Inn being sued

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on the fence about this one (1) we are private establishments and have the right to refuse service to anyone (2) however their money is as green as anyone elses (3) the owners may have had a genuine concern as to how other guests would react which is understandable (although they list the reason for refusal as their "personal feelings").
But most importantly until the federal and state government recognizes gay marriage (which they should in my opinion), no individual business should be sued for refusal of service in this case. The "Law" and "government" can't have their cake and eat it too..
The reason they are being sued is because of the following laws...
"Vermont and federal law prohibit employment, housing or public accommodation discrimination or retaliation based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability. Vermont law also prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, marital status, minor children, receipt of public assistance, HIV status, place of birth, and age over 18. It is also unlawful to retaliate or discriminate against individuals that have alleged discrimination." From www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/discrimination.php
I assume that they are "public accommodations" they are subject to the law and they cannot refuse service.
You can refuse service to anyone... just not based on any of the above reasons. And Vermont is one of the states that does recognize same-sex marriage. Started the 1st of September 2009. They were also the first state to introduce civil unions on the 1st of July 2000.
It is a state by state code, tho (other than the part you quoted that specifically states 'Federal'). Altho it applies in this instance, many owners on here are free to select who they want in their inn based on all of those VT criteria you quoted. (As the recent query on PAII indicated, refusing young children is not against many state regulations.)
A lot of B&B's let the guest self-select themselves in or out (or obstinately wave a 'sue me' flag at those looking for a test case) by the words they use or don't use.
They didn't need to make the comments they did. Simply could have said "sorry we have nothing available for the dates you want." 'nuff said.
My philosophy was...... It is my house and I will allow whomever I want or not want in it.

I am on the fence about this one (1) we are private establishments and have the right to refuse service to anyone (2) however their money is as green as anyone elses (3) the owners may have had a genuine concern as to how other guests would react which is understandable (although they list the reason for refusal as their "personal feelings").
But most importantly until the federal and state government recognizes gay marriage (which they should in my opinion), no individual business should be sued for refusal of service in this case. The "Law" and "government" can't have their cake and eat it too..
"Vermont and federal law prohibit employment, housing or public accommodation discrimination or retaliation based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability. Vermont law also prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, marital status, minor children, receipt of public assistance, HIV status, place of birth, and age over 18. It is also unlawful to retaliate or discriminate against individuals that have alleged discrimination." From www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/discrimination.php
I assume that they are "public accommodations" they are subject to the law and they cannot refuse service.
You can refuse service to anyone... just not based on any of the above reasons. And Vermont is one of the states that does recognize same-sex marriage. Started the 1st of September 2009. They were also the first state to introduce civil unions on the 1st of July 2000.
It is a state by state code, tho (other than the part you quoted that specifically states 'Federal'). Altho it applies in this instance, many owners on here are free to select who they want in their inn based on all of those VT criteria you quoted. (As the recent query on PAII indicated, refusing young children is not against many state regulations.)
A lot of B&B's let the guest self-select themselves in or out (or obstinately wave a 'sue me' flag at those looking for a test case) by the words they use or don't use.
This is a Vermont case, so those are the statutes. Here we have federal laws that cover many of those.
That is never to say that it isn't done, quietly. And I'm sure many B&Bs do it, including a few that I know. But it's not something I can condone, certainly considering that I've been on the end of that discrimination stick a few times.
But if you are stupid enough to say that on the telephone, you are asking to be sued.

This is a Vermont case, so those are the statutes. Here we have federal laws that cover many of those.
That is never to say that it isn't done, quietly. And I'm sure many B&Bs do it, including a few that I know. But it's not something I can condone, certainly considering that I've been on the end of that discrimination stick a few times.
But if you are stupid enough to say that on the telephone, you are asking to be sued.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Even worse, they put it in writing. I guess not surprising, as they don't see anything "wrong" with their discrimination. This seems like it will be a very quick suit. The comments on that article are horrific.

In this day and age, with all the PC Police around and lawyers looking for revenue, these innkeepers are incredibly stupid to have made such a statement in ANY way but especially in writing.
Personally, I do not care who does what behind their closed door (as long as it is NOT with a child) as long as they do not disturb the rest of the house. Money is green - period. None of my business.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Even worse, they put it in writing. I guess not surprising, as they don't see anything "wrong" with their discrimination. This seems like it will be a very quick suit. The comments on that article are horrific.
The anonymity of the Internet breeds it. Things that good folk were never say in public they feel perfectly free to say in the anonymity of the Intenet.

Back