Industrial sugar

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish we did not have to do it, but we do have yellow as an option and it is used regularly. No one has ever asked for another color.

I wish we did not have to do it, but we do have yellow as an option and it is used regularly. No one has ever asked for another color..
I have done some research on artificial sweetener studies. Ignoring the "do artificial sweeteners contribute to obesity/metabolic disorder," splenda seems to be the least of the evils. People cling to stevia/agave for some reason, but they are no better than the others, per testing.
Yes sugar is nice, but the known damaging effects are considerably worse than the known effects of splenda. Sugar is known to cause tooth issues, are empty calories, and contribute to a range of health issues including diabetes.
If someone had to pick something over artificials, I would say honey. Of course, vegans will avoid honey as it is sourced from animals (bees).

I wish we did not have to do it, but we do have yellow as an option and it is used regularly. No one has ever asked for another color..
I have done some research on artificial sweetener studies. Ignoring the "do artificial sweeteners contribute to obesity/metabolic disorder," splenda seems to be the least of the evils. People cling to stevia/agave for some reason, but they are no better than the others, per testing.
Yes sugar is nice, but the known damaging effects are considerably worse than the known effects of splenda. Sugar is known to cause tooth issues, are empty calories, and contribute to a range of health issues including diabetes.
If someone had to pick something over artificials, I would say honey. Of course, vegans will avoid honey as it is sourced from animals (bees).
so you'll be offering honey and yellow when you open for business?

so you'll be offering honey and yellow when you open for business?
I plan to offer most choices and adjust per usage. Just because you know something doesn't mean you can ram it down the throats of others (literally?). If someone has been using something for 10 years, then not offering it is not going to thrill them.
The comments are my observations on the actual ramifications of artificial and natural sweeteners.
We will likely weave our observations into appropriate parts of our business, as part of our theme is a wellness aspect. (I have Biology degree and have done reams of research on various med/nutritional studies.)

Vegans also will not eat white sugar, FYI.

Vegans also will not eat white sugar, FYI.
White sugar is sourced from from cane or sugar beets. Not sure what makes it out of bounds to plant only eaters? If I was vegan, I would not reject it (I was vegetarian for a while, years ago).

undersea, if you were vegan you would research and discover that bone char (ground up bones from cattle) is used in processing white sugar from cane.
so you either would not be vegan or you would likely go with sugar made from beets. i don't know if all beet sugar is animal product free.
somewhere on forum there is a discussion about bone char and sugar processing.

I had all of the sweeteners available - blue, pink, yellow, green, white sugar, raw sugar, agave, and honey. Guests overall went for white sugar, raw sugar, and yellow the most. West Coast guests definitely preferred the more "natural" sweeteners.
I ended up sending the leftover artificial sweeteners to work with my dh for their coffee area when we closed.
I really think that if I was still open, I would only have some kind of stevia in addition to the sugars, agave, and honey. There are so many people that have to have honey in their tea, so a must have.

undersea, if you were vegan you would research and discover that bone char (ground up bones from cattle) is used in processing white sugar from cane.
so you either would not be vegan or you would likely go with sugar made from beets. i don't know if all beet sugar is animal product free.
somewhere on forum there is a discussion about bone char and sugar processing..
Interesting, learn something new every day; per Wikipedia, some white sugar is processed with bone char or coal based activated charcoal.
As an omnivore though, that is not my concern. White sugar is a nasty thing to put in the body just from a health point of view. Small quantities not a big deal. But the American diet seems to be about 3 pounds of sugar a week.
I add sugar rarely. And will take Splenda any day over sugar for heavy use.

somewhere on forum there is a discussion about bone char and sugar processing..
Beet sugar is vegan friendly. It is only sugar cane that is sometimes processed with bone char. In Canada there is just one factory that uses bone char, Rogers factory 10 (inkjet code) uses bone char, Lantic and Redpath are 100% vegan friendly.
In the US, all beet sugar is vegan friendly, for cane sugar, the list of companies is at http://veganproducts.org/sugar.html
I always use vegan friendly sugar for my jams/preserves (and never add honey).

Stock yellow only. I am one of the minority that has a very bad aftertaste from stevia. But otherwise we stock the white sugar (vegan friendly). The raw isn't really available, here. Sometimes we have people who ask for brown, but brown is actually a totally fake product. They add molasses to the white stuff..
Jon Sable said:
.....Sometimes we have people who ask for brown, but brown is actually a totally fake product. They add molasses to the white stuff.
I grew up with making our own brown sugar. Just add molasses to the white sugar and work it together with a folk.

Now that you mention it, I'd say use of artificial sweeteners is about half of what it was a few years ago. We stock yellow and pink.
This year we have our own honey, mainly sourced from blackberry and lavender, which we offer for tea drinkers.

Back