Buff about the history located in WV. At 9:00 AM 9-02-2016, I have back-to-back online interviews with the person who requested the info. She is doing East,Midwest, and West and chose WV for the East.
There have been other things I could not do because I did not have the photos. Even this one wants photos of the things we re going to talk about. There are 2 things I do not have photos of - BUT I know the CVBs in the State and will receive the photos I want tomorrow. Good photos will not cut it - you need EXCELLENT and if possible in 300dpi..
Man, what a pro-fess-ion-al!!! Super impressive.

Don't nickle and dime people..
That is so true.
I was speaking to a friend last week who booked a B&B single occupancy in a double room. When he arrived there were two sets of towels, a bottle of water on each side of the bed and 4 chocolates on the courtesy tray. When he came back after his day out they'd taken away 1 set of towels, 1 bottle of water and 2 chocolates.
Okay, semi-irrelevant, but I took my daughter out to a nice family-style restaurant this week (she's 19 months but a big eater) and the waitress took her set of cutlery away. So technically she's not a person? I was so petty and enraged that she did not check on us once, so obviously no tip for her. We shared a napkin in which I cleaned up waffle mess off me, her, her highchair AND the floor plus my own face (the food is so good there, though...)
She's almost 2 and the server took away her utensils? What's she supposed to eat with? Are you expected to feed her? At that age?
And she didn't come back? Was it a buffet or something?
BTW, this is why utensils disappear from other tables...

That is so true.
I was speaking to a friend last week who booked a B&B single occupancy in a double room. When he arrived there were two sets of towels, a bottle of water on each side of the bed and 4 chocolates on the courtesy tray. When he came back after his day out they'd taken away 1 set of towels, 1 bottle of water and 2 chocolates.
Okay, semi-irrelevant, but I took my daughter out to a nice family-style restaurant this week (she's 19 months but a big eater) and the waitress took her set of cutlery away. So technically she's not a person? I was so petty and enraged that she did not check on us once, so obviously no tip for her. We shared a napkin in which I cleaned up waffle mess off me, her, her highchair AND the floor plus my own face (the food is so good there, though...)
She's almost 2 and the server took away her utensils? What's she supposed to eat with? Are you expected to feed her? At that age?
And she didn't come back? Was it a buffet or something?
BTW, this is why utensils disappear from other tables...
She ate with my fork. I ate with the coffee spoon. I suffered due to pettiness. She's a teeny tiny girl (she was a preemie) but with a steady walk and eleven teeth (!!) The waitress had her hand on the second cutlery set... "Is it just you eating?" "Well, her and I... so..." Then she took it.
Now that I "waitress" (I use that term loosely as I serve 2-3 times a week; admin is my background) I was speechless. It wasn't that we were at a super fancy place where seeing a baby (who never made one peep) would make you uncomfortable. I would ask if she wanted milk, more napkins, etc.

So true, charge enough initially that you can appear generous with what you offer.
Exactly. I wanted to add more amenities for our guests but with taxes, utilities and food going up I wasn't taking the hit. So I added $10 a night to each room and now all guests get a plate of truffles and a locally made popcorn treat upon arrival. This increase also covers when I put out smores treats to take out to the fire (which in itself costs time and money as seasoned firewood aint cheap). Free bottled water and soda as well. The place we went a few weeks ago was almost $300 a night and along with the moldly bathroom there was an honor bar where they charged $1.00 for a bottle of water or soda. A bottle of water works out to about $.025, so isn't a soda. Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for.

So true, charge enough initially that you can appear generous with what you offer.
Exactly. I wanted to add more amenities for our guests but with taxes, utilities and food going up I wasn't taking the hit. So I added $10 a night to each room and now all guests get a plate of truffles and a locally made popcorn treat upon arrival. This increase also covers when I put out smores treats to take out to the fire (which in itself costs time and money as seasoned firewood aint cheap). Free bottled water and soda as well. The place we went a few weeks ago was almost $300 a night and along with the moldly bathroom there was an honor bar where they charged $1.00 for a bottle of water or soda. A bottle of water works out to about $.025, so isn't a soda. Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for.
MtnKeeper said:
Free bottled water and soda as well. The place we went a few weeks ago was almost $300 a night and along with the moldly bathroom there was an honor bar where they charged $1.00 for a bottle of water or soda. A bottle of water works out to about $.025, so isn't a soda. Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for.
Devil's advocate here (and we don't charge for drinks)...
We won't get bottled water for our guests, a few reasons:
#1 we are not a third world country, so drink our delicious mountain water,
#2 stop using already with the plastic bottles, and caps that get tossed around, and
#3 they take 4 or 5 bottles per person, they take them when they go hike, and even when they leave.
Whose back has to go to the store, shop and put them in the cart, put them on the conveyor, put them in the car, carrying them from out there in here, put them where we stow them, put some in the guest fridge or haul them up to the guest room. All the time. MY BACK. My achin' back, amongst everything else I have to shop for all the time. So they aren't .25 cents a piece, they are closer to $150 a piece or more, no I am not being a smart aleck.
"Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for." No it doesn't, they take it and don't give a thought about it.
I would PAY YOU $5 to not ask me for bottled water.

Like JB I figure there is good mountain water here straight from the tap so I don't offer bottled water, but do offer a large ice machine and several store brand colas in each room, also coffee, decaf, tea, hot chocolate as options, fridge and microwave in each room. I'm a cheapskate, $300 a night wouldn't be in my budget no matter how nice the place, for my guests that should cover a holiday weekend or longer during the week.

MtnKeeper said:
Free bottled water and soda as well. The place we went a few weeks ago was almost $300 a night and along with the moldly bathroom there was an honor bar where they charged $1.00 for a bottle of water or soda. A bottle of water works out to about $.025, so isn't a soda. Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for.
#2 stop using already with the plastic bottles, and caps that get tossed around, and
#3 they take 4 or 5 bottles per person, they take them when they go hike, and even when they leave.
Whose back has to go to the store, shop and put them in the cart, put them on the conveyor, put them in the car, carrying them from out there in here, put them where we stow them, put some in the guest fridge or haul them up to the guest room. All the time. MY BACK. My achin' back, amongst everything else I have to shop for all the time. So they aren't .25 cents a piece, they are closer to $150 a piece or more, no I am not being a smart aleck.
"Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for." No it doesn't, they take it and don't give a thought about it.
JBloggs said:
I get if you have bottled water or soda on premises it's cheesy to ask a guest already paying premium rates to fork over another buck for a water. Better to not have it at all. Because, yeah, in a lot of places in the USA you can drink the water right out of the tap with no problems. (Not everywhere, mind, but a lot of places.) Bring your own bottle. Fill up. Go out for a walk.
(We just had a family here who kept going into the kitchen for water. For some reason they thought the water in the kitchen was different from the water in their very own bathroom. They kept taking glasses, getting water and then, instead of leaving the dirty glass right there in the kitchen, they'd bring it out and leave it on the counter with the coffee supplies for some other person to pick up and use.)

Like JB I figure there is good mountain water here straight from the tap so I don't offer bottled water, but do offer a large ice machine and several store brand colas in each room, also coffee, decaf, tea, hot chocolate as options, fridge and microwave in each room. I'm a cheapskate, $300 a night wouldn't be in my budget no matter how nice the place, for my guests that should cover a holiday weekend or longer during the week.
JimBoone said:
I'm a cheapskate, $300 a night wouldn't be in my budget no matter how nice the place, for my guests that should cover a holiday weekend or longer during the week.
Last year I decided to treat Gomez and myself to a really nice stay with some of the money my mom gave me right before she died. (So, yeah, the whole trip was freighted with baggage, but, hey, we never know what our guests are going thru, either, do we?) I opted to spend $100/night more than I have ever spent before to get everything I wanted: fireplace in room, views, gourmet breakfast, location.
We got location and views. The fireplace we were told could only be used for 10 minutes at a time. The gourmet breakfast was cold. I mean, it was supposed to be served hot, but the innkeeper was talking and it sat in the kitchen getting cold. Hot food first, that's my motto.
So, I'm now planning this year's getaway. (See other post: Travels with Mort.) And I'm looking at a motel with a fireplace and views for $95/night. Because I TRIED to spend more to get more and I don't feel like it was worth it. And I will expect NOTHING from this $95/night motel with views of the bay I hope to live on in a few years.
Oh, yes, we did get a packet of candy in the room. 2 teeny pieces of chocolate covered blueberries.

JimBoone said:
I'm a cheapskate, $300 a night wouldn't be in my budget no matter how nice the place, for my guests that should cover a holiday weekend or longer during the week.
Last year I decided to treat Gomez and myself to a really nice stay with some of the money my mom gave me right before she died. (So, yeah, the whole trip was freighted with baggage, but, hey, we never know what our guests are going thru, either, do we?) I opted to spend $100/night more than I have ever spent before to get everything I wanted: fireplace in room, views, gourmet breakfast, location.
We got location and views. The fireplace we were told could only be used for 10 minutes at a time. The gourmet breakfast was cold. I mean, it was supposed to be served hot, but the innkeeper was talking and it sat in the kitchen getting cold. Hot food first, that's my motto.
So, I'm now planning this year's getaway. (See other post: Travels with Mort.) And I'm looking at a motel with a fireplace and views for $95/night. Because I TRIED to spend more to get more and I don't feel like it was worth it. And I will expect NOTHING from this $95/night motel with views of the bay I hope to live on in a few years.
Oh, yes, we did get a packet of candy in the room. 2 teeny pieces of chocolate covered blueberries.
I hope your trip this year surprises you in a good way as an event to be remembered.

MtnKeeper said:
JBloggs said:
I get if you have bottled water or soda on premises it's cheesy to ask a guest already paying premium rates to fork over another buck for a water. Better to not have it at all. Because, yeah, in a lot of places in the USA you can drink the water right out of the tap with no problems. (Not everywhere, mind, but a lot of places.) Bring your own bottle. Fill up. Go out for a walk.
(We just had a family here who kept going into the kitchen for water. For some reason they thought the water in the kitchen was different from the water in their very own bathroom. They kept taking glasses, getting water and then, instead of leaving the dirty glass right there in the kitchen, they'd bring it out and leave it on the counter with the coffee supplies for some other person to pick up and use.)
Guests did that this week too, took every glass I had and could not seem to get their faucet to work in their room.

JimBoone said:
I hope your trip this year surprises you in a good way as an event to be remembered.
JimBoone said:
We'll be with friend we love and it's always a treat no matter what we suffer thru!

MtnKeeper said:
See we charge £1 ($1.50) per bottle for bottled water as we have world famous water here that comes out of the tap for us so yes will charge for bottled -- however if I lived in London I would give away as the water there is very recycled and often brown so would expect it.

MtnKeeper said:
Big hotels, that have a bazillion dollars coming in per night charge $7.00 a bottle.
We don't.

MtnKeeper said:
JBloggs said:
Do%20Not%20Drink.jpg

MtnKeeper said:
We suffered through the dilemma of bottled water...some guests feeling entitled and taking 4/person/day, and complaining about it. We wanted to be accommodating but like you, JB, it was costing us a pretty penny in time and $$. This is how we solved the problem.
Now we put out 2 bottles of water in each room at check-in with a note that says
" (Our B+B) is fortunate to have excellent quality tap water with no need for chlorine or other added chemicals. Nonetheless, we are pleased to prove two initial bottles of spring water as an extra courtesy to our traveling guests who prefer bottled water. Please either refill the bottles with tap water to take on your adventures, or set the empties aside so that we can recycle the plastic. Enjoy!"
That effectively took care of the issues. No one asks for more. Plastic is recycled. I can plan on the amount needed based on reservations and we do not appear to be tight wads. Win-Win

MtnKeeper said:
We suffered through the dilemma of bottled water...some guests feeling entitled and taking 4/person/day, and complaining about it. We wanted to be accommodating but like you, JB, it was costing us a pretty penny in time and $$. This is how we solved the problem.
Now we put out 2 bottles of water in each room at check-in with a note that says
" (Our B+B) is fortunate to have excellent quality tap water with no need for chlorine or other added chemicals. Nonetheless, we are pleased to prove two initial bottles of spring water as an extra courtesy to our traveling guests who prefer bottled water. Please either refill the bottles with tap water to take on your adventures, or set the empties aside so that we can recycle the plastic. Enjoy!"
That effectively took care of the issues. No one asks for more. Plastic is recycled. I can plan on the amount needed based on reservations and we do not appear to be tight wads. Win-Win
Silverspoon said:
That is excellent!

Cooking is in an honest profession where you cannot hide and let others do the work for you. You have to show up, work hard and prove you can do it faster and better. And find a mentor who will recognize your talent and push you in the right direction.
Antique silver cutlery

I also had to raise my rates for only the second time in twelve years. My food costs have doubled and electricity too. I refuse to downgrade the quality of the food I serve to save money. People do remember.
Amenities such as fresh ice, high grade candy bars, fresh baked cookies and organic sodas in the guest refrigerator are still included. All these things add up.
I do not do bottled water as we are on a mountain spring and my water tops any bottled stuff I have ever tasted. After I tell guests, I am amazed at how many folks continue to consume their expensive bottled water while staying here. I guess you are born with your IQ.
Nickel and dime folks and they will feel abused and angry. That stays with them long after they go home. Charge enough to cover it all and then you can afford to be generous with the little extras.

MtnKeeper said:
JBloggs said:
Do%20Not%20Drink.jpg

Somebody will anyway. lol

That is so true.
Highlands John said:
That is so true.
I'd be super peeved they went into my room for something other than cleaning or an emergency.
Last year I had a couple of young guys stay for the third time. The last morning they were the sole diners at the second seating for breakfast. Since two rooms had already checked out I went upstairs while they ate and gathered up glassware, coffee cups, trash, etc. from the two vacant rooms. While I was up there I noticed the departing guests in both rooms had declined to take their Dove candy bars with them. Okay, not an issue, it happens quite often.
After the guys drove away I went back upstairs to find they had gone into each of the vacated rooms and treated themselves to the remaining candy bars! It was cheesy but I did get a laugh as young men seem to consume their weight in food. I am sure they enjoyed their pilfered treats all the way back home.
BTW, when they came back during ski season I made a light joke about it letting them know I had noticed.

Back